• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    PSA: I purchased a Ruger Max-9 the other day. This card was in the box and I thought I would share it. Hope the information helps.

Attachments

• IMG_7112.jpg
      IMG_7112.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 19
    • IMG_7113.jpg
      IMG_7113.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 19

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They’ve been putting those cards in Ruger boxes for probably close to 50 years.
    They used to run full page ads in outdoor magazines.
    Trying to avoid lawsuits.
    Wow I did not know that thanks for the info. Only the second Ruger I've ever bought. First one I bought 40 years ago at a yard sale, didn't have a box. Mini-14 .223 stainless ranch rifle $250

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Wow I did not know that thanks for the info. Only the second Ruger I've ever bought. First one I bought 40 years ago at a yard sale, didn't have a box. Mini-14 .223 stainless ranch rifle $250
    Yes, there is a recall on the old models that don’t have the transfer bar. They supposedly can go off if dropped. Supposed to carry those with the hammer on an empty cylinder.
    I think the earliest new Ruger I bought was around 1980 and it has that card in the box.
    I’m going from memory here but I think the new model single six with the transfer bar came out around 1972 or 1973.

Bodhi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Funny thing is the orginal " death trap" models command a premium.
    I think it’s the myth (that just won’t die, thanks to the interweb) that the transfer bar interferes with the trigger mechanism and therefore you cannot get the smoothest possible action job.

I‘ve had dozens of opportunities to buy old three screw models over the years and simply prefer the newer models with transfer bars. Never had a competent gun smith tell me I was mistaken.
    Notice I said “competent.”

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it’s the myth (that just won’t die, thanks to the interweb) that the transfer bar interferes with the trigger mechanism and therefore you cannot get the smoothest possible action job.

I‘ve had dozens of opportunities to buy old three screw models over the years and simply prefer the newer models with transfer bars. Never had a competent gun smith tell me I was mistaken.
    Notice I said “competent.”
    Anything that goes against Safety concerns A gunsmith or any professional person cannot give you His true opinion So don't even ask. I will not address the safety aspect of the 2 either. But As far as the myth, from my experience The 3 screw model Ruger as well as the older Colt single action Do have a better trigger straight out of the box. How many did you compare side by side to form your opinion? The newer guns with transfer bar Still have excellent triggers And I'm sure a good gunsmith could make it even better.
    20240410_084932.jpg

Bodhi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess I wasn't clear in my post. No doubt if you like the four-clicks an OM does index better. I'm just fine with the NMs which are all I have anymore and can get an excellent trigger on them for a hunting/target gun. The conversion on a three screw is a bad move in my opinion, while the NM was designed around the transfer bar. The conversion on a three-screw is altogether inferior in terms of action - it will not be as good as a NM. The conversion parts are also quite flimsy compared to typically robust Ruger parts.

There's NOTHING wrong with the original action and it is NOT "unsafe." What IS unsafe is the improper handling of one - or ANY gun. I would not be afraid to use an OM unconverted and if I ever got another which had been converted, I'd change it back. There are a LOT single actions made since 1973 which do not have such a "safety" built in and no one's howling about those being "unsafe." Ruger must have looked like a bigger cash cow to the lawyers when they decided to sue someone over owner/user mishandling of their guns or all the other would have made the conversion too.

That said, converted OMs are going backwards in terms of trigger quality, IMO.

Top Bottom