• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey yall, sorry if theres already a thread I couldn't find one after a quick scroll. Im thinking about starting to reload, is there an equipment set yall would recommend especially if its budget friendly (as in manual stuff over electronic not necessarily chineseum). Mainly looking for 556, 45acp and 9mm to start. Primarily the 556 mainly to save a little when its range day

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A great start...

Or you can source good used equipment from various gun boards and save a few dollars... maybe.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I opted to use Lee challenger for the cost savings.

It's been going well for me for a few years now. The 556 is going to be more complicated than the 9mm or the 45 - make sure you are extra careful with that.

Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I opted to use Lee challenger for the cost savings.

It's been going well for me for a few years now. The 556 is going to be more complicated than the 9mm or the 45 - make sure you are extra careful with that.
    Stupid question then is 223 easier then 556? I know that there is diffrences like primar pockets and such

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    223 vs 556 The main difference in in the chambers that the barrels have. The main difference in the cases is that the 556 has a crimped in primer, and removing it makes putting new primers in easier

Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    223 vs 556 The main difference in in the chambers that the barrels have. The main difference in the cases is that the 556 has a crimped in primer, and removing it makes putting new primers in easier
    Thank you for that information

Med24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good suggestions already mentioned above for equipment. Couple other things to consider - most folks who reload will admit they don't really save any money - especially with price of components so if that's what you are looking for, it may not be worth it. But it does help ya shoot more. I do it because I enjoy the attention to detail and it connects me to something my dad and I do together.
    Second get at least one, preferably two written reloading manuals and read the instruction part cover to cover before u buy a thing. Doesn't have to be latest edition if budget is a problem, within last 10yr ought to do. Suggest u get the manual of the ones u think u r most likely to buy. YouTube videos are a great overview and forums can be helpful, but u will find lots of little nuggets in the manual and u will need one for data section when u actually start to reload.

Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good suggestions already mentioned above for equipment. Couple other things to consider - most folks who reload will admit they don't really save any money - especially with price of components so if that's what you are looking for, it may not be worth it. But it does help ya shoot more. I do it because I enjoy the attention to detail and it connects me to something my dad and I do together.
    Second get at least one, preferably two written reloading manuals and read the instruction part cover to cover before u buy a thing. Doesn't have to be latest edition if budget is a problem, within last 10yr ought to do. Suggest u get the manual of the ones u think u r most likely to buy. YouTube videos are a great overview and forums can be helpful, but u will find lots of little nuggets in the manual and u will need one for data section when u actually start to reload.
    Thank you for the advice. Budget isnt a super huge issue especially if it comes to manuals and refrence material was more talking about the press and such. I dont need a $1000 set up etc moreless trying to just get a start and dont want to invest huge into it and then turn around and realize its not what I want to do

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm an RCBS Rockchucker man, myself. That said, I don't reload anymore for 223/9/40/45 as the cost/time-benefit is just not there for me anymore. I can buy it as cheap as I can reload it, and I prefer to shoot rather than load those rounds for the savings in time.
    Check out your local gun shows and you might stumble upon a press and powder measure (and scales).
    There are also package deals for Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, etc. as others have mentioned. Its not a hobby where anyone has ever saved any money. YMMV.

Gonzolee10

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Thank you for the advice. Budget isnt a super huge issue especially if it comes to manuals and refrence material was more talking about the press and such. I dont need a $1000 set up etc moreless trying to just get a start and dont want to invest huge into it and then turn around and realize its not what I want to do

I'm following this too. I've been kicking around the idea of reloading and like you, really have no clue where to start. good info

Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm an RCBS Rockchucker man, myself. That said, I don't reload anymore for 223/9/40/45 as the cost/time-benefit is just not there for me anymore. I can buy it as cheap as I can reload it, and I prefer to shoot rather than load those rounds for the savings in time.
    Check out your local gun shows and you might stumble upon a press and powder measure (and scales).
    There are also package deals for Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, etc. as others have mentioned. Its not a hobby where anyone has ever saved any money. YMMV.
    Theres a few other rounds I have that can save money with like 300blk etc just wanna start with my most common. Even if its a few cents. I dont even mind casting to save a little extra in the long run personally. I do have experience with casting fishing weights figure might transfer over. As far as time it wont bother me trading the time as ive been told it can be a mediatative relaxing moment like sharpening a knife

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Theres a few other rounds I have that can save money with like 300blk etc just wanna start with my most common. Even if its a few cents. I dont even mind casting to save a little extra in the long run personally. I do have experience with casting fishing weights figure might transfer over. As far as time it wont bother me trading the time as ive been told it can be a mediatative relaxing moment like sharpening a knife

The BO is easy on powder.

I cast my own for about 20 years, then stopped. Time is valuable to me, plus there are so many options now (internet) that we’re not around when I started. As a result, I buy my cast bullets now. But we’re all here to help you spend your hard earned money!

