• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Cross-posted on Ruger Forums …

I have a Ruger No.3 45-70 Gov’t and trying to scope mount it.

I went with the Ruger made bases. (Ruger Ring Scope Base for No. 1 Varminter/No. 3 Rifles Steel Black | Cheaper Than Dirt)

Question is this, are the Ruger rings for this rifle/base selection the same for both front and rear or are they different (front rings need to be higher or lower, etc)? I picked up a second hand Leupold that came off a beautiful CZ Safari .375 H&H Mag rifle, its a VARI-X 3x9 and oddly its rather small for its capabilities but the issue I'm running into is the rings lead me to believe the two Ruger bases that I purchased are not on the same plane but I don't know. Can anyone chime in on this so we can get this properly mounted up? Thank you for any help you can provide

F0022B64-A3F6-4E27-B6A1-F13F887F47DE.jpeg

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have sent a message to Ruger (included the serial number) and a message to Leupold.

I guess I went with the cheaper option and should have gone with something custom

BamaFaninMilton

Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I had a No. 3 a few years ago, and I do remember having some difficulty with the scope bases not lining up correctly on the rifle because the holes that were drilled and tapped in the receiver were out of alignment. I finally found an old set of Buehler scope bases and rings that fixed the problem, not sure if you can find them nowadays but if I remember correctly I found them on Ebay.

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thank you for the info. I searched around for those bases and although some available, nothing for a No.3. I very much appriciate the information on this. I decided to go with the Conetrol bases and rings as it matched the rifle and the company was very confident they would fit with 100% refund if anything went wrong.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I can't remember if the #1 & #3 are offset like the M77 or not. Higher goes in the back I believe.

Those look like the same height from here :) do you have alignment rods

Top Bottom