• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevintaylor1214

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys some of you may have seen my intro thread. I'm new to the world of handguns so I've got a few questions. They'll all pertain to my Hk45 tactical which I'll include a picture of.
    1001d5f63cd6ebe1779673ac744a35fe.jpg

First off is the sights. It came stock with night sights. Being used to the ar15 I always put the top edge of the front sight post on the target. With this it has 2 dots on the rear and 1 on the front. Do I put the dots on my target or the top edge of the sight post?

Second I've got the laser attachment, what's the best range to zero that in at?

Third what's everyone's opinion on the Winchester 45acp? (White box) it's the cheapest ammo I can find next to the tul ammo which I refuse to use after trying it in my AR. I believe it's 230 grain with brass casing and full Metal jacket. (Some calibers have it in hollow point.

Like I said I'm pretty new to handguns so go easy on me.

Edit: the flashlight/laser is purely for looks and fun when I'm shooting. I got a great deal buying it used from my cousin. The light will come in use if I were ever required to use it at night for home defense but that's not likely in the town I live in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good looking pistol.

I have shot a ton of Win. White Box .45 over the years. It's a little dirty but otherwise no complaints. It cleans up easy enough.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey guys some of you may have seen my intro thread. I'm new to the world of handguns so I've got a few questions. They'll all pertain to my Hk45 tactical which I'll include a picture of.
    1001d5f63cd6ebe1779673ac744a35fe.jpg

First off is the sights. It came stock with the trijicon night sights. Being used to the ar15 I always put the top edge of the front sight post on the target. With this it has 2 dots on the rear and 1 on the front. Do I put the dots on my target or the top edge of the sight post?

Second I've got the laser attachment, what's the best range to zero that in at?

Third what's everyone's opinion on the Winchester 45acp? (White box) it's the cheapest ammo I can find next to the tul ammo which I refuse to use after trying it in my AR. I believe it's 230 grain with brass casing and full Metal jacket. (Some calibers have it in hollow point.

Like I said I'm pretty new to handguns so go easy on me.

Edit: the flashlight/laser is purely for looks and fun when I'm shooting. I got a great deal buying it used from my cousin. The light will come in use if I were ever required to use it at night for home defense but that's not likely in the town I live in.

1. You'll have to figure out where your sights hit at what distance. Here are 3 examples of possible sight pictures:

sightimages.jpg

Any of those could be correct for your pistol, depending on distance, ammunition, etc. Only shooting it will be able to give you that info. Personally, I would start with the sight picture in the middle, and see where your bullets impact.

2. You have to take into consideration the distance between the laser and the bore when zeroing a laser. Given the most handgun shooting is within 25 yards, a 15-20yd zero will generally be "close enough" at all of those distances. If you zero at 15, for example, the laser will be below the impact at closer distances and above the impact at further distances. See here:

Pistol_Zero.jpg

3. Nothing wrong with Winchester White Box. Buy the cheapest ammo you can find that runs reliably and just shoot.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good looking pistol.

I have shot a ton of Win. White Box .45 over the years. It's a little dirty but otherwise no complaints. It cleans up easy enough.

I agree great looking but it's needs a suppressor... With the threaded barrel and high sights.

kevintaylor1214

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree great looking but it's needs a suppressor... With the threaded barrel and high sights.
    Haha I agree but I'd like to get a little better with it before paying $400+ on suppresser and tax stamp.

Last edited:

nwfft

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another thing to consider is whether you want to zero at statistically proven defensive distances (about 7 yards) or bullseye/marksmanship distances (10 yards and beyond)

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice looking gun. I like all brands that cycle reliably. 230 gr Federal fmj is about cheapest at walmart. Perfecta is brass cased Tula. It might do better than steel if you prefer brass. Also, if I could move to your town, I could sell my gun. Where is your town? LOL

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As usual Jeep provided great info. Since your new to pistol craft I'll toss a few more things out there. Sight alignment. Is the relationship of the front and rear sights where the top of both are on the same level plane and there is equal spacing (gap) between the front sight post and inside edges of both sides of the rear. Lets call this Black sights. This is the same with dots or N/S: level and spacing. If Black sights are properly aligned so are the dots and visa versa. N/S and dots are set below the level plane of the Black sights but this is a minute amount
    (1/32-1/64+-). In practical use this difference in Point of Impact (POI) is moot as it falls within other variables like hold, ammo velicoty differences round to round.

Sight picture is when you impose your sight alignment on a target. It is a matter of personal preference to hold at center or 6 o'clock position. I find using a 6 o'clock hold works better at distance. Actual POI will drive sight adjustment and or hold if needed. I disagree with sighting in at close distance (except for tiny guns). You may be acceptably in the black at 3 or 7 yards but the POI at 25 yards will likely be well off target. If your on target at 25 yards, you will be on target all the way back to the muzzle. This is minute of bad guy accuracy. Once you know you POI at various distances your set.

Lazers have limits in visability at distance, variable light conditions and size at distance. As there is a big difference in elevation between them, I prefer they co-witness at distance. Again if you do it close, the angles imposed will make long shots low.

As said before White Box is ok but I would choose something better for defensive use. Function in the gun is always the #1priorty followed by what it does down range (accuracy/damage).

Don't expect to be Wyatt Earp over night. It takes time and practice. Get the basics down pat and then incorporate other skill sets. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom