• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hispeed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Big shoutout to Nate at Little Jacks Guns for helping me get everything to turn research into reality. Posted a little while back in the WTB section looking for Ammo. I finally just ordered some but that post generated a little curiousity. Specifically, SAWMAN was looking for some feedback. So I had a chance to get this rifle out yesterday and thought I would share some data points here.

First impression--the cartridge is fairly unassuming. It has a rebated rim and the case is similar to that of a 6.8SPC. In fact, you need a 6.8SPC mag for this Ammo. I like to use the analogy of this cartridge being like a scaled down .243win. If you reduce almost every aspect of that cartridge by about 20-25%, this is the outcome. That's just my perspective though, YMMV.

Range Time--I followed NOSLERs recommended break-in procedures. Some say break in doesn't matter, and others swear by it. I figured I'll never be as smart as the folks at NOSLER so I might as well do what they recommend. Once I started break in, I immediately noticed this is a soft shooting round. Now, to be fair, my build weighs in at 11lbs, has a rifle length gas system and a rifle length buffer tube. Still, very soft shooting cartridge IMO. My barrel break in was 30 rounds and while I did break in I fine tuned my glass. During break-in, I was consistently shooting .5MOA at 100 yards. After break in, I stretched her out to 470 yards and put up 3" groups with relative ease using 55gr Ballistic Tip Ammo…when the wind was calm. The impressive part about the cartridge was what it ran in radar. My muzzle velocity was consistently between 3475 and 3520. So, that round is moving with a purpose.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with this cartridge. But I also built this rifle to be a medium range varmint exterminator. That's the role it was built for. There are plenty of other calibers out there which offer a variety of other benefits. But, in my search for a fast moving .22cal projectile that would do well on critters and had little drop, this was the answer. Build list below…
    283e7e94951db333610a271857ffbb38.jpg
    cb4343c9c568a15286412465f6c63226.jpg

Upper
    -Spikes Tactical Receiver
    -Odin Works 18" DMR 1/8 twist 416r handlapped barrel
    -Odin Works 750 Adjustable Gas Block
    -Odin Works 15.5" o2 Lite MLok rail
    -Odin Works Atlas 5 Tunable Compensator
    -Spikes BCG and Bolt
    -BCM Gunfighter CH
    -GG&G Standard 7"-9.5" bipod

Lower