• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does anyone know anything about antique pocket watches or know any jewelry stores that you can recommend to appraise them? I have a really old Elgin pocket watch as well as an old Sears pocket watch. I believe they are both gold. I have tried searching for similar ones on google, and can't seem to find anything that look exactly like them. I don't really need them and was just curious if they were worth anything or just fun history to hang on to. I can post a couple of pictures if we have any pocket watch experts on here. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $_57.jpg
    I believe the Elgin is early 1910's time frame and the sears is around the 1920's. I found a similar Elgin on ebay currently for about $17...that seems a little crazy for a fully functioning watch that is 100+ years old. I found a similar Sears listed for about $80. That seems a little more realistic. Just curious if anyone has any experience. Obviously at the end of the day, they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
      $_57.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 194
    Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have an Elgin exactly like yours that was my Grandfathers who died in 1965 when I was 7. I think it was about 1982 when I was told it was worth $30 but I don't even remember who told me that amount.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That wouldn't necessarily surprise me. I have seen them online anywhere from $10 up to $900. The way my luck goes is that I have one worth $10. They've just been sitting on my dresser for the last 10 years and I noticed them today and decided it was time to try and figure out what I had. I bought both of them from a previous neighbor at a garage sale and never even tried winding them up. I was surprised today to figure out they both work.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've got a pocket watch I bought in Turkey in the early 70s. Made in Constantinople (now Istanbul).
    Still works.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    A big factor in value is what is the case made of? I.e., Gold = valuable; gold wash or plated = not so valuable. The more jewels, the more valuable.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Jeff, remember these. OH ..... WAIT ..... !! You was a helo pilot so you never got far enough from the base to ever need one. :lol:

Never mind. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC01042.jpg
      DSC01042.jpg
      290.9 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Elginwatches.org is a good place to start. Although I think your time period is off by a decade or two. The face is in the art deco style that was made in the 20's- 30's. Completely disregard any appraisal under 120 though if the watch truly is in working condition, and by that I mean it can still be wound and keeps accurate time.

Last edited:

Egordon71

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Value will depend on the a jewel count as well. Open the back and count the jewels. Two watches may look identical but have different value based on the movement.

Egordon71

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nwacc has meetings in pensacola I think the third Sunday every other month. Look up Nwacc pensacola chapter. National Watch and Clock Collectors

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I contacted Hamilton Watch Co. re the watch in my post #8. Just got back a nice little letter from their "historian".

Seems that it is not as rare as I figured. As I thought,they were used for navigation. When shooting the stars with a sextant,it is extremely important to know what time it is. I did a "time hack" with WWV two days ago and this watch is still right on to the second. UNBELIEVABLE !!

There are several varieties of this watch including a railroad model which is actually worth more money. This watch appraises at between $450. and $650.

Can't remember where my dad said that he got it from. Knowing him ......... he probably won it in a card game. --- SAWMAN
    Edit To Add: I remember in about 1972,on the way to Diego Garcia in a C-130,the navigator actually used a sextant kinda contraption and had one of these watches in a red colored wooden case. I told him that I had a watch like that at home and he just gave me a dirty look.

Last edited:

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you ever get your hands on a over sized hamilton "Deck Watch" pocket watch you start getting north of a grand pretty easily. I'm just a casual watch collector, but I went through a phase a couple of years ago were pocket watches just did it for me.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe the Watch and clock collectors used to meet at the watch repair shop about 1 1/2 miles West of New Warrington Road on Jackson Ave in Myrtle Grove, if they're still in business. They had watches and clocks ALL over the place. It's now known as Joel's TV and Satellite Repair. Go figure. Maybe they moved and would know. There have got to be others though in town.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I went Warrington Jewelers on Friday. Don't know why I didn't think about them because I've done work for them in the past. Anyways, the owner is super nice and was happy to talk about watches. He was able to open the inner cover of the Elgin watch and we were able to look up the serial number. The watch was made in 1917. Elgin made 1000 of that particular model in 1917 (they made a large number of that model over about a 30 year span). The watch is a size 12 with a gold filled case and a 17 jewel movement. From the research I've done, a lot of the Elgin pocket watches were "cheaper" 7 jewel movements. I also learned that watches significantly increase in value and aren't considered antique until after they hit the 100 year mark. Between 75 and 100 they are "vintage" watches. Definitely an interesting learning experience. Apparently the old Sear pocket watch I have is a vintage 40's ish gold plated watch and isn't rare or very valuable. Thanks for the advice.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have to check them out next time I'm over that way to visit the pa-n-law. My Elgin needs to be repaired due to the wife dropping it, but I can't be P.O.ed at her as she had it fixed for me back when we first got together. That was when I learned that only one jeweler had ever had the case opened and as luck would have it he was who she took it to for repair. Mr. Coleman of Coleman's Jewelery showed her where he had made his mark inside the back of the case each time he worked on it. Seven repairs spanning 60 years of his career as a jeweler and most of the repairs were due to the watch being dropped over the years.

Top Bottom