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    - most folks who reload will admit they don't really save any money - especially with price of components so if that's what you are looking for, it may not be worth it. But it does help ya shoot more.
    Back in the day you could save money once you recoup your investment, but today, I'm not sure you can. You may on bigger chamberings, and hunting round, they get pricy at $3.00 - 4.00 a shot. 9mm and 5.56 ??? I have heard this more times than I can recall. I never quite understood it.
    If it doesn't save you money , how can you shoot more?

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You have a great start with that press. I loaded with a Lee press for nearly 20 years and even when I worked at a range I never wore it out. The absolute best thing to spend money on for an upgrade is a good digital scale. It will not only make things easier but also much faster than a level type balance scale.

Insofar as saving money I can attest that I am saving $54/box of ammo for my 358 win (if you can find it). With 300 Weatherby costing nearly $90/box it won't take me too long to get all of my money back either. If I were only loading say 9mm ball ammo I would need another life to break even lol.

Dastava

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You have a great start with that press. I loaded with a Lee press for nearly 20 years and even when I worked at a range I never wore it out. The absolute best thing to spend money on for an upgrade is a good digital scale. It will not only make things easier but also much faster than a level type balance scale.

Insofar as saving money I can attest that I am saving $54/box of ammo for my 358 win (if you can find it). With 300 Weatherby costing nearly $90/box it won't take me too long to get all of my money back either. If I were only loading say 9mm ball ammo I would need another life to break even lol.
    Oh yeah. The 9 isnt even really to save money its moreless for the hell of having the set up just incase . I am looking for my main rounds for practice the saving is moreless for my other rounds

Bucklowery

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are plenty of people willing to help once you get the equipment. Everyone need a mentor of sorts. I don’t know much but I will help anyone if I can just hit me up

Thanks

Buck

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If we ever end up in a James Rawles novel, we may need every resource we've acquired.
    Don't mean this to be a long post but I'm all for getting others involved in handloading/reloading..

We are living in a time where every aspect of gun ownership is being assailed by democrats, rinos, and the progressive left. This includes not only a desire to push to outlaw or place higher taxes on new weapon purchases but also to tax the purchase of ammo out of reach for most people.

I started handloading/reloading in 2008. I'm not in it to save money although for some rounds, I can save a substantial amount e.g., SOCOM 458, 6.5C, 308. A couple of years ago I could save on 9mm, 380, and 45 Auto but prices have come back down somewhat. I handload/reload because it's a skill I wanted to acquire.

It's easier to purchase components in some cases than it is the finished product. Clearly, primers and smokeless powder are hazmat controlled unless you buy them locally. As far as I know, brass and bullets are not tracked and I purchase a lot of brass and bullets from dozen different suppliers. All reloading items are potential barter material.

Small rifle and pistol primers are easy to find through ammoseek.com or just watching sites like midway.com, natchezss.com, powdervalley.com, or miwall.com. They will probably never go back to 2-3 pennies but 6-7 pennies is still in the ball park for most budgets.

Large pistol, even in magnum, is still less that a dime from some suppliers. It's painful to pay a dime a primer but I'm not going to use many of them and if no primers are available, your only choice is buying ammo at market price or trying to produce your own primers.

For me, large rifle primer (LPR) is where the problem is. I shoot .308 and 6.5C a lot. Fortunately, if you are willing to work up loads for Palma brass, you can use small rifle primers (SRP). Starline sells both of those calibers in SRP. Starline recommends a higher quality primer for Palma brass.

I would never trade LRP for any other primer straight across. Unless you can find LRP locally that isn't marked up for hazmat and shipping, you're going to pay a lot for it. I watch the boards, just like the sellers do. I see LRP selling at 30 cents each and fools continue to buy them, which tells suppliers they can charge more. If you watch www.ammoseek.com, it will have LRP at less than a dime from time to time. Some sellers make bank on Hazmat and shipping. Natchezz and Power Valley both have free shipping or hazmat from time to time. Natchezz has one or the other frequently. I buy as much as I can to minimize the cost. I'm also a fan of bulk buys if I can find others willing to defray part of the hazmat/shipping costs.

I buy brass directly from www.starlinebrass.com. Shipping is free. If the brass has a red dot it's out of stock. Green or brown is available even if the status shows backordered. I've called and asked for availability on a couple of occasions. I was able to buy 1000 6.5 Grendel through phone when it was red on the site.

I buy Lapua brass from mcgeestocks.com when they have it. The site is not https but Steve and Shirley are known individuals and from my home state so I trust them and they trust me. I call to order.

The primary suppliers I use are: powdervalley.com, natchezss.com, midwayusa.com, redriverreloading.com, nereloading.com, and vizardsgunsandammo.com. Less frequently brownells.com, midsouthshooterssupply.com, grafs.com, precisionreloading.com, and xtremebullets.com. I like the extremebullets plated 380 RNFP when I load for my wife.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom