• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_odom1600

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was wandering what is the big deal if someone is selling a gun for let's say 500, and I am interested in said gun, I would love it if people could comment if I could buy the gun new cheaper somewhere else. Like just saying it is 450 at a certain gun store. What's the harm in that. Helps people make better nformed decisions if they are trying to buy a gun to get the best deal. That's my rant

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The seller's price is what the seller values the gun at. It's up to you to find a cheaper price if you think the price is too much.

Put yourself in the seller's shoes. You're selling a gun you value at $500 and someone wants to buy it but before they do someone says hey it's cheaper over there. You wouldn't like that very much. If it was allowed, every single for sale post would have 100 posts of cheaper guns somewhere else.

It's common courtesy. Hope this helps.

D_odom1600

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I understand that from a sellers view but also think of the buyer who could get a better deal, but I understand you should do your research, it is what it is

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To keep arguments to a minimum.

You start talking crap on one my threads (warranted or not) & I am going to get pissed. Then wait tell you post something for sale & jump on it & post a bunch of crap. Then the cycle never ends.

If you want to tell someone specifically PM them or you can post a link to the deal in the (Deals) section.

I hate when people want to charge 3 times the retail price of ammo but bashing every one of those threads only adds to the arguments & work load of the moderators.

Now since this site is privately owned they could ban people who are here just to resell crap but that is a different topic. LOL

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the buyer isnt smart enough to do his research before hand, he deserves to over pay IMO. Its pretty simple to find deals these days, and if you dont it's plain laziness

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not being trite but I always google something and get a range from MSRP to the various internet sellers to used. I then feel I have a base to judge.

What the mods are trying to curtail is folks crowding up a sales thread with nonuseful remarks, snide comments or insults to the seller. Not that this happens much on here but it sure does on other forums.

IMO its the potential buyer's responsibility to figure out what something is worth and what he's willing to pay. I don't think you will often find anyone in here way out of line on price and the times I have, it was more of the seller's mistake, not knowing the worth, misled by someone else and so on.

I feel that if someone posts a firearm on here and its out of line price-wise I see no reason not to PM them, give examples of current market value and give a counter offer. The seller always has right of refusal. I see NO reason to take someone to task publicly or as in some cases use it as a platform to show a superior (supposed) knowledge of firearms appraisal or call someone out as a gouger.

If you want to sell a firearm you should have an idea what its worth. Again, do the research.

I do think some folks don't take into account taxes, FFL fees and such. Say a NIB Ruger LCP is $299 at the local gun store, that thing would be say $340 out the door at least with sales.tax,.call in and FFL. If someone has one NIB for $300 I think that is a decent deal. IMO.
    Just my .02

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the buyer isnt smart enough to do his research before hand, he deserves to over pay IMO. Its pretty simple to find deals these days, and if you dont it's plain laziness

/thread

this is exactly right! It's a buyers market and if a buyer isnt motivated enough to do his due diligence...hahahahaha at him. You live and you learn, you do your research when spending your money, make educated decisions, not rash judgements. The rich dont get rich by being stupid

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the same reason that, if someone were to come into my place of business where i bust my ass to provide for my family, knowing they're not going to buy a damn thing and are there just to shoot the bull with other customers, and tell a paying customer that so and so has it for less........ I want to throat punch them so hard they loose the ability to speak and i never have to worry about them running theyr dsl's ever again.

Its friggin rude and shows absolutely no class on their part. But it does show how much of a douche bag they are.

Now, if this same person, instead of going the douche bag rout, came to me and said....... just an fyi but so and so is selling the same product for XXX dollars, Id adjust my price accordingly.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the same reason that, if someone were to come into my place of business where i bust my ass to provide for my family, knowing they're not going to buy a damn thing and are there just to shoot the bull with other customers, and tell a paying customer that so and so has it for less........ I want to throat punch them so hard they loose the ability to speak and i never have to worry about them running theyr dsl's ever again.

Its friggin rude and shows absolutely no class on their part. But it does show how much of a douche bag they are.

I agree but you're comparing apples and oranges. Retail, NIB is one thing, internet forums is different. In some ways. Again, if youre a seller on line you know what you paid, what you need and what you feel its worth. If you're a buyer you need to have an idea what the going rate is. Same as buying a car. New or used.

As.far.as walking in a store and buying something, its the buyer's responsibility to be a smart shopper. As a seller, well, if you're a good one you'll be honest no matter what your asking price is. You do have, as a gun store rep, a responsibility to serve a customer. If you have a 5% markup, tell them. If you have a 200% markup defend your price but if they question it don't go attitude on them. Explain that is what the price is. If they don't like it, don't condescend to them. I was in a similar retail situation to a gun store.employee. My customer complaints were nil, my satisfied customer base and sales figures were documented off the charts. Remember that a lot of people walking in the door don't know jack about the industry. Its not their daily life nor their bread and butter. They are lookjng to you to guide them down a new path. I've dealt with my share of hang around know it all tire kickers. Nothing more irritating in the world. Best to gently, at first, show them the issues, then if needed the door. However, they are a fact of life. I've beat a pile of them at their own game. Never once did I have to be a jerk doing so. Not saying you are. Been in your place at least 20 times. Seldom left without spending money. I'm sure you're just venting on here but in real life I hope you keep those opinions to yourself for your paycheck and the owner's bottom line. I love sales. I love winning. A bitter attitude gains neither.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    We are all sellers as well as buyers, and not pissing people off insures a good and positive atmosphere of camaraderie and and openness to sharing information and as well as entertainment. Running around and being an asshole , pissing on other peoples threads just gets you the ban hammer.

