• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i have an AERO PRECISION M5 in .308 with a 20" barrel. i want to buy a scope for it. the purpose will be medium to long range hunting. does anyone with experience with a similar platform have recommendations?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    What type of game hunting and what do you call long distance? The smaller the game, the more power so you can see and aim accurately. Generally, the more power of the scope, the more the weight and length. Weight could be a consideration if walking or stalking a long ways. Length could be a consideration if stalking/walking through brush/trees. If sitting in a stand//blind, then weight and length are less of a concern.

A nice 3-9x is not too long or big for deer size. A 44mm or say 50mm objective lens will let more light in for early or late shooting hours or animals in the shade, more so than the common 40mm lens. Will you have occasion to shoot towards the direction the sun is shining from (dawn or dusk)?...if Yes, a sunshade screwed onto the objective lens can help mitigate glare.

NOTE: I've taken 32 deer in Florida and Georgia. I kept records of all distances. At the 30 deer point, my average kill distance was 103yd. Farthest was 196yd. Thus my experience may differ from your needs/hunting area. The 2 deer not counted in the average distance were taken on my neighbor's property for a needy family, and the distances were not great, say about 30yd as they came out and were distracted by my goat herd.

Last edited:

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    almost
    What type of game hunting and what do you call long distance? The smaller the game, the more power so you can see and aim accurately. Generally, the more power of the scope, the more the weight and length. Weight could be a consideration if walking or stalking a long ways. Length could be a consideration if stalking/walking through brush/trees. If sitting in a stand//blind, then weight and length are less of a concern.

A nice 3-9x is not too long or big for deer size. A 44mm or say 50mm objective lens will let more light in for early or late shooting hours or animals in the shade, more so than the common 40mm lens. Will you have occasion to shoot towards the direction the sun is shining from (dawn or dusk)?...if Yes, a sunshade screwed onto the objective lens can help mitigate glare.

NOTE: I've taken 32 deer in Florida and Georgia. I kept records of all distances. At the 30 deer point, my average kill distance was 103yd. Farthest was 196yd. Thus my experience may differ from your needs/hunting area. The 2 deer not counted in the average distance were taken on my neighbor's property for a needy family, and the distances were not great, say about 30yd as they came out and were distracted by my goat herd.
    almost totally stand and tripod hunting so im not real concerned about size or weight. and this would be for deer and wild hogs. the deer i would not take from far off. i want an ethical kill there. but where we are we can shoot the hogs from a great distance. it would be nice to start taking them at 300 yards. the hog hunting is for extermination. i would like the scope to be able to handle that.

Cjprall90

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    T
    The number one consideration is how much money are you willing to spend. Then go from there, a scope is like a pair of shoes you need to try before you buy. My eyes are finiky with optics, and you need to decide what reticle is best for you also.
    This is the way.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    considering the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50mm 30mm Tube First Focal Plane Rifle Scope. anyone got any experience with it?

SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    considering the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50mm 30mm Tube First Focal Plane Rifle Scope. anyone got any experience with it?

Hard no…only spot on the vortex line I would start at is their strike Eagle line. Either the 3-18 or 5-25 mil / FFP. LHT and razors would be my number 1 choice but now you’re north of $1200 and $2300 respectively.

I love the bushnell elite tactical series like the LRHS, LRTS, DMRs, and XRSs.

Price point and what features you want go a long way in helping answer your question.

If you want cheap but reliable go with the Arken EP5.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I can’t speak for this exact tactical scope, but I own several items from the diamondback lineup, including 2 rifle scopes and binoculars, and have been very please with the quality of them all. Generally quality crosses over to other items in the same product family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have been vert pleased with Leupold products I have sever of their scope. None of my scopes are the base models. My Leupold scopes are all used for deer hunting. American made with a life time warranty. I had a friend that had a very old Leupold that had a reticle problem and he sent it back to them. It could not be repaired and they send him a voucher to select any scope on their web site at a particular rice point. Cant beat that!

Top Bottom