• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had them check it out there's just said random miss fires they told me to go hook it up to a (real) obd2 and that would tell me what was wrong with it. Chevy wants 100 buck to hook it up. I thought it jumped timing I pulled it apart Saturday and changed the all that and set the timing but it is still missing
    I will do plugs, wires, cap and router today hope I get it fix

From The Deep Woods

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's an app for that ;)

No, seriously, the Torque app is quite nice and all you need is a bluetooth adapter to read what the computer is telling you. I could show you if you're interested. I know it doesn't solve your immediate problems, but for future reference.

Also, I have a back up mini scan tron that, I believe, tells which cylinder is misfiring. What year and motor are we talking about? I wouldn't take it to the stealership unless I had reached the more money than brains phase of life! Sounds like you are starting with the basics, so let us know what those items do.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

No, seriously, the Torque app is quite nice and all you need is a bluetooth adapter to read what the computer is telling you. I could show you if you're interested. I know it doesn't solve your immediate problems, but for future reference.

Also, I have a back up mini scan tron that, I believe, tells which cylinder is misfiring. What year and motor are we talking about? I wouldn't take it to the stealership unless I had reached the more money than brains phase of life! Sounds like you are starting with the basics, so let us know what those items do.

Yep, Bluetooth device and app and it's better than most scanners that you can buy. The device is $20 bucks on ebay and the app is $5 in the app store. And it gives you more than anything you could ever want.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bigdaddy, you don't have one?

I used the one at advance auto in Milton yesterday and it was a pretty nice one. I just cleared the codes on my dodge after I put 2 new batteries in. Took 30 secs.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    an obd scanner cant diagnose a car. It can show you what codes are current and/or stored in memory, but it cant physically diagnose a car. May tell you misfire cylinder one, but until you test a coil or measure resistance of a spark plug wire against specification, you wont know what the cause is.

Better example, code may be for oxygen sensor, the parts stores will try to sell you an oxygen sensor. A simple intake leak could cause a bank to run lean and trigger an oxygen sensor code. The codes are a fault, not a diagnostic procedure.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind of truck do you have? A random misfire will be impossible to diagnose with a code reader, all you will be doing is blindly throwing parts at it until you fix it. With a professional diagnostic scanner you would be able to see which cylinder is misfiring, read fuel trims to rule out a fuel or vacuum issue, etc. Getting the code P0300 random misfire is a very vague code, anyone can drive it and tell it has a misfire so the code reader has not told you anything you didn't already know. Good luck fixing it, hopefully a tune up will fix it.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have the Torque App too and it's awesome. Not only does it read your codes but gives you all kinds of other information about your vehicles engine. Comes in handy to monitor Turbo boost. I picked up the Bluetooth reader off Ebay for around $15.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had random multiple mis-fire in my 01 F150 turned out to be a $3 90 degree vacuum boot on PVC valve, I have a reader here to if you get this way. Also some reader store pended codes, while some only show active codes. As for mine I replaced about $40 worth of vacuum lines just as preventative maintenance.

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the Torque App too and it's awesome. Not only does it read your codes but gives you all kinds of other information about your vehicles engine. Comes in handy to monitor Turbo boost. I picked up the Bluetooth reader off Ebay for around $15.

Best $20 I have spent to help with diagnostics. I also have a 2001 SSEI and the big issue with those, while being modified, is reading knock retard to see if you need to correct tuning before blowing up the motor. The scan gauges I could buy that would give me a knock retard reader were in the $170-220 range starting. Great bang for the buck.

Top Bottom