• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which is the best for BCG?Also,if you just replaced the bolt(which would be easy to clean)without the increased weight of a complete BCG,would this be better?Thanks

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I remember reading, the np-3 is more durable, but I think that I was reading that from Robar's site.

Yep there it is.

http://robarguns.com/blog/2013/08/23/np3-vs-nickel-boron/

I have a NP3 coated POF and it is very very slick, I got it used and it was used pretty hard, but the np3 has held up great. I have a couple of NIB bolts, but haven't shot them enough to make a good comparison in terms of durability.

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty cool,thanks for the link.looks like NP-3 PLUS is the sh&t!Me personally,i still haven't worn out the regular BCG yet,but looking for something that cleans up easy.

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can see were that tool would be useful.I ordered a bolt for my 5.45x39 from ballistic advantage in NiB,they also have barrels with NiB but are presently out of stock.I'm gearing up to shoot the cheap (Corrosive) steel case Russian surplus.I think it will make clean up better.I think NP-3 might be next.They also carry NiB lower build and trigger kits which I thought was cool!

Last edited:

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    NP3 is the shit; Ive had two auto pistols and one revolver NP3ed'. I shot IPSC, action pistol and ICORE revolver matches for many many years,and always used cast bullets, which make any pistol or revolver pretty "gummy" after several hundred rounds. No kidding, you don't even need solvent, it of course aids in clean up, but a old cotton tee shirt wiped thoroughly over firearm, wisked the gunk right off. It is simply amazing stuff. Durable too, over many years, I never noticed any chipping or missing coating from the handguns.

Andrew Jackson

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...r-15-m16-ar-style-308-cat-tool-prod31857.aspx

I picked up one of those, pretty useful little tool for BCG cleaning regardless of the material.

A pocket knife also does the job really well. I even have the fancy Leatherman MUT I got when I was a boot...good tool but really all you need is an AP brush, pocket knife, Rem Wipes, CLP, Bore Snake and 3 cleaning rods. I can get an M16 so clean a Major will get a moto boner with just those few tools.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ran over 1k rds through an NP3 coated POF on a training weekend a few weeks ago without cleaning, it never missed a beat.
    When I did clean it, it cleaned up with no effort at all and looked brand new.
    There may be a difference in wear if the reciever is not NP3 coated (the POF has everything NP3 coated) but it has earned my confidence at this point

Last edited:
    Top Bottom