• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hsif der

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just bought a G40 for hunting this year and I need some help with the RMR. I am fairly settled on this particular sight but I am putting this together specifically to hunt with. That being said, I have never shot one of these sights so I have no experience to base this off.

I was leaning toward the 3.5MOA LED. Can somebody with real shooting experience give me some insight as to if this is a good decision? Is the dual illuminated version worth saving the few bucks over? Should I go with a larger MOA?

I appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will be watching this thread closely to see what kind of info comes up.

I have owned a Glock20 for some time now and it is set up to hunt with. I have killed numerous animals with it including deer,hogs,and two unfortunate ol' yotes.

My plan is to sell this gun and put together a hunting package as you have described. Personally,I would rather have a 2-3MOA sight,however I want something of good quality and super sturdy. I feel that the RMR is a good choice however I have been looking at the options.

If you get this gun put together I would very much like to shoot it. We could go to my range and use my ammo if that helps.

Any new info will be appreciated. --- SAWMAN

Hsif der

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suspect I will buy the RMR writhin the next 2-3 months. I got no problem letting you shoot it.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Personally the only weakness with the dual illumination is shooting from a dark area into well lit area. If the difference is enough the door can get washed out. How far out do you plan on using this? The smaller dot will provide some more precision at distance but seems to be very much a personal preference. The larger dots are usually quicker to acquire. With the adjustable brightness models you usually can bump up the intensity enough that a fine dot gets a lot of bleed over and appears much larger.

PS I sell this stuff by the way.

Hsif der

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not really sure how far I plan to use it. I need to spend some time behind the trigger and see what I can do. Again, I plan to use this for hunting so that means most of the shooting would need to be as accurate as I can get and in low light conditions mostly.
    I do plan to carry it when hog hunting so fast target acquisiiton is important but I'm still leaning toward the smaller dot.

Do you know which models are available in adjustable brightness? What do you think about the triangle vs the dot?

Next time I'm over your way, I will swing buy and pick your brain and hopefully buy my RMR.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Having said the above ..... for me ..... the weapon will be used from tree stand or ground blind(static position),not stalking. It will be used primarily in early morning and late afternoon ... HOWEVER ... I have killed a couple of does and a hog during mid day,in the bright sunlight,with me sitting in the shade. The typical though,is in a somewhat shaded area.

This is why I have stuck with the Veridian high powered green laser for these past few years. You can put the dot on any dark(er) target that is standing in the bright sunlight and still see the dot,especially in the flicker/pulse mode.

My typical shot is <35yds. LONG would be 50yds. Further than that my eyes cannot see the dot very well. I'm sure it is still bright,I just can't seem to pick it up very well. I suggest that the pistol hunter look at this setup the same you would cross bow hunting. I use my Glock 20 the same way,from the same positions,at the same distances. YMMV --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using Trijicon RMRs since the first month they were available and love them. I've used many of the others and/or had students with them in class. If I were on a budget I'd get the Vortex Venom and not on a budget I'd get Trijicon. IMO the Burris is suitable to plinking guns and .22s; I say this with one currently mounted to a 590 shotgun and it will be coming off and going back to the Buckmark it came off of. The Venom shares the same foot print at the Burris without the more difficult to use zeroing system and the relatively fragile adjustment system.
    As far as dot size 6.5moa is smaller at pistol distances than most people can shoot with a Glock at those ranges. The dot is 6.5 at 100 yards, 3.25 at 50 yards and 1.625 at 25 yards. Most people can't hold 1.6" groups in a Glock at 25 yards nor is the pistol typically capable of it.

To go along with that a typical .125 width front night sight is 23.6moa for me, the white outline around the vial is 17.8moa, and the tritium vial in it is 11.9moa. All of those numbers are based on my front sight being 19" from my eye. 3600/19= 189.473 x .125 = apparent size at 100 yards(inches in 100 yards/front sight distance from eye = number x width of front sight = moa at 100 yards

All that said I prefer the smaller 3.25 dot because of astigmatism issues.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Like the compound and crossbow shooters I prefer to "aim small,hit small". Even w/o any kind of magnification I prefer a smaller dot. I pistol hunt with my glasses on and have both no problem seeing the dot(at MY ranges),and seeing where the dot is located on the animal. The well made dot will not "bloom" on me either.

The 2-3MOA is for me. Also ..... no laser/hologragpic sight for me either ... LED only. --- SAWMAN

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always like to read Donr's responses. He has got to be an aironautical engineer or something similar...always applying math, science and logic to the equation. :)

But seriously, I do appreciate and learn a lot from his posts. My experience is very limited with only one dual illuminated Trijicon RMR. Great sight, but if I was purchasing it new (not saving a good bit of money on used), I would go With the adjustable model. Little Jack's mentioned the weakness going between dark and light environment. I experienced it as well, and it may not be the better option in a hunting situation.

I'm also paying attention to this post for tips on my next optic.

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just got the adjustable 6.5 Trijicon RMR from Nate (little Jack's), have found it to be perfect for me on a S&W core 9mm (carry optics class). I would make sure to go outside when looking at the dots, as both looked bigger inside. If I was putting on a rifle I would get the 3.5, as JJ says, my 2 cent worth.

Top Bottom