DK Firearms

Starting the Planning for a Homestead/Bug Out Location in or Around Santa Rosa County

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm currently stationed at Fort Hood and heading to Afghanistan sometime in September. I'll be back somewhere between March and May. Once I get back I'm going to begin looking for property in and around Santa Rosa County. I prefer fairly rural land and something like 8 to 10 acres. Does anyone have advice on what area I could look at? Maybe some decent prices? So far we have considered places like Jay or Munson.

I'd prefer to have a clear 1/2 of an acre to a full acre to actually place a house on. The rest would be wooded if I have my own way. I'd like to have a little bit of wildlife trekking through my property sometimes. Maybe some deer, if possible. I want to have space to have a little log cabin house built on the cleared property and then I can build a garage and a storage shed and a greenhouse or something. I'd seriously prefer something within reasonable distance of Blackwater River so we can do a little fishing now and then. I want something big enough that I can shoot my guns on my own property without being bothered.

I know, I'm probably asking a lot. But I'm just starting my plans (literally a few days ago). Anyone have advice? Ideas? Websites? Thanks in advance.

destin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First off, thanks for your service and stay safe over there. Property wise, anywhere bordering Blackwater state forest is great. Just avoid anywhere that might flood ,it sucks bigtime, trust me.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Consider Garcon Point area. Lots of space and some nice wooded acerage with either waser front or water access cheaper than you might expect. Also, many areas are high and dry. Where I am didn't flood during Ivan or Dennis.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There were some decent spots off near coldwater for sale. He was selling them for 4000.00 an acre non water access and 6000-6500 an acre water access. Keep in mind the price is cheap but the area is virgin. My thoughts are water nearby/ room for a garden and critters is a must. He was in the shopper, our local want ads paper.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is some nice looking land in Allentown on Whitfield Road. Not sure the price but I saw it when I was creek fishing a few weeks ago. Virgin land as well and well wooded. About half way between Milton and Jay. Creek access too

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Also, look for the cheapest taxes in the area you choose, AL might be better as they have no schools to fund w taxes.

Good Luck, be safe and return quickly!

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming if you don't mind. Anything helps!

We actually ruled out Alabama. We don't want to be too close to the wife's parents. Plus, I believe income taxes are unconstitutional (maybe that's the wrong word. Immoral?), so I refuse to live in a state that has a state income tax. Bama has high sales taxes, too. Also, that isn't our state. Our state is Florida and even with all it's problems, I'm trying to stay loyal to it.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anywhere in chumuckla is good. Close enough to go to town in 10-15 min but far enough out not to be bothered, good hunting land all around too.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No matter where you buy land be sure to check all codes and above all any "wet land" designations. I know a couple of guys that bought property with the same idea as you only to find they would be considered criminals if they attempted to build on the property.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No matter where you buy land be sure to check all codes and above all any "wet land" designations. I know a couple of guys that bought property with the same idea as you only to find they would be considered criminals if they attempted to build on the property.

I almost fell for that on 10 ac. in south Baldwin Co. You know the sellers and the realtors know about the designated wetland restrictions and such. You could see it in the realtor's eyes when I cussed her out that she knew but never mentioned. They are as crooked as used car salesmen.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, and the Gubmint don't play either. I know of one guy that spent time as a guest of the Feds for trying to buck the system.

My neighbor behind me decided to clear around his pond. The place was overgrown with Popcorn trees. Now, the County encourages cutting those intrusive SOBs down but a Fed agent happened to be driving by and stopped. Told my neighbor that since he was in a good mood there would be no report/fine/jail time/hot date with bubba if he ceased and desisted immediately. He did. That property is now an overgrown mess and probably harbors quite a collection of interesting snakes, etc.

Here's the funny part: that pond was man-made. It was excavated back in the 70's so it ain't "natural".

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, are you insinuating that the government on all levels is mostly a bunch of, incompetent, moronic, corrupt, power hungry boobs with absolutely no common or practical sense that wield their power like a ruthless king against the very citizenry that pays their generous wages, funds their handsome pensions and affords them all the bennies that come with their public service position? Just asking !

Rick

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kinda like the wal-mart on blue angel built on wetlands? You know they put a guy in jail who filled in his property right down from the wall world, his pockets weren't deep enough. I had the same issue on Gulf Beach Hwy! Had 4 acres and could only use 1/4 acre of it to live on because it is wetland.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never even thought about checking about wetland designations. That is exactly the kind of info I am trying to learn.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, are you insinuating that the government on all levels is mostly a bunch of, incompetent, moronic, corrupt, power hungry boobs with absolutely no common or practical sense that wield their power like a ruthless king against the very citizenry that pays their generous wages, funds their handsome pensions and affords them all the bennies that come with their public service position? Just asking !

Rick

Not at all Rick! Virtually all gov't employees are hard working, conscientious, selfless and trustworthy folks, with little regard for themselves, only for the betterment of their fellow man. Their tiring diligence should be applauded, ney REWARDED for their contribution to the advancement of this country, it's citizens and it's future.

Or something like that.......................................

Google O.C. Mills sometime.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not at all Rick! Virtually all gov't employees are hard working, conscientious, selfless and trustworthy folks, with little regard for themselves, only for the betterment of their fellow man. Their tiring diligence should be applauded, ney REWARDED for their contribution to the advancement of this country, it's citizens and it's future.

Or something like that.......................................

Google O.C. Mills sometime.

Whew ! You had me worried for a second there.

Rick

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here's my help towards your goal:

1) Go out to prospective properties during or right after a hard rain.

2) If you have one, use a GPS to check altitudes of properties. My wife and I found where we had our house built was a bit higher than other areas...we should never have flooding problems.

3) Silly as this sounds, you might consider wearing some type of shirt or hat that shows a firearm or firearm related event (but doesn't shout about it). That's how I found out the neighboring property owners on all sides of me were pro-gun and wouldn't mind the sounds of shooting, as in a neighbor saying, "I see from your shirt that you won't mind me shooting." (I was wearing one of my Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot shirts.)

FWIW, I live north of Milton. The last tax bill on my 2 1/2 acre fenced goat pasture was $252.02 (with the discount for paying early).

Top Bottom