HD Tactical

Replica Break-top S&W #3/ Schofield, any experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tovarish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had a hankering for one of these break-top replicas for a while in 45 Colt. Has anyone owned and shot one? How do they hold up? How different is the grip from a standard SAA?

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like them. Uberti has been making them for years and there are lots of years of production to choose from. Also a fair number of used guns on the market. One issue is the one I have shot does shoot high to the right. Have heard of others that do the same thing. I have heard of others that shoot just fine

Another issue I have is the way they made cylinder to allow 45 LC cartridge to fit. After a box or two of shooting the finish along the barrel in front of the cylinder will show some lead and powder staining. All is cleanable.

They are very strong and durable.

A nice plus now you can get a No 3 replica also. Originally all Uberti offered was the Schofield.

In lots of way the No 3 has a better feel than the Schofield model.

Per comparing the grip to a SAA.. I like SAA better but just shoot one and compare. Its such a personal decision.

A no 3 is the gun Jessie James was killed with.

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 5" Uberti Schofield in 45 Colt. It's a good shooter but I prefer the Ruger Blackhwk grip shape. Mine shot a little low but I removed a smidge from the front sight and now it shoots to POA.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 5" Uberti Schofield in 45 Colt. It's a good shooter but I prefer the Ruger Blackhwk grip shape. Mine shot a little low but I removed a smidge from the front sight and now it shoots to POA.
    Not that long ago someone was selling a 5" Uberti barely used in box at a show. Think the box was titled a Wells Fargo model.

Soooooooo regreted not getting that. Think I said something stupid like "Why do I want a 5" model. Who needs another Schofield.." :( stupid thoughts.

Does your 5" also foul the barrel sides with residue after firing it???

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A number of years ago S&W reissued the Schofield in 45 Schofield. My wife picked up a new one for me in an Arizona gun shop. The quality of that revolver is superb. I shot it quite a bit in SASS matches and really liked the way it handles and performs. I have some 1874 SAA Colts and personally think the Schofield handles better. I can't offer anything about any of the other replicas as I have no experience with them.

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not that long ago someone was selling a 5" Uberti barely used in box at a show. Think the box was titled a Wells Fargo model.

Soooooooo regreted not getting that. Think I said something stupid like "Why do I want a 5" model. Who needs another Schofield.." :( stupid thoughts.

Does your 5" also foul the barrel sides with residue after firing it???
    No more so than any other revolver.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A number of years ago S&W reissued the Schofield in 45 Schofield. My wife picked up a new one for me in an Arizona gun shop. The quality of that revolver is superb. I shot it quite a bit in SASS matches and really liked the way it handles and performs. I have some 1874 SAA Colts and personally think the Schofield handles better. I can't offer anything about any of the other replicas as I have no experience with them.
    I did not know that S&W did those reissues back in 2000. That is nice, thanks for the info.

Just doing a quick google look, it does seem like S&W did not make many of them. And it seems they reverse engineered the whole thing from scratch. WOW.. That had to be a costly little reproduction.

In the same S&W no 3 vain here is a cool in the day variation. Like the way the cylinder swings out like the old Moore revolvers.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom