• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terminerd

Shooter
    I have been thinking of buying long term storage food for a while. We stocked up on canned food when COVID hit. Just had to throw away several hundred dollars worth because they were several years past due. So that got me thinking about freeze dried survival food with a 25 year shelf life. We always have plenty of food here at home and could survive several months. But you never know when you may have to throw everything in a vehicle and bug out. I have been researching and think I have it narrowed down to “My Patriot Supply” and probably going to start with a one week supply but will buy several in the coming months and ideally would like to get 3 months worth. What are some manufacturers you recommend and have you eaten any of the food and what are your thoughts on taste ?
    I’ve been looking at this solution for larger quantities:

lil'skeet

Master
    I have been thinking of buying long term storage food for a while. We stocked up on canned food when COVID hit. Just had to throw away several hundred dollars worth because they were several years past due. So that got me thinking about freeze dried survival food with a 25 year shelf life. We always have plenty of food here at home and could survive several months. But you never know when you may have to throw everything in a vehicle and bug out. I have been researching and think I have it narrowed down to “My Patriot Supply” and probably going to start with a one week supply but will buy several in the coming months and ideally would like to get 3 months worth. What are some manufacturers you recommend and have you eaten any of the food and what are your thoughts on taste ?
    Libtard jerky. All come pre marinated in their own bullsh!t and soy products. Some are coming precooked for an additional fee....

Carl

Master
    I tend to stick with the poor mans preps like 5 gallon buckets of rice in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Just using a Berkey water filter but looking for different options. Good thread, watching for ideas.

Also developed a fetish for collecting Bic lighters after reading that Yugoslavian guys blog.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I tend to stick with the poor mans preps like 5 gallon buckets of rice in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Just using a Berkey water filter but looking for different options. Good thread, watching for ideas.

Also developed a fetish for collecting Bic lighters after reading that Yugoslavian guys blog.
    Over time the flints will weld them selves to the striker. On the first flick they break. Ymmv.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    i have wise, my patriot, and mountain house products, but have not eaten any, because ,well they are emergency supplies... can't really endorse any..
    I have wise - haven't used it yet. But hiking/ camping lets you get out and try some thing out before its a necessity. :)
    The replacement cost on everything is stupid high right now though.

Berkey Filter for us as well at the house. For more portable options I have used MSR as well as Sawyer for water. Kayden worked great, but is a pain to clean.

I haven't messed with vacuum sealing jars, I'll have to check with the wife and see where her plans are there. We normally use the boil water method for canning.

I like all the info in this thread - lots of good ideas. :)

yossarian

Shooter

Lifestraws are cool. Just remember they have a shelf life of about 5 years.
    edit: I was apparently informed wrong. Apparently they don't? I've googled and found conflicting reports. Either way, don't drink the radiated pond water unless you really need to.

Last edited:

PSSChris

Shooter
    [mention]yossarian [/mention] I actually just assumed their shelf life was a lot longer than that for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rice rice rice. Package your own.

Also provident living Mormon food. Online sales
    Rice sealed in Mylar bags with de-oxygenators and placed in closed 5 gal buckets will last a very long time. There used to be a mormon lady named IIRC Wendy that made a bunch videos on food storage.
    But white rice by itself is not enough, but at least you have the calories. Even dogs can eat rice. My mutts can eat anything with a 10 day dead armadillo being Haute Cuisine for them.
    There are many things growing about us that can be eaten if one knows what to look for. This includes some tree leaves that can be cooked and eaten. I have located some poke week that is edible when young. If your own your place one can have a garden. This year I planted Jerusalem artichokes about the place that is traditional starvation time food. Mow the stalks in old days in front of an advancing army and after they are gone one can dig up the tubers. I am also trying cassava (Yuca) this year.
    If you are hungry, many things can be eaten for protein. Remember the song:
    four and twenty blacks birds baked in a pie. You can eat song birds if you are hungry enough.

A good gun would be a smooth bore hudson bay type flint lock. But you need black powder for a flint lock. Apparently flintlocks will not work well with smokeless. Regardless what the gun nazis will yell at you, pistol charges of smokeless power are safe in a cap lock constructed of modern steel. Put a 100 grains of shotgun power in most any gun, muzzle loading or cartridge will blow it up. But I have a couple of small bore shotguns, .410 and 28 ga, and reloadable brass shell and a good supply of primers. I have lead there are methods of making a coarse irregular shot that go back to colonial days. I also have traps.
    Forget about hunting for deer, because in few weeks they will all be gone.

Top Bottom