• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree Frank. Not enlisting is THE single biggest regret of my life.

My step daughter always had good jobs but she came home one day and said she was miserable. Felt like her life was a dead end, no excitement, nothing to look forward to. She got up the next morning and drove to the recruiters. Talked to all of the services and settled on the AF.

I so we'll remember when she went to boot camp. She would call her mom crying, saying it was the worst thing she had ever done. Her mom just comforted as best she could and told her to stick it and do her best. She ended up graduating like 3rd out of a huge class, went on to her first speciality school and now, about 4 years later she's Staff Sargent, got yanked out of her firefighter postition, is the personal assistant to 4 wing commanders at Charleston, been featured on line, is in a national AF commercial that still plays on TV, bought an awesome house and just flat loves life. Only complaint she has is that to take the excellent jobs she's been offered they keep her on the same base. She wants to travel out of the country but so far no dice. They've talked to her about the program where she'll go back to school, get a commission and THEN she can travel.

I'm just saying she's done more in the last 4 years than all her buddies that stayed out. Just amazing what it's done for her.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Ideally, and in general, the best thing to do is to go to college first. But, college is not for everyone and everyone is different, and of course, there are opportunities to go later on. JMO.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can you imagine what this country would be like if everyone had to join one branch of the service for a minimum of 4 years. I think a lot of the problems we have today wouldn't be happening.

I went to school with a kid who was a bully, had long blonde hair. About kicked his ass one day when he tried to mess with me but the teacher told me to put him down nicely! We both had to go see the Principal. Anyways that kid dropped out of high school and joined the Army. While in he got his GED and a couple years later when the rest of us had graduated he showed up at a graduation party and I hardly recognized him with his Army haircut. When he saw me he walked up to me, shook my hand and apologized for the trouble he got me into in school. He went from a young punk to a respectable man in the 2 years he was in the Army, shocked the shit out of me.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I absolutely agree that service should be mandatory, or at least strongly encouraged.

My step daughter I wrote about had been going to college before she enlisted and is going at night now too so she will end up with a Master's either way. College really isn't for everyone.

Had a kid that grew up with me that was the biggest basket case in the neighborhood. I mean a bully, all around shithead, obnoxious, thieving, you name it, he was a 70's version of a thug, his dad snatched his ass up and put him in Marion Military Institute in the 9th grade. He is the most squared away dude I know from my group growing up.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My wife's son flunked out of college chasing women, joined the Navy as enlisted Corpsman, got his degree while in(Navy Paid for), went to Officer candidate. Today he has a Masters in Hospital Admin(again pd for by the Navy), a Lt. Commander, soon hopefully a Commander. Now that make a family proud!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Tip of the Hat to the State Trooper who stopped me last night, 62 in a 45 entering Navarre. We were both polite to each other, everything went smoothly and thanks for the Warning, I was just not paying attention to the speed limit change...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My son had zero purpose in life after high school. He had started hanging with a shady crowd and applied for a job as a cook at a waffle house. All at once he decided, maybe with a little nudging from me, to go into the military. Five years in the Navy and he came out with a purpose and drive. Now he has a family, is buying a house, and making decent money as a robotics technician.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Frank, I'm convinced troopers use speed stops to fish for drugs and warrants. I've met equal parts decent dudes and dirtbags. Seems like there's no middle ground

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I'm convinced troopers use speed stops to fish for drugs and warrants. I've met equal parts decent dudes and dirtbags. Seems like there's no middle ground

Well apparently, because there's obviously no time to investigate a hit and run with witnesses, vehicle/driver description and tag number.

Rick

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was looking through an Outdoor Life magazine and came across this picture and the first thought that came to mind was this must be what TennJeep looks like at an IDPA match. Lol
    28b7cb6b96785fa8b369d36bf74bfd94.jpg

Top Bottom