• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookvette81

Shooter
    I was wondering if there has already been a thread stared in this forum that has a list of companies that do not allow concealed carry?

I'm not really the kind of guy that's going to stand out by the road with a picket sign to protest the erosion of our 2A rights, but I will try my best to have sensible conversations with people when the chance arises. I have been able to bring lots of folks over to the pro-gun side by simple friendly education. I also will not give my hard earned dollars to companies that will in turn push their anti-gun agenda. So if they have a no guns allowed picture on the door and are not willing to provide their own armed security, I turn around and support their competitor that will allow me to carry my own self defense tool

With that being said, how would y'all feel about making a sticky thread where folks can add the names and locations of stores in the area, or even online sites that we may use, that do not support our 2A right? So that those of us that do not want to patronize those companies can have an easy list to check...

Good idea, bad idea? How bout some feed back...

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    I was kinda nervous about it when I first started carrying.

Don't really care anymore. Concealed means concealed , if someone notices, I'm doing it wrong. Even if so, they can politely ask me to leave and I'd politely do so.

A sign isn't gonna stop me from being prepared to lawfully protect myself.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

A sticky is an interesting idea. Probably need to think through possible issues. Can't think of any right now but ............

I'm with Dan. I don't even look for or notice those signs.

DaBreeze

Master
    I was kinda nervous about it when I first started carrying.

Don't really care anymore. Concealed means concealed , if someone notices, I'm doing it wrong. Even if so, they can politely ask me to leave and I'd politely do so.

A sign isn't gonna stop me from being prepared to lawfully protect myself.

YMMV.

Zactly !!!

cookvette81

Shooter
    I hear ya! It's gonna take a lot more than a sign to get me to leave my self/family defense tool behind. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried about getting kicked out of some place, this is just one of my ways of making a political statement. If there is a sign and I still HAVE to go in I will still carry. If for some reason they notice and kick me out I will gladly leave. However, I feel counter productive in giving my dollars to a company knowing that those same dollars are going to be spent on lobbying or contributing in some way to erode/restrict our 2A right. I'd rather send my money in a direction that help me down the road, or at least not hurt my cause.

I just wasn't sure of any issues that a list like this would cause

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have only noticed two signs around here.
    The Piggly Wiggly in Bay Minette says no open carry.
    The Americas First Credit Union in Mobile says "No weapons allowed except on duty law enforcement officers".

I don't open carry and I don't pay any attention to all the other signs except the airport and the normal stuff like the courthouse and I guess some federal buildings but I have not been in a federal building or courthouse in 10 years.

gonzo

Expert
    Those signs don't mean anything. They have no legal standing whatsoever. They have no legal authority to deprive someone of their constitutional rights. Or do they hold a higher authority than the legal authority given to CCW permit issued by the state. Legally speaking, them saying you cant come in due to your licensed weapon is the same as saying you cant come in due to your race or religion(as ridiculous as that may sound). Basically all the signs are good for is to tell you that they don't want your money. No biggie, I'll spend it else where. Here's an article on these facts.
    http://wizbangblog.com/2014/05/23/why-cc-holders-should-ignore-anti-gun-signs-posted-in-stores/

Last edited:

cookvette81

Shooter
    I do fully understand that the signs have no legal power whatsoever. This was a hot topic in the police academy and it got a lot of attention and discussion.

Anyways, I digress as my point wasn't to discuss the legality of the signs, just that I don't want to support a business that could be lobbying on the anti-gun side. For instance I have now changed doctors because the people that own the building he rents posted a no firearms sign at the front door. I had a meeting with the CEO and head of security, offered suggestions and we had a very level headed conversation, however even though they claimed they agreed with everything I had to say, they were not were not willing to back down or compromise. I won't go to Mellow Mushroom, Starbucks or use groupon. I do loudly support Central Credit Union because they took down their no fire arms sign once they no longer were able to keep full time police security. It seems that CCU came to the idea that "hey, since we aren't going to provide armed security for them, maybe we should at least allow them to defend themselves."

