Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Last edited:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For shooting with both eyes open, start with a small piece of clear tape on your non-dominant eye glasses. It will "fuzz out" the targets and front sights just enough on that eye so that you'll be seeing the front sight and target with your dominant eye. After a while, you should be able to take the tape off and your brain should know what it's looking for. Now, the question is WHY do you feel the need to shoot with both eyes open? When using a red dot, sure....both eyes open is the way to go. For irons, nothing wrong with closing the non-dominant eye. Going through the top of the leader board at any given match and you'll find the best pros in shooting...half shooting with both eyes, and the other half shooting with one eye closed. Something to think about....

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    How do y'all train to shoot with both eyes open.
    Or you could just not worry about your eyes and not look at the sights at all. Then run around and slap the trigger as fast as humanly possible. Seems to work for that Jogan fellow.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I admit...sometimes those sights are just a little "overrated" and serve me no purpose....

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ which also brings us to "what sight picture" for what distance targets. Hate to hijack Jeep's thread, but since we're all here for knowledge, I'll add to what I can. For close targets, say point blank to 5-7yds, you're just gonna "point-shoot" or "cover brown" on those. Point shooting is just that, point the gun at the target and click off 2 shots. It's easier that you think. We had a group tape their sights over with masking tape and shoot 4 shots at a target at about 5 yards. Just draw and point and fire 4 times. No one missed. No one.... "covering brown" is when you're transitioning between targets, or swinging from an already shot target to a new target. Once the front sight is over something brown, click off a shot. If you know the anatomy of the target, you can call where your shot hit and proceed with your follow up shot if needed or keep transitioning to the next target waiting for the front sight to cover the next brown target. Knowing your gun and your capabilities, you can easily get 2 shots in the "A Zone" or "down zero" zone on a target.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    And for some more hijacking, I bought some new snap caps at Academy and made a video. Feel free to judge, and the book was there to hold up the phone during the actual drill.
    http://youtu.be/7bYI9-SRvLU
    And in action:
    https://vimeo.com/135154740
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438479267.450254.jpg
    The main point is indexing with the left hand, ensuring a solid seating and rolling the left thumb up to release the slide.
    Jeep's much better than me though.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438479267.450254.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438479267.450254.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 267
    Last edited:

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always shoot with one eye close. I thought it make you shoot better with both eyes open in matches and in a gun fight.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it's more personal preference. Yes, you'll have a wider field of view with both eyes open. In a gun fight, would you be able to maintain the same discipline of learning to shoot with both eyes open? Or would you default back? Only you can decide that. Some people can shoot with both eyes open easier than others. I used to shoot with both eyes open. As I got older and got back into shooting real guns, I find myself squinting my left (non-dominant) eye when aiming out past 10 yards.

And Dan, that reload plus the one you did last match was awesome! Another fine example of knowing your equipment. I struggled to reach the slide release on my 1911 platform and would also release the slide with my support hand after seating a fresh mag. Much faster than going "over the top." Don't forget to find a repeatable INDEX with your strong side elbow. Huk taught us that the first movement, after pressing the mag release button, was to bend the strong side elbow (that's the RIGHT elbow for righties!) until it came into contact with your mid section. Keeping the gun at eye level, and the right elbow indexed into your mid section, the gun should be about a foot and a half in front of your face. This is your "workspace." You're head is up, looking "through" the gun at your target and the reload is performed right in front of you. Don't crowd yourself and put it inches from your nose. And don't stiff arm it and perform your reload at arm's reach way out in front of you. In Jeep's vid, you can see the slight arm bend and index point I'm talking about. This makes reloads SO much easier. Muscle memory develops quicker when you index to the same anchor point. The gun remains in the same place for every reload, not floating around way out in front of you and not bouncing off your nose. Bringing the new mag up and to the same place every time is what you want. I've recommended standing with your knees touching the side of a bed (so mags fall gently onto those 1000 thread count satin sheets instead of bouncing off the floor) and practicing your reloads. When you think you've gotten 'em down pretty good, turn the lights off and do some more. Once you can do 'em blindfolded, they get even easier out in the mid day sunlight!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ^ which also brings us to "what sight picture" for what distance targets. Hate to hijack Jeep's thread, but since we're all here for knowledge, I'll add to what I can. For close targets, say point blank to 5-7yds, you're just gonna "point-shoot" or "cover brown" on those. Point shooting is just that, point the gun at the target and click off 2 shots. It's easier that you think. We had a group tape their sights over with masking tape and shoot 4 shots at a target at about 5 yards. Just draw and point and fire 4 times. No one missed. No one.... "covering brown" is when you're transitioning between targets, or swinging from an already shot target to a new target. Once the front sight is over something brown, click off a shot. If you know the anatomy of the target, you can call where your shot hit and proceed with your follow up shot if needed or keep transitioning to the next target waiting for the front sight to cover the next brown target. Knowing your gun and your capabilities, you can easily get 2 shots in the "A Zone" or "down zero" zone on a target.

On the point shooting thing, watch this video:

[video]https://youtu.be/YyNDIJIug0o?t=91[/video]

The first two target arrays were very close, and fairly wide open. I didn't use the sights at all, I just point shot, which is how I was able to go fast. The second two arrays were much tighter, with hard cover and no-shoots. I had to slow down quite a bit on those and actually start using my sights.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Looks like I've been doing the elbow thing without realizing it. I'll definitely make a point of it.
    I'll try that point shooting heresy in the morning. If it works for the old man and the little man, there's gotta be something to it.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was checking out some earlier and found one for 1200$ I about spit my coke all over the keyboard
    The recoil on it is actually rather impressive, the sad thing is one of the most expensive ones was almost 3 times that amount..
    Almost 3000$... WTF

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwo...thawk_GRP_Recon_CNC_Steel_Limited_Edition.htm
    I just got the tanfogio 1911 co2 bb. Blow back, clip fed.fits all my holsters and mag pouches . Good replica. made a plate rack and some targets from the last match. Back yard set up. good accuracy from the .177. $140.@ amazon. Seems to be helping. My shooting while moving has improved. (Only direction it could go. Couldn't get any worse.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess I ought to update this thread.

I haven't done any real dry-fire since last Thursday. Friday afternoon I made the dummy rounds and shot the video, so that counts towards something, I guess. After doing that little bit of dry fire for the video on Friday night, I realized that the ambi safety on my SV either had to go or be modified. I chose modification, since I can see times where it might be useful. I did that on Saturday, then shot it at the range a few times that evening. I put about 100 rounds through it, just getting a feel for the way it handles. I've got a few new parts on the way, but overall I really like it. Then on Sunday, I stippled the grip and double undercut the trigger guard. Photos of the modifications can be seen starting here: http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?10844-What-gun-stuff-did-you-do-today&p=257443&viewfull=1#post257443

The gun feels SO much better in my hands now, but I haven't done any more training. My shoulders started killing my yesterday in the early afternoon, so I went home and just rested. This morning, both of my shoulders feel like they are getting squeezed in a vise, so I probably won't be doing any training this afternoon, either. Hopefully they'll start feeling better soon, because I would like to do a little more live- and dry-fire before the Biloxi match on Saturday.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oh, and I saw in the stage descriptions of the Biloxi match that part of the classifier is going to be weak hand shooting, including the transition from strong to weak. I definitely need to practice that, especially the transition.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom