• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackwolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there any range local I can run my chrono at on a tripod? I asked oak ridge and they do not. I was a member at ERML for years and dropped when they appointed the first idiot range master. Refuse to ever go back....

So any local ranges allow it?

I'm only needing to run a few 5 shot groups of 9mm and .40S&W. Anyone know the specifics now on discharging firearm outside the city in your backyard as long as the projectiles stay on your property? Last I heard it was legal.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ERML got rid of the bad seeds. The current R.O. is very friendly and helpful.
    I nearly left because of the same problems....but I'm glad I stayed. You really cant get a better deal near Pcola if you shoot more than a few times a year.
    There are a lot fewer needless rules there compared to other ranges.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I nearly left because of the same problems....but I'm glad I stayed. You really cant get a better deal near Pcola if you shoot more than a few times a year.

I left ERML long ago because of the bad seeds and just started buying my own property to shoot on. I don't understand why they would not let you use your own Chrony at the range. Hell I run my in the house but with the PCP airguns. LOL

I use duct seal for a backstop. Works prefect.

20130607_163739_zps79155082.jpg

Slackwolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Unless they cleaned house of the board members that just sat by and let it happen and stay that way, I'm not interested.

So styx allows you to chrono?

I know I use my chrono in my backyard for bows and crossbows without complaint, I just wouldn't run it in the house with them. :)

Still wondering about the outside city limits laws for shooting in backyard. I know around 2010-2011 they were changing and allowing more to be done on your own property as long as nothing left your property.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still wondering about the outside city limits laws for shooting in backyard. I know around 2010-2011 they were changing and allowing more to be done on your own property as long as nothing left your property.

Unless you have a proper backstop, I would not attempt shooting in your backyard of a subdivision. Even on 1-2 acre lots I would not do it without a proper backstop. If complaints are filed, you will have to prove that you are shooting in a safe environment to ensure that bullets are not leaving your property. The FL statute that applies is below. The key is the highlighted portion. Most incidents that I have read about talks about having the proper backstop to make sure that bullets are not leaving your property. If you don't have that, then most of the time, you are considered discharging a firearm in a wreckless/negligent manner. That was the big stink about the guy shooting on his property in Navarre a few years ago. He was shooting on something like 20 acres. But because it was zoned residential and they showed that his backstop (bunch of junk) was causing ricochets etc... they got him to stop etc...

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.

Another statute for this is the following. It states that it has to be a safe location. And again, in most incidents that I have read about, it's the lack of or having a correct backstop that makes it considered safe or not safe according to this statute and case law..

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

With all the said, if I knew all my neighbors very good and I could install a backstop in my backyard, I'd be shooting in my backyard.

Last edited:

Slackwolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless you have a proper backstop, I would not attempt shooting in your backyard of a subdivision. Even on 1-2 acre lots I would not do it without a proper backstop. If complaints are filed, you will have to prove that you are shooting in a safe environment to ensure that bullets are not leaving your property. The FL statute that applies is below. The key is the highlighted portion. Most incidents that I have read about talks about having the proper backstop to make sure that bullets are not leaving your property. If you don't have that, then most of the time, you are considered discharging a firearm in a wreckless/negligent manner. That was the big stink about the guy shooting on his property in Navarre a few years ago. He was shooting on something like 20 acres. But because it was zoned residential and they showed that his backstop (bunch of junk) was causing ricochets etc... they got him to stop etc...

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.

Another statute for this is the following. It states that it has to be a safe location. And again, in most incidents that I have read about, it's the lack of or having a correct backstop that makes it considered safe or not safe according to this statute and case law..

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

With all the said, if I knew all my neighbors very good and I could install a backstop in my backyard, I'd be shooting in my backyard.

10-4 thanks for quoting the statues. Unfortunately on another forum the statues I found quoted were misquoted so I was having trouble finding exact details without starting from scratch on my search.

I had plans on installing a proper backstop but I think with neighbors like I have, I'll have trouble proving it's a proper backstop unless it's massive..... Was thinking 2 stacks thick of railroad ties buried in clay and sand. From what I've read from good sources, 6" of sand/hardpack clay is plenty to slow up any normal FMJ centerfire handgun round and the RR tie would finish the job with the second tie behind the first just incase. More trouble than it's worth......

Guess the bows and crossbows will be it for the backyard still.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just to add have find railroad ties not the best to shot in to with a pistol, we have had some come back on us, But on the other side if you want to come to jay gave me a call. Just my 2 cents jj

Top Bottom