Sporter, I like the idea of having some sort of card to leave behind. I've heard some other cards that have a bit more verbiage on them, are you familiar with any other formats out there?

So what do y'all think, is a list of anti-gun businesses a workable idea for a sticky thread? So we all know who NOT to give our dollars to.

Last edited:

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Ive only ever seen the sign at one store.

The Save a Lot Food Store, 3300 Pace Blvd(Corner of Pace and Fairfield on the north-west side in the same shopping center as Picadilly).

Its a store I dont have to go into, so I have no problems never going back.

But I agree with OP. I dont care about the signs legality so much as I really dont care to ever donate to those people again, and I would like to know who to avoid.

JGH

Expert
    I have only noticed two signs around here.
    The Piggly Wiggly in Bay Minette says no open carry.
    The Americas First Credit Union in Mobile says "No weapons allowed except on duty law enforcement officers".

I don't open carry and I don't pay any attention to all the other signs except the airport and the normal stuff like the courthouse and I guess some federal buildings but I have not been in a federal building or courthouse in 10 years.

How do you renew your gun permit? Can it be done by mail? I always go to the courthouse annex in Fairhope. Of course you have to go through a metal detector and can not have a pistol when you renew your Alabama pistol permit.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    The Bay minette sheriff office has a 10x10 room where you do it through a cashier window. No metal detector but I put mine in a lock box in the truck, most of the time. There is no sign but I don't want to take a chance of pissing someone off.

bac3996

Marksman
    Sonic, Chili's ask customers to keep guns out of restaurants
    Reuters
    By By Victoria Cavaliere 20 hours ago

(Reuters) - Two national chain restaurants have asked that customers refrain from bringing firearms into their establishments, saying the weapons can create an uncomfortable atmosphere for other diners.

Sonic Drive-In and Chili's Grill & Bar both issued statements Friday requesting that customers keep their guns out of their restaurants even if they have an open carry permit.

The request, which stops short of an outright ban, came after members of the gun-rights group Open Carry Texas walked into Texas-area outlets of Sonic and Chili's carrying assault rifles.

Dallas-based Brinker International Inc, which owns the Chili's chain, said in a statement it was dedicated to providing "a safe environment for our guests and team members."

"We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” spokeswoman Ashley Johnson said.

Sonic, owned by Sonic Corp, also issued a statement asking that customers "refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our outdoor dining areas."

The two companies joined a growing number of national eateries, including Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc, and Jack in the Box Inc, that have asked diners to keep their firearms at home.

Chili's and Sonic had also come under pressure from gun control groups to issue a no-firearm policy after video surfaced of Open Carry Texas members descending on several San Antonio locations while carrying weapons.

The members were asked to leave by management.

Open Carry Texas said on its Facebook page it would "cease taking long guns into corporate businesses unless invited."

Gun control groups applauded the move by Brinker International and Sonic.

"You can support the Second Amendment while taking reasonable measures to ensure that Americans are safe and secure in the places we take our children," Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, said in a statement.

The no-gun policy follows a mass shooting incident at the University of California, Santa Barbara on May 23 that has renewed debate over gun control laws.

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere)

bigbulls

Marksman
    You gotta love the corporate policy that automatically labels a gun guy as unsafe and dangerous but the guy that might be sitting there with a van full of ropes, duct tape, and chloroform looking for his next victim is just a regular ole citizen.

The only sign I have seen is on a molly maids store at the corner of 9 mile and Hwy 29. I think they closed though.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    I ignore the sign unless it's at a courthouse with detectors. I'm not walking anywhere un-protected unless everyone else is.... I'll not attempt to carry in secure airport areas.

kendive

Master
    I have to ask... What about CCW in at GunShows? Is it legal for them to tell you no CCW? I never got the concept they sell guns and ammo there...

JGH

Expert
    Seems kind of strange to me too. Like Bass Pro Shops selling guns and ammo and having the no gun sighs on their door.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    You can't imagine how many idiots walk into shops to trade or for repair and lay a loaded gun on the counter after covering everyone with it.

Top Bottom