• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tom Clancy, whose complex, adrenaline-fueled military novels spawned a new genre of thrillers and made him one of the world’s best-selling and best-known authors, died on Tuesday in a hospital in Baltimore. He was 66...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/b...st-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?_r=0

Good article here...

Tom Clancy's expertise was contagious. He knew how sonar could be defeated, how rubber bullets could kill, how the Secret Service could respond to a passenger jet nose-diving into the Capitol building, and myriad other ways the United States government could and likely would respond to threats at home and abroad. He knew all of this with a chilling degree of accuracy. And if you read Clancy's novels, you knew it, too...

Read more: Tom Clancy's Legacy: The Military-Entertainment Complex - Popular Mechanics
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-15995880?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1457_25749335

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, sad. I didn't care so much for his later work but I devoured everything from Red October through the late 90's. Another great one gone.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm going to miss his books. He was my favorite author. Did pretty well for an insurance salesman from Maryland. May he RIP.

Idoono

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I snagged this.

Stephen Coonts -The Author
    9 hours ago
    2013 has been a bad year for writers. Vince Flynn, Elmore Leonard, and now Tom Clancy, who died last night in a Baltimore hospital at age 66. Too young.

I got to know Tom about 25 years ago, and our paths crossed occasionally through the years at writers' events. Tom was a storytelling genius. His plots were complex, intricate and dazzling, the best in the business. He had an active, fertile mind, was fascinated by technology, and was a superb researcher. Characterizations, however, were not his strength.

Publishing professionals and booksellers often found Tom difficult to work with. He could be brusque and rude to the legions of fans who met him at book signings. And yet, he had a profound admiration and respect for the men and women who wore our nation's uniform. He never served in the military due to bad eyes, for which he wore thick corrective lenses. I often thought he would have probably willingly traded the writing career for a career in uniform if only God would have given him a do-over.

Tom gave generously of his time and talent as a mentor and friend to many beginning writers in and out of uniform. He would read manuscripts, call at all hours of the day and night with praise, suggestions, and encouragement. I will never forget the night he called me full of enthusiasm for my manuscript of FINAL FLIGHT. Thanks, Tom.

The attached photo of Tom, taken by Bill Butterworth (W.E. B. Griffin) is my favorite of him and captures the man I knew. He's off for another adventure now, wherever writers go. I hope someday to meet him there.

558655_261594223965271_1647499927_n.jpg

Attachments

• 558655_261594223965271_1647499927_n.jpg
      558655_261594223965271_1647499927_n.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 75

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After watching Red October if you forget about the drive unit how many had the passing thought. Did this really happen?I know it was fiction.BUT:noidea:

Top Bottom