If you feel so compelled, PM and everyone stays happy. Good rules and there for a very good reason IMO.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im not talking about anything specific at the store and Im definitely honest with my customers. You read waaaaay to much into what i was getting at. I probably should have stated it another way.

I look at someone selling something of theirs on line or even at a garage sale, news paper, etc... as they are conducting business plain and simple. Business is business. No matter if its a few hundred dollars or five million a year. It takes the same type of d-baggery personality to do it at either place. If someone were telling a paying customer in my front yard garage sale that they saw the same "widget" at the garage sale around the corner for less money id want to snatch a knot on their head.

A simple pm if on a forum or a discrete "side bar" at a store goes a long way in gaining and keeping mutual respect.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "smart" shoppers won't buy items that are high priced. It's very easy to find what the going rate for just about anything is with a quick google search or gunbroker, if you're into that.

I understand it's rude to comment on someone else's thread, even if the seller is being a douche by asking way more than the going rate (whether or not they are aware of it). If there is no interest, they'll get the message and either lower the price or stop selling.

I do enjoy the reasoning that "this is what I paid, so this is what I'd like to get out of it" when the price is well over retail.

Either way. It's their right to ask what they want and your right to not buy it.

Should this be in the "gouging" thread? Or is "gouging" only an issue when some people are actually paying "gouging" prices and everyone else is upset about it because they think it's to high?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you feel so compelled, PM and everyone stays happy.

This^^^

I've done it a couple of times and no one has gotten butt hurt. Just said something like "Hi, you may not know this, but the (insert item)you're selling is priced higher than retail. I'm not interested in buying and I didn't want to crap in your thread. Just figured I would give you a heads up before someone gets pissy about it." Sometimes they adjust, sometimes they just say thanks, but I have yet for someone to tell me F-off.

What I've seen on a lot of boards is people trying to sell off the stuff they bought during the Sandy Hook debacle that they over payed on and think they can get their money or at least most if it back. I think it sucks they paid too much and they are free to try and sell a $400 item for $600, won't happen in most cases, but they are free to try.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've done it a couple of times and no one has gotten butt hurt. Just said something like "Hi, you may not know this, but the (insert item)you're selling is priced higher than retail. I'm not interested in buying and I didn't want to crap in your thread. Just figured I would give you a heads up before someone gets pissy about it."
    Exactly. I've done this too a couple of times and was thanked for the "heads up" each time. Its just a matter of having respect for other people.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes Bigbulls, I may have read too much harshness into your words. And I would be a liar if I said I never felt the same way in retail at one time or another. I apologize if I came across badly too. I think I know where you work and who you are. I know there is one guy in there or at least used to be that always gave off bad vibes to me, probably you are not him. I've never had a bad experience personally in there, in fact I've enjoyed every visit.

That's the funny thing about gun stores. Seems like every one has a loyal following and also has a few that swear its the worst place in town. The firearm subject and selling of them is more serious than buying things in Walmart, Home Depot and ranks up there with cars except for the price. This is a hobby where a greater percentage of customers have some knowledge and everyone has opinions. Guys generally like to think they're well informed on anything that interests them. Most know the limits of that knowledge.but there will always be somebody out there that thinks they know twice as much as they actually do. Its.that small group that can piss off the pope in two seconds. Gun people, as a general rule are above average in intelligence, have more understanding of the world, are closer together in political beliefs and principles than the population at large, at least that's what I've found in my relatively brief time in the hobby or mindset or whatever you want to call it. There's also a lot of brand loyalty and that leads to, not really arguments, but at least debates.

Back to the subject at hand: yep, if you see someone selling something on here and you think its too high,.PM them if you are so inclined. If you're a seller and get one of those PMs take it or leave it, its your stuff. No purpose is served by a public, petty pissing match, especially in the firearm world. We already have enough sinister eyes staring at us looking for any excuse to paint us in a bad light, they don't need one single example of friction that they can spin, twist or magnify for their purposes.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pricing a used item can be a pain in the butt. Especially if you had bought it retail, paid taxes, background check and add accessories, etc. Then generally people want to haggle so some may consider that when establishing an asking price. Sellers generally take a hit but on the other side the buyer takes a risk. I've been on the receiving end of a couple lemons but its a buyer beware world out there. I personally would welcome a pm if my asking price was out of line. If I list something its because I need cash for something else and take a loss. I'm going through that right now. I have a injury and have been out of work. So I'm considering selling some stuff and trying to figure out prices.

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sometimes it can come down to not waiting three days to pick up the gun too. If you don't have the CWP sometimes the wait sucks to wait to play with your new toy.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think we should be able to point out stupid prices to stupid sellers...since I can't, I PM the posters that ask about or comment on the gun telling them it is cheaper elsewhere or not the gun the seller says it is. If the guy is asking 500 and used it is worth 400 and you want to buy it, post in his topic your offer of $400, no rule against that! Like 22 ammo for $65, offer $25 or whatever .05 a rd is.

Top Bottom