• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sweet! It seems to be good stuff.
    What ya gonna be firing it from?
    That's the thing... I only have one rifle in that caliber, so I wouldn't want to "experiment" with it. Then we get into "What twist does it really need"? Then "What's the point without a suppressor?" Hence the lottery : )

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    That's the thing... I only have one rifle in that caliber, so I wouldn't want to "experiment" with it. Then we get into "What twist does it really need"? Then "What's the point without a suppressor?" Hence the lottery : )
    Ah OK gotcha. I learned some 22 precision shooters (maybe other calibers also) like to use subs as they are more predictable as they don't go they the weird "Trans sonic" transions as the bullet slows into sub sonic. That's where some funky things happen.
    I thought ya had a suppressor too.
    But yeah twist matter alot too.
    I just bought the ones I had just to see how quiet it could be. If you shake them they sound hollow with a pinch of salt inside them lol.
    I'm still new to the whole can world myself also

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ah OK gotcha. I learned some 22 precision shooters (maybe other calibers also) like to use subs as they are more predictable as they don't go they the weird "Trans sonic" transions as the bullet slows into sub sonic. That's where some funky things happen.
    I thought ya had a suppressor too.
    But yeah twist matter alot too.
    I just bought the ones I had just to see how quiet it could be. If you shake them they sound hollow with a pinch of salt inside them lol.
    I'm still new to the whole can world myself also
    Yep... still holding out ('til my dying day, apparently) for the "Hearing Protection Act" to pass. Better yet, they could just read the Second Amendment. And what sense does it make that they require mufflers on vehicles, but restrict them on firearms? Wouldn't it be easier to catch bank robbers running around in un-muffled vehicles? : )

Not a fan of all that paperwork, anyway, plus, I've always thought "What if the world comes to an end before it gets processed?" I'd be pissed! : )

I already have a box of that Aguila 60 gr. .22 LR I don't know what to do with. But I'm thinking: A revolver with a threaded, 10" high twist-rate barrel, with a rail on top : )

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep... still holding out ('til my dying day, apparently) for the "Hearing Protection Act" to pass. Better yet, they could just read the Second Amendment. And what sense does it make that they require mufflers on vehicles, but restrict them on firearms? Wouldn't it be easier to catch bank robbers running around in un-muffled vehicles? : )

Not a fan of all that paperwork, anyway, plus, I've always thought "What if the world comes to an end before it gets processed?" I'd be pissed! : )

I already have a box of that Aguila 60 gr. .22 LR I don't know what to do with. But I'm thinking: A revolver with a threaded, 10" high twist-rate barrel, with a rail on top : )
    Fire it thru a longest barrel as possible and it may be quiet.
    I've seen guys talk about how extra long barrels do the same job as cans do. They say they have crazy quiet 22s that way.
    That might be up your alley if so.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fire it thru a longest barrel as possible and it may be quiet.
    I've seen guys talk about how extra long barrels do the same job as cans do. They say they have crazy quiet 22s that way.
    That might be up your alley if so.
    I probably should run a few through my Ruger Precision (18"), just to get a baseline on how it compares to other target/match ammo in a standard (1:16") twist...

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Depends on the caliber, length adds velocity.
    Yes. To an extent tho. Too much and it slows the bullet down due to the rifling strangling the bullet after the gas has had room to fully expand. So longer barrels can actually slow bullets.
    Here's a quick article I found discussing the phenomenon, as I'll call it for now lol. But the speak of the reduced powered loads in 22s that are at 78 decibels, and pellet guns are 90. Trappers use them to not alert prey nearby.

Shooters that are big into this basically make the longer barrel and low powdered loads just strong enough to so they're not squibbing at the end.
    If that makes sense lol. I have trouble describing it.
    I've heard suppressor makers describe it best. They say a longer barrel is a cans best friend. The gasses have more room and the barrel removes more heat and its less work for the can.
    Use too long of a barrel tho, in theory it will squib, no bullet comes out, or drops right out and hits the ground, then it's it's a record 0 decibels lol

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes. To an extent tho. Too much and it slows the bullet down due to the rifling strangling the bullet after the gas has had room to fully expand. So longer barrels can actually slow bullets.
    Here's a quick article I found discussing the phenomenon, as I'll call it for now lol. But the speak of the reduced powered loads in 22s that are at 78 decibels, and pellet guns are 90. Trappers use them to not alert prey nearby.

Shooters that are big into this basically make the longer barrel and low powdered loads just strong enough to so they're not squibbing at the end.
    If that makes sense lol. I have trouble describing it.
    I've heard suppressor makers describe it best. They say a longer barrel is a cans best friend. The gasses have more room and the barrel removes more heat and its less work for the can.
    Use too long of a barrel tho, in theory it will squib, no bullet comes out, or drops right out and hits the ground, then it's it's a record 0 decibels lol
    Much of what I've heard before. So you can potentially turn a (mildly) supersonic load into a subsonic load if your barrel is long enough : )

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Much of what I've heard before. So you can potentially turn a (mildly) supersonic load into a subsonic load if your barrel is long enough : )
    Yep. 22 shorts may be an option for standard size barrels also, maybe the 60s too. I have some I need to test. All this talk about it tho now has me wanting a long barrel 22 bolt gun tho!

Top Bottom