• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    I have been thinking of buying long term storage food for a while. We stocked up on canned food when COVID hit. Just had to throw away several hundred dollars worth because they were several years past due. So that got me thinking about freeze dried survival food with a 25 year shelf life. We always have plenty of food here at home and could survive several months. But you never know when you may have to throw everything in a vehicle and bug out. I have been researching and think I have it narrowed down to “My Patriot Supply” and probably going to start with a one week supply but will buy several in the coming months and ideally would like to get 3 months worth. What are some manufacturers you recommend and have you eaten any of the food and what are your thoughts on taste ?

ccc

Master
    I went ahead and bought a three month supply. That’s just for one person so for the wife and I that would be a month and a half, meals are 2500 calories a day. Much cheaper if you buy in bulk. A week is $170, three months was $870. Watched allot of YouTube videos and read reviews about taste and they were all positive. Good feeling knowing we now have SHTF food with a 25 year shelf life.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I went ahead and bought a three month supply. That’s just for one person so for the wife and I that would be a month and a half, meals are 2500 calories a day. Much cheaper if you buy in bulk. A week is $170, three months was $870. Watched allot of YouTube videos and read reviews about taste and they were all positive. Good feeling knowing we now have SHTF food with a 25 year shelf life.
    I've eaten a 14 year old mre for science. Not good at all. Had a foil taste and probably no benefit except filling my stomach. We like stuff that we normally use and can be used in daily meals. Gotta test em for science!

ccc

Master
    I've eaten a 14 year old mre for science. Not good at all. Had a foil taste and probably no benefit except filling my stomach. We like stuff that we normally use and can be used in daily meals. Gotta test em for science!
    This type of thing for my use is end of society SHTF situations. Not three days electricity goes out during a storm. In that situation we would be using generators and eating food from the freezer and cooked on a grill or propane griddle. I bought this in case we have to throw all guns, ammo, dehydrated food, in all three four wheel drives and haul ass to the deer lease in Jay to link up with others.

Southalabama

Master
    My patriot supply will email you daily. Their food is so so. Better marketing department.

Mountain House has been the standard for years. They recently had a 50 percent sale.
    I use it for meats.

Augason Farms on Amazon can often be picked up with deep discounts. I’ve got their potatoes, apples and fruits.

Watch shelf life. Mountain House is generally the gold standard. Same products at Augason Farms often have lower shelf life.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Mountain House is my go to for through hiking. "Good To Go" is another brand that has great reviews, but I haven't tried them yet - currently working through my Mountain House stash.

As far as Filters go - Sawyer Filters are my go to as they seem to hold up better then some of the other flow through filters.

Get the 28MM adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018NJC1A6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You can have a SmartWater bottle for dirty water, and then another for clean. Just remember to not screw the bottom (clean) bottle tight so air can escape and pull the water down from the dirty water bottle.

For camping I use the CNOC 2L water bladder for the dirty water and hang it from a branch.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.05.52 PM.png

That's what I use - YMMV

NavCorman

Master
    yes, I have looked at those. But, if you are getting water for your dehydrated food you might need a larger pump type or boil the water.
    Check out Six Point Survival in Nicevillle .Mikah is the instructor and it’s his website . He has a lot of hands on classes . Good stuff .

ccc

Master
    I am also a firm believer these WILL BE NEEDED long before they ever reach their 25 year shelf. It is no longer a case of “If” it is a case of “when”……….

Top Bottom