• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willieG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm new at red dots and I'm trying to choose between the Holosun 407k 6MOA and the 407c 2MOA to put on my Mark IV.
    My 68 year old eyes ain't what they used to be and I'm guessing some of you more experienced folks may be in the same boat. :) and can advise me.
    My targeting will be mostly indoors at 25 yards if it matters, so I'm leaning towards the 6 MOA.
    Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    At that close range, you really should give each a try to see what you like. Everyone's eyes are different.
    Paper targets and accuracy, the 2moa will probably be better. 6moa would be good to quickly aquire a mass in a self defense situation.
    Just my opinion.

willieG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At that close range, you really should give each a try to see what you like. Everyone's eyes are different.
    Paper targets and accuracy, the 2moa will probably be better. 6moa would be good to quickly aquire a mass in a self defense situation.
    Just my opinion.
    And sometimes I will be outdoors at 50 yds.
    I would love to try both first before I buy. Who in P'cola lets ya test drive em?

Thank you.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    And sometimes I will be outdoors at 50 yds.
    I would love to try both first before I buy. Who in P'cola lets ya test drive em?

Thank you.
    What size is what you want to shoot at 50 yds ? If it were the difference between a 2 MOA dot and a 6 MOA dot, but don't both come with a selection of different reticles ??

willieG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What size is what you want to shoot at 50 yds ? If it were the difference between a 2 MOA dot and a 6 MOA dot, but don't both come with a selection of different reticles ??
    Like I said I'm new at these, so I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you elaborate?

There's a lot of buzzwords and numbers I've yet to fully understand. Thanks.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Once you choose a red dot, check Lobos mounts.

Also, you can buy takeoff uppers and setup close and long range options.

Bigger dots for speed, running steel plates and such.

Small dots for bullseye.

Last edited:

willieG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once you choose a red dot, check Lobos mounts.

Also, you can buy takeoff uppers and setup close and long range options.

Bigger dots for speed, running steel plates and such.

Small dots for bullseye.
    I messaged Lobos yesterday, waiting for reply. Tandemkross has a mount as well, just not as pretty.

Thanks for the tips. Every piece of knowledge helps. ;)

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    If you shoot indoors, must be at Pensacola Indoor range, I am surprised they don't have some dots on the rental guns? or just go to Mike's and look at a few to get an idea. You really don't need to shoot one to see if your eyes like them or not. Some of the dots break up into a blur with stigmatism and other eye ailments.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Ill try to explain MOA as I know. I maybe wrong lol. imagine a 360 degree circle around the shooter with the shooter in the center. Each degree should be roughly 60 inches wide like minutes on a clock or ‘minoots’ little pieces. We say ‘men nuts’ and thats wrong lol A 2 MOA dot should cover 2 ‘minoots’ of 1 angle at 100 yds and 6 MOA should cover 6 minutes of angle at 100 yds and thats if your eyes are good for a lit dot. When the target is closer the radius of the circle shrinks and angles with the same 60 minutes get tighter and the dot will cover more angle. Covers less ‘minoots’ at farther distances. Thats kinda how I know it as. I’ve been wrong before

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    407c is a bigger optic overall. I'm 53 and the 2moa dot is my go to. That being said, I do have a 6moa dot but its on a dedicated carry gun. The 6moa might be a bit big for 25-30yd use in my opinion...

willieG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    407c is a bigger optic overall. I'm 53 and the 2moa dot is my go to. That being said, I do have a 6moa dot but its on a dedicated carry gun. The 6moa might be a bit big for 25-30yd use in my opinion...
    I'm coming around to thinking the 407C 2moa in green might be the best for me, although the red would probably work fine too.
    I've ordered the Lobos mount. Now I just need to watch for the 4th of July sales.

Thanks all for the sage advice! I'm still learning.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom