APOD Firearms

no use for cast bullets, what to do with them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ended up with about thirteen pounds of .40 caliber swc projectiles and I don't have a use for them. It seems not many others do either. I tried selling/trading them off, no luck. I can't use them in my polygonal rifled barrel .40S&W and don't know what to do with them...

Should I give up and set about having these converted into more fishing weights than I will ever need? Is there anything else that can be done with them? Thanks for your thoughts! -Josh

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a levergun? Convert them to 30/30 or .300 blackout. Just need a mold and sizing die.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Goodmorning, I am not real knowledgeable on such stuff but, could these bullets be shot in some cal. blackpowder rifle? Let me know Denny

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a study floating around out there regarding cast boolits and Glocks. I believe the round count was around 500 before any noticeable increase in pressure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good idea MOA, but sadly I have no leverguns or anything else that would really suit cast bullets.

If they are well cast, properly lubed, hard cast bullets.....shoot em! If you don't want them, I'll take em off your hands and happily shoot them thru my G22.

My only experience with lead fouling and polygonal rifling involved a jacketed projectile that somehow smeared down the barrel of a 24C. The next couple rounds were more and more inaccurate, each adding to the pile of metal in the barrel. Removing that small amount of lead was way more work cleaning a barrel than I ever care to go through again. I may just be paranoid, but it was no fun. I take it your experiences have been different than mine??! Please, tell me more...

I have considered picking up an aftermarket barrel, but haven't yet as I would much rather be spending money on reloading components than gun parts...

I listed these for sale here, but there were no takers. I have $40 in them if anyone is interested. It is a 500 count box of 175gn SWC, and each that I measured was .401"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom