• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can anyone tell me if the primer pockets are removed from this brass or not? I want a second opinion...

2013-12-11 21.40.31.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2013-12-11 21.40.31.jpg
      2013-12-11 21.40.31.jpg
      182.6 KB · Views: 170

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SB are you talking about the military crimp? If you are they appear to still be there. Simple test... see if a boxer primer will slide in without too much resistance, if so the primer crimp has been removed, and if not the crimp needs to be removed. I hope this helps any.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, they are not going in easy and I'm having issues loading them... Side ways, excessive force, shavings in the press... etc. I bought 1K back in June from a company that were suppose to be processed with the crimp removed. I sent them an email about 30 minutes ago and wanted a second opinion so if they tried to tell me otherwise.

BTW, the company is http://tacticalbrass.com. I usually get my brass from Brass Bros (they sell Top Brass) and never had a problem with it.

I ordered a Dillon Super Swagger a few days ago to work on some brass I got from another forum member but it's not here yet. Hopefully Tactical Brass will make good on this and either credit me some or replace it with brass that has the primer pocket removed like it was advertised.

Thanks!

Last edited:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ahh joy. Lake City brass. Remember to reduce your loads on these due to the thicker case walls changing the internal volume. Otherwise they shoot just fine. I run a primer pocket reamer in my small drill press to remove the crimp.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even with the Dillon Swager it's a pain. You MUST sort your brass by head stamp and usually have to re-adjust the Dillon for each different head stamp or you will still end up with tight pockets or else pockets too large to securely hold the primer. Be sure and check primer fit closely after adjusting or you will end up re-doing them or even worse, having to scrap them because the pockets are too big.

There are a couple of good easy modifications on youtube for the Dillon. (no permanent change to the Dillon) Both speed up the process but you can only do one or the other.

http://youtu.be/MHGOSrjbssw

http://youtu.be/C34sRku4ASY

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update: Tactical Brass is going to take them back and send me a new batch. WOW! That's impressive since I bought these 7 months ago.

M.O.A., I've loaded 6K already but this was the first batch of "processed brass" that I had issues with. I found 25.5gr of H335 to be great with the Sierra 1390's and just picked up another 30 pounds so I'm gonna be busy :)

JohnAL, thanks for the advice. I've watched a few of them already and will probably modify it when it comes in.

Last edited:

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It only has a triangle, 88 and 9mm on it.
    Will it fire normally with the primer squeezed in there? I'm loading very light as is

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll fire just the caps in 2-3 tonight and see what they do..the primer goes in just REALLY snug.. or I may just throw those pieces out..

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got the Dillon in yesterday and got it mounted and made the modification to make it "automatic". Works great!

2013-12-16-21.55.jpg

I also threw a quick video together to show off my bench. It's a little messy because I just put the Dillon on. The video is also crappy but you get the idea.

Here is the video...

http://youtu.be/oZ5gvAC6XpE

Attachments

• 2013-12-16-21.55.jpg
      2013-12-16-21.55.jpg
      120.6 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom