• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to select a scope for my Rem700 AAC in 308win. I have a 20moa Picatinny scope base from McRees Precision already installed.

I'm not looking to make this a 1000yd rifle, so 20+ magnification is not necessary. I'm thinking somewhere near a 4-14x magnification is ideal and a 50mm objective is preferred. I have looked at Burris, Vortex, Leupold, etc. Currently in my cart I have a Millet 4-16x50 TRS-1 Tac selected, although the budget would allow for more moneys if it can be justified.

I want the exposed target turrets, I would prefer an illuminated reticle, I'm not quite sure I'd be stuck on a FFP or 2FP either way, they both offer benefits to me being a new longer range gunner. Ideally, would spend less than $600, not including rings. I know some of you guys will come up with some excellent suggestions I have either missed or missed by bias of namebrand.

Please assist, bday is right around the corner and wife needs a list!!!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    forgot to mention, my ONLY holdup with Vortex currently is....buddy of mine bought same rifle, same stock, and now beat me to buying Vortex Viper PST I was looking at. Trying to get something different, hahaha.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before you buy what is your real intended purpose for this rifle?

SFP is cheaper but FFP is preferred if you want to use the reticle to judge distance due to not having to be precisely set at a specific magnification.

You said you're not interested in 1000 yards but how far do you want to take this rifle? Either way 24X isn't needed for 1K any way. A scope with 10 or 12 power is sufficient for 1K.

If your budget is $600 then forget about illumination and put the money into better turrets and glass.

Make sure that your reticle and turrets have matching adjustment. IE: both in MOA or MRAD. I prefer MRAD as everything is based off of 1000. MRAD is NOT metric as people like to think.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ditto bigbulls. Add reticle choices with consideration of how it will overlay your aiming point on the target. You want to center on a button, a shirt pocket or 10 black circle.

I run two Leupold VX3 6.5X20, fine crosshair. One has fixed target turrets that have full length caps. The other has removable turrets but caps only fit when turrets are removed. These days I use more Kentucky Windage then turret adjustments but I'm not chasing X Rings anymore. Lol

daehawc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you military? Vortex offers 35% off. I have the same rifle with the pst 6-24 FFP. I don't have a ton of experience but it seems to me like a very good scope and had great reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not military, nor prior service. I do however run a Pep Boys...anything there? jk

I think I've centered on the Vortex HST 6-24x50. Likely will never use the 24, but if I ever get the chance to, I will have it. Looking at the MOA reticle. It seems easy to understand. Only downside is its not FFP, but with a basic knowledge base to work with, that will not be an obstacle. Particularly so since I will be almost 100% using it on the range with predetermined distances.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As others have said, unless this is a low light shooting gun, skip the lighted reticle and put that money on better glass! At $600 with your requirements, you are going to get sub par optics with the lighted reticle!

If you can go with a little less magnification and still want some light on the reticle, check out Trijicon! A friend of mine has one and if I had the extra cash for one, I would be putting it on my .308 setup.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

There are two basic types of mil dots, USMC and Army. They differ shape and slightly in dot value. You will get a users guide with the scope. But the link will give you an idea of whats involved. Your ammo must be balisticly consistent and the rifle up to the task MOA wise. Shooting known range distances is fine but you must practice range finding and bullet drop math computations for proficiency. With you application, a BDC scope may be worth another look.

On occasion I ask folks that have Mil Dot scopes what 1/60° is and they will not know it equals 1 Milliradian, a basis for calculations. I only infer they paid big bucks for something they will not get value from due to lack of knowledge and application. I do not disparage your choice, just prompting you to practice with the "System". Good luck.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There are plenty of actually useable scopes with actually useable reticles. Leupold and Nikon(w/ SPOT ON)come to mind. IMO,MilDot MilRad and such are not worth using unless you use them as a profession. Professional snipers have hours and sometimes days to do their computations. Hopefully,you will not. Civilian snipers do not deserve these reticles. I do not want my tax money going for a $3000. scope that will be used at the average range of 80yds.

Snap back to reality before you are cool,broke,and miss your shot because you desperately tried to over think the problem. --- SAWMAN

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My scope notes

Here is the notes I came up with from last months scope research for myself. I'll prolly take the Monarch 5 or Bushnell Elite 6500 from pics I added.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 151
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 150

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better pics

Better pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1,018.3 KB · Views: 144
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      978.8 KB · Views: 139

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ended up with Vortex Viper HS-T 6.24x50. Appears I can install with "low" rings as well. I can lay the scope directly on the scope base and still have clearance with the barrel and the objective lens. Sweet!

Top Bottom