• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Have 0 as of today. What brands, models should I NOT look at? / stay away from? NOT A COLLECTOR, just a shooter. Tkx.

You'll probably be tempted due to price, but I would strongly (strongly) suggest avoiding anything American made with the possible exception of K-USA's line. Hard pass on Century's line of rifles (C39, VSKA, RAS47, BFT47). Don't even touch anything made by IO or Pioneer. Avoid anything with a Hesse stamp on it (that goes for all rifles, not just AKs). PSA's line of rifles look great but have largely mixed reviews, especially the small bore variants (5.56 and 5.45 guns). Their 7.62 guns are supposedly good now but I still see reports of absolute lemons making their way out.

Arsenal used to be top dog but their QC on new rifles dropped into the toilet the past couple years. Inspect your rifle closely if you choose Arsenal. I've heard mixed things about Riley Defense; had hands on a couple of their rifles and they looked okay but felt kinda cheap.

Honestly it's a rough time to get into AKs. Zastava remains a solid option, although they do not take standard AK furniture. WASRs are too expensive for what they are but they are still available and are overall good rifles (just do your own QC check / inspect it thoroughly when you get it). WBP makes a very nice AKM clone out of Poland. There are still some Polish Beryl rifles floating around out there as well. Atlantic Firearms makes extremely nice parts kit builds for decent prices.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You'll probably be tempted due to price, but I would strongly (strongly) suggest avoiding anything American made with the possible exception of K-USA's line. Hard pass on Century's line of rifles (C39, VSKA, RAS47, BFT47). Don't even touch anything made by IO or Pioneer. Avoid anything with a Hesse stamp on it (that goes for all rifles, not just AKs). PSA's line of rifles look great but have largely mixed reviews, especially the small bore variants (5.56 and 5.45 guns). Their 7.62 guns are supposedly good now but I still see reports of absolute lemons making their way out.

Arsenal used to be top dog but their QC on new rifles dropped into the toilet the past couple years. Inspect your rifle closely if you choose Arsenal. I've heard mixed things about Riley Defense; had hands on a couple of their rifles and they looked okay but felt kinda cheap.

Honestly it's a rough time to get into AKs. Zastava remains a solid option, although they do not take standard AK furniture. WASRs are too expensive for what they are but they are still available and are overall good rifles (just do your own QC check / inspect it thoroughly when you get it). WBP makes a very nice AKM clone out of Poland. There are still some Polish Beryl rifles floating around out there as well. Atlantic Firearms makes extremely nice parts kit builds for decent prices.

Thanks. I think I missed the boat by about 20 years. Most of the ones I see are +1000 or more and like you said the builds are questionable. Looks like I'll have to do my reading.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you're sure not sure, don't buy it. I still don't understand half of it. So many types from so many countries.

A good rule of thumb with AKs is stick to imports or parts kit builds by reputable builders. Atlantic would be my go-to choice for kit builds on a price to performance basis. If I were buying a factory new rifle these days I’d probably get a Polish WBP.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You done dragged the AK snobs out! Arsenals were great when the were $5-600! But by all means pay the $11-1200 now! Guaranteed to go pow! But I've had/have just about every one listed above to stay away from! Guess what? They always went bang! None were super accurate but it’s not a sniper rifle! Some were prettier than others but all where janky old sheet metal designs except a few heavy milled ones!’ If I were looking, I’d buy the Romanian one if under $700! No way, I’m paying $1k for those even
    With the thicker sheet metal! Also, PSA’s always go bang.
    And watch the video’s where the take many of these slop machines and drag them behind trucks, fill them with dirt and then throw them in the pond, shake them out and shoot them!
    Now send the hate!!!

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You done dragged the AK snobs out! Arsenals were great when the were $5-600! But by all means pay the $11-1200 now! Guaranteed to go pow! But I've had/have just about every one listed above to stay away from! Guess what? They always went bang! None were super accurate but it’s not a sniper rifle! Some were prettier than others but all where janky old sheet metal designs except a few heavy milled ones!’ If I were looking, I’d buy the Romanian one if under $700! No way, I’m paying $1k for those even
    With the thicker sheet metal! Also, PSA’s always go bang.
    And watch the video’s where the take many of these slop machines and drag them behind trucks, fill them with dirt and then throw them in the pond, shake them out and shoot them!
    Now send the hate!!!

Sure, they all go bang. The question is do you want one that will continue to go bang indefinitely or do you just want something vaguely resembling an AK? :)

I’ve personally watched a C39 eat itself to death after just 500 rounds. There are oodles of reports online of RAS and VSKA rifles exploding or otherwise catastrophically failing due to crappy cast trunnions. Ditto IO. It’s a good thing PSA has a lifetime warranty because you may need it for any litany of reasons. Or, your PSA may work just fine. Like I said, they’re a mixed bag. American companies are cutting corners when it comes to building AKs and it shows.

I’d get on the AK Files and research all of these guns - go out and see for yourself. My advice will always be to buy combloc (or at least a kit build) and save yourself the headaches / wasted money though. The commies know how to make their service rifle right.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I had to buy a riley because i lived in a ban /compliant state [nj] although it has a low round count it has been faithful for the 4 years i have had it [750.00] at my LGS . IF it fails me i will go on the hunt for another AK but i do not like the idea of getting a parts kit ,trying to find a good builder that will even take the work,wait a year for them to get around to it from who knows what state ,hoping it does not have to go back for fixing nor do i want something that only takes their brand of accessories [ non ak oem] iirc yugos take only yugo parts. That said in my quest to find one some years back the one most suggest is ZAP . I would suggest 7.62x39 too because ammo is still cheap and plentiful , i would not suggest one if you want to drive tacks at 100 meters they are zombie apocalypse gats that will stack bodies all day long at 50 meters until they run out of ammo . get one they even look cool

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Yep, folds on the right and I shoot left, good deal!
    I have to shoot left handed because of my eye sight but folders give me no issues because you are not shouldering the weapon ,what will be an occasional burp is an AK tendency to eject fired cases into you when firing from the hip left handed

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have to shoot left handed because of my eye sight but folders give me no issues because you are not shouldering the weapon ,what will be an occasional burp is an AK tendency to eject fired cases into you when firing from the hip left handed
    If I'm firing from the hip folded, I've got bigger worries than hot brass! :)

Top Bottom