• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was going to be buying a bx25 magazine for my 10/22 but I got a good deal on a butler creek 25 round so I decided it was worth a shot. Long story short first time trying it out it failed to feed every round. I used my buddies bx25 and it worked flawlessly every round. Is there any way to fix this or should I just throw it away and buy a bx 25 mag?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    On some of the BC mags, you have to adjust the feed lips. Just look at the BX25 and your BC, to see where the difference is. But usually just a tad bit of widening them, works, just don't over do it. Also, by using a cotton swab, swab the feed ramp from inside/out and along anywhere the round would travel (along the lips, start of the feed ramp). If the fibers get stuck or gets caught, this is most likely causing the stoppage. File it with fine grit paper to remove the burr. Do the cotton swabbing again, if no fibers are catching, load mag, manually rack and eject rounds in your 10/22 to see if it continues to FTF. If it does, then work on the feed lips. If after all this and it still FTF, send it back for refund, or trash it and buy the BX25. (NOTE: FTF in this reply refers to Failure to Feed, NOT Failure To Fire). g/l

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had the same experience. My BX25 runs without any issues and my Butler Creek periodically fails to feed. Not consistently though. I probably should try what Zeroed in suggested and I bet it would work without any issues. I'll have to add it to my list of things I don't have time to do.

Al

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been down this road too. You can find some good tips on rimfirecentral.com but the best tip of all is to buy nothing but Ruger magazines.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On some of the BC mags, you have to adjust the feed lips. Just look at the BX25 and your BC, to see where the difference is. But usually just a tad bit of widening them, works, just don't over do it. Also, by using a cotton swab, swab the feed ramp from inside/out and along anywhere the round would travel (along the lips, start of the feed ramp). If the fibers get stuck or gets caught, this is most likely causing the stoppage. File it with fine grit paper to remove the burr. Do the cotton swabbing again, if no fibers are catching, load mag, manually rack and eject rounds in your 10/22 to see if it continues to FTF. If it does, then work on the feed lips. If after all this and it still FTF, send it back for refund, or trash it and buy the BX25. (NOTE: FTF in this reply refers to Failure to Feed, NOT Failure To Fire). g/l

Thanks I'll give this a try. I only payed five bucks for it so if it doesn't end up working than it isn't a big deal. I'll still end up getting a bx25 magazine but if I can get this to work it will be a backup.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Same here. Ruger mags have worked flawlessly. Anything else has not.
    I only buy Ruger BX25 mags. If you can't get one at a reasonable price let me know. I have spares.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I ran into the same trouble I have a butler creek I've done everything under the sun to it to this day it will now only load the first round I hung it on the wall. As a memory. Was gonna give it away but to this day ain't found no one that's pissed me off that bad to give it to. Only bx for me from now on

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    At JJ's VT-6 shoot I loaned out a brand new bx-25 mag for one of the pilots. It jammed every round. I thought it might be an ammo issue. After a few minutes I realized the guy had loaded EVERY round with the rim behind the next round. Once I got it unloaded and reloaded it was fine.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ran into the same trouble I have a butler creek I've done everything under the sun to it to this day it will now only load the first round I hung it on the wall. As a memory. Was gonna give it away but to this day ain't found no one that's pissed me off that bad to give it to. Only bx for me from now on

I feel the same way. Wouldn't wish this evil on anybody. Once I get around to ordering the part for my ruger to make it work again I'll be picking up a bx mag.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At JJ's VT-6 shoot I loaned out a brand new bx-25 mag for one of the pilots. It jammed every round. I thought it might be an ammo issue. After a few minutes I realized the guy had loaded EVERY round with the rim behind the next round. Once I got it unloaded and reloaded it was fine.

With the butler creek, every round would halfway leave the magazine and then lodge itself in a funky angle every time so that rules out how it being loaded with the rim behind the next round.

Top Bottom