Target Sports

Santa Rosa Deputy Attacked With Samurai Sword, Assailant Shot Dead!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LEO's seem to be very much on edge these days. I can't say I blame them, but there is a lot of cop shootings in the news lately, maybe there were always this many but not reported as much ? I tell you what, If I was a black or hispanic , I would not be running anywhere except on a ball field. I guess they have the thought that they might just get away??

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always been here always will, most people in Pensacola and surrounding area would flip their shit if even a quarter of the bad things that happened here were actually reported by the media. I guess thats really for everywhere I've lived though.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm sorry, but the officer approached the drunk man with the sword? Don't cops carry tazers for this?

rjsmith66

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tasers aren't for guys with swords. It is accepted that LEOs approach ready with one level of force above what they are facing.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Tasers aren't for guys with swords.

Maybe ive lived all these years in the dark, i thought shooting non lethal high voltage from distance is exactly what tasers are for. I can only assume the officer didn't have one. Still baffling while anyone would approach a sword wielding dunk, would love to see a dash cam or officer cam on this one. Could nake for a great training video. Speedy recover to our brave officer. I can sleep well knowing our town is safe once again.

rjsmith66

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A taser maximum range is 21 ft with a spread of the probes I believe one foot of spread for every 7 ft travelled. So at 21 ft the probes are at the end of their reach and 3 ft apart. Also the reactionary gap is 21 ft, meaning that on an average a person can cover 21 ft before a person can register what is occurring and react. Also I think he had a duty to approach the guy. I can just see the headline of an officer seeing a drunk person with a sword and not taking action and the in a drunken stupor he attacks people ( the drunk that is$

JSD2137

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only thing the officer did wrong was shot him twice shoulda shot em 4 times beheaded him and posted on youtube for people like me to view.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A samurai sword is, by definition, a lethal weapon. The officers knew the man had attacked people with knives prior to arrival, they attempted to engage with less lethal bean bags, and the man attacked a deputy and managed to put him In The hospital.
    Now, I'm not a law enforcement officer, I haven't gone through the academy, or FTO, nor had the time on the road to make sgt. But if it was me, and I was watching a man hit a deputy with a sword, I would have shot the samurai also. In fact, if I'm driving to Starbucks to get a Carmel frappe and I see a man hit a deputy with a sword, as a private citizen, I would pull over and shoot the joker.

To me, this isn't even in the same realm as a negligent discharge, or shooting an unarmed fleeing felon. The sgt used deadly force to protect someone from death or great bodily harm. And as Sean pointed out, this is the purpose if a firearm, to engage a threat outside of edged weapon distances.

This is of course taking the article at its word, and considering I have a soft spot for srso. I knew a lot of those guys before they took the oath, and they keep the swordsman out of my yard.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ok, I usually don't go back and forth with online stuff but I'm getting the feeling that my post has struck a nerve or something.

First off yes I agree with shoot to kill if your life is about to be taken by a bat, sword, knife, fishing line, etc.

I'm glad the second cop was there to protect the other officer who foolishly approached a person with a brandished sword who had already pointed or what not at other people.

What I guess I'll never understand is why would anyone do such a thing when there are other options, lethal or not, that could of ended the situation without having to take the blade.

My best guess is if the person would not put the sword down then the officer should of just shot him with his duty gun, shot him with a taser, spray pepper spray, or just drive over him with the patrol car, etc. But instead he approached him and got with in striking distance........ and all I can say is that is the absolute worst decision that I could think of, but I been wrong before.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    "Deputies attempted to engage him with non-lethal force using a bean-bag gun. Ray, apparently unaware the man was armed, attempted to engage him from around the corner of the house, Johnson said."

Is what I saw.

"
    The details of Kimbrell's shooting are redacted from the report, but according to the a Sheriff's Office press release, deputies arrived on the scene a short time later. Kimbrell was instructed several times to put the sword down but failed to comply. When Deputy Matt Ray approached Kimbrell, Kimbrell struck him with the sword multiple times."

Is what I apparently missed. My apologies for not reading thoroughly.

No, i would not have engaged a man with a sword from within a good 50 foot radius. I've been cut, and pretty bad, by knives that were not used as a weapon, so I have a pretty good reps for blades. Not saying the deputy didn't, the article does mention bean bags, but i wasn't there doni can't pick the situation apart.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sadly, he brought a knife to a gun fight. Drunk or not, the guy forced the situation. I'm not a cheerleader for LEO, but what do you expect to happen in this situation?

Doc

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok, I usually don't go back and forth with online stuff but I'm getting the feeling that my post has struck a nerve or something.

First off yes I agree with shoot to kill if your life is about to be taken by a bat, sword, knife, fishing line, etc.

I'm glad the second cop was there to protect the other officer who foolishly approached a person with a brandished sword who had already pointed or what not at other people.

What I guess I'll never understand is why would anyone do such a thing when there are other options, lethal or not, that could of ended the situation without having to take the blade.

My best guess is if the person would not put the sword down then the officer should of just shot him with his duty gun, shot him with a taser, spray pepper spray, or just drive over him with the patrol car, etc. But instead he approached him and got with in striking distance........ and all I can say is that is the absolute worst decision that I could think of, but I been wrong before.

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. I don't know your background if your were ever LE/MIL?

We were in Afghanistan, pulling some security for a BS meeting in Kabul. I kinda let my guard down and let an afghani too close for comfort. He had approached us from the place we were guarding, so I didn't really think he was a threat. Luckily for me our Duke systems(electronic warfare jamming) on our trucks was working. Once he got outside of the range of the system he turned into a pink mist. Apparently he had a radio controlled IED on him. Another person was in control of the detonation of said IED. Shortly after that we had a short, but intense firefight.

Looking back on this incident, I never let anyone within 50 feet of myself. If they kept coming they usually ended up with an M4 pointed at them with safety off. Mistakes happen, you need to learn from them though. I'm hoping this officer learns, just in case there is a next time.

Doc

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of my brothers recently retired as a cop in Houston. Glad he got out, as it seems to be an especially dangerous time for them. Or maybe it's always been that way, but it' just wasn't sensationilized in the media as much. He was hospitalized 3 times in his 20 plus years from attacks. Of course it was a criminal infested part of Houston.

Top Bottom