• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    had a great morning doing some shooting and riding the ATV through the forest and decided to look in on one of my hunting houses.
    so I climb the ladder and open the floor hatch which is part of the floor underneath and stick my head inside only to be attacked by a huge Owl that got tangled up in my hair and we were both freaking out.
    the Owl gets loose with me knocking the hell out of it and flies out a small hole I use to see out of during Deer season so all is good I think!!!!

I climb inside from underneath and close the hatch so I don't fall out by accident and I'm in a dark 4x4 elevated room when I hear a Rattlesnake go off.
    Damn that's a bad feeling when your trapped , its dark , you know your in striking distance and the only way out would be to lower your body through the bottom again where your chest , then neck and head will be at floor level.
    I freeze and start to calm myself down since I at least am wearing snake boots and my vision is starting to adapt to the low light and I have drawn my Magnum Judge .
    the only relief I had was finding out that a baby owl has by nature developed the ability to mimic a Rattlesnake.
    as I see them in this big mess of previously neatly kept carpet covered by junk , hair , bones and Turds the size of my dogs all over the place.
    the smell is indescribable and the largest baby Owl settles down and looks like it is asleep. the pictures are bad but here is the 5 babies. I know the little one will not make it because the big one is many times its size and the one who made the snake sound.
    I will check in on them with a better camera soon and be ready for the sound this time but a complete renovation will be in order once they are gone and screens will go up afterwards. Damn what a mess!

1st and 3rd pic you can see the big one is way advanced on the other 4

01.jpg
    04.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 339
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 332
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 339
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 337
    Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow! My day would have been over when the owl got tangled in my hair.

Also, I had no idea baby owls could sound like a rattlesnake. Look forward to more pictures!

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Will be interesting to see them grow up. I would have been cussing up a storm. WTH WTF SOB!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess the funny thing would have been, you start shooting, shoot the floor out and fall thru...just my sense of humor for a better picture...LOL Good thing is, there is your cover scent for deer season!

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    good one Frank , I almost did. they can really sound exactly like a Rattler

Wouldn't it be cool if you could stick a webcam in there, and we could all watch them grow up till they leave.

good thought. I plan on going in one more time with my Video camera and try to catch the snake sound for youtube. I do have a plotwatcher that will snap pics for 6 days but he light is way too low in there . a lot is written about the babies being able to sound like a Rattlesnake but no audio so I hope to catch it. I will wear gloves and only open the door enough to try and record the audio video and not go in until the mom has left this time. thought for sure I had a rabid raccoon on my head biting me instead of talons that cut me pretty bad . I immediately washed my head with alcohol and applied anti biotics.
    I am sure the small owls are doomed as this bigger chick will peck them to death soon. after my next visit [ in one week ] I will not bother them again and let nature take its coarse.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That's a great story, never had an owl in mine but I'm sure we could start a thread with crazy hunting stories. Hope your head heals up haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Great story. I went up to my lease and rode the 4 wheeler and did some shooting last weekend. It's not near as fun when it's 90 degrees as it is when it's 60 degrees. I doubt I will go back till fall.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update. took video but could not get a peep out of the baby owls but here they are.
    the very small one hid under the largest so I just took a few pics and left.
    one pic posted twice but I only see 4 pictures to edit so I will leave it as a double post

5.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 105
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      234.7 KB · Views: 117
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      335.5 KB · Views: 120
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      233.8 KB · Views: 106
    Last edited:

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ugly! Wow those things are just hideous... Well a full grown owl isn't all that pretty up close in HD either..

Johnny Bravo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unbelievable! I woulda crapped myself 3 times! The first two that you mentioned, and a third time while thinking of the first two! Awesome pics!

JB

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Updated pics. they are all still doing well but one hid under the chick on the left and all you can see is its butt sticking out and another behind it.
    also a quick glimpse at the mom who left as soon as I knock .I decided next year to just put a new tarp down on the floor and staple it up about a foot and let her nest again. plenty of room , dry and not very hot inside. better than a hole in a tree

last picture is 3 chicks but 2 are hiding. they all look healthy

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      273.9 KB · Views: 72
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg