• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bean Counter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just had to get this off of my chest as our wonderful news reporters are some of the most useless individuals in the business. Our county has two commissioners who have screwed this county into a lawsuit due to a complete lack of competence and dereliction of duties based on their personal opinions. Every fucking media organization that has said anything about the county awarding the pier contract to Mr. Gibson has never informed the public how that contract was fraudulently awarded. Here's how it works folks. The county uses what is called a matrix system to award contracts based on the merits of the contract with the lowest total score winning. In the case of the Navarre Pier Mr. Gibson won the contract as was reported in the press. What has not been reported is the way that came about. Commissioners Salter, Cole, and Lynchard ranked Dorothy Slye, the current operator, 1st and Gibson 2nd based on the good of the county. Commissioners Melvin and Williamson ranked Gibson 1st and Slye 5th and 4th (respectively). Mr. Melvin has been quite vocal in his personal hatred of Ms. Slye and told numerous people before the vote that she would not be getting the contract again. On Monday of this week the commissioners made and passed a motion to have this contract voted on as it was never voted on in a meeting. That day there were people mad at the three commissioners that did their job based on the good of the county. Today Mr. Gibson filed a lawsuit against the county, which may cost the taxpayers. It is beyond me how anybody with half a lick of sense believes that Melvin and Williamson based their ranking of the contracts on there benefit to the county and not their own personal opinions of an individual. These two commissioners are going to cost the taxpayers money that they say they don't have. Regardless of your personal opinions of the two individuals and based solely on the way this thing was handled it stinks. I personally think that the two commissioners should take responsibility for their lack of competence and if not I hope the State ethics commission gets their asses. It just pisses me off that the media have led the public to believe that the three commissioners that did their jobs with no personal bias are the ones doing the wrong thing. Yes I know this is a gun forum but this is more about the issue at hand than the pier itself. Our system is set up so there is always an odd number 5 people vote you will have a majority winner. In this case the winner was chosen by 2 beating 3, go figure. So FUCK YOU - Navarre Press, Pensacola News Journal, TV 3, and the Northwest Florida Daily News for giving the people the information you want them to know not, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. I am going to break something now and I will feel better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i wish i could have been at that meeting it sucks that they have those meetings at 9am on a monday when they know every blue collard boy supporten a family has got to work and cant take off to support something like this.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It just pisses me off that personal opinions get put ahead of the good of the people. The Gibson contract was pretty much the same as the Slye contract, other than the one that won has the county spending 200-250K of taxpayer money to build a restaurant for the new leaseholders. The one that lost does not include the taxpayers spending a penny. Seems like a no brainier until you get personal opinions put ahead of the good of the people.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The corruption and incompetence in SR county government is mind boggling, seen it up close and personally. It is my opinion the public servants there are in the pockets of some wealthy folks that either ignore the laws or receive tax payer money to correct the infractions to laws and building codes they commit.

I'm sure there's government corruption everywhere but in SR county I've seen it up close and had it adversely affect me personally. And we the people are paying for all this corruption and good ole boy politics with our hard earned tax money while they continue to absorb vast amounts of public funds for their hefty salaries and very generous bennies.

I would never live in SR county again.

Rick

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone done business in the I-10 industrial park on 87 in East Milton? It is Santa Rosa's version of the collard green pot.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i wish i could have been at that meeting it sucks that they have those meetings at 9am on a monday when they know every blue collard boy supporten a family has got to work and cant take off to support something like this.
    i know man. thats why those sons of bitches do it like that. if we (people like us on this forum not the brain dead idiots in the general population) had any actual say in anything we would do shit that makes sense and they would lose theyre tons of money theyre stealing from us.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, that's a HUGE paragraph, and it ain't jiving to me.,,,,so, we have 5 commissioners: Salter, Cole, Lynch, Melvin and Williamson. Yet, "In this case the winner was chosen by 2 beating 3, go figure." Sounds to me like the "2" convinced one of the "3" to change their vote.

Ok, so what does this mean? "On Monday of this week the commissioners made and passed a motion to have this contract voted on, as it was never voted on in a meeting." So, did they vote behind closed doors( 'cause that's what that sounds like)? That would be illegal( sunshine law).

Do you know why Melvin hates Slye so much? I'm sure there's a story there.

Wait a minute, Gibson won the contract, yet he filed a lawsuit? What's that about?

No offense, but it's a pier, does it really matter who runs it?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly, my feelings is that Mr. Gibson was going to operate a full restaurant at the peir. Navarre severely lacks in places to eat and I would welcome another place to eat.

Last edited:

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I haven't kept up with the whole pier debacle. But I will say that Pasco Gibson is one hell of a great guy. The navarre pier has been ran pretty crappy for the past few years, anyone remember a few years ago when mrs slye shut down the pier in the middle of tourist season so that a family member of hers could have a wedding at the end of it? Its time for a change!

Bean Counter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for the confusion CCHGN. That is what the media would have you believe. This is how it worked. It was a lowest total score.

Cole, Lynchard, and Salter...= Slye 1 and Pasco 2....................Score...Slye 3....Pasco 6
    Williamson.........................= Pacso 1 and Slye 4....................Score...Slye 7....Pasco 7
    Melvin..............................= Pasco 1 and Slye 5..............Final Total...Pasco 8....Slye 12

I could give a rats ass who gets the contract its the way the whole damn thing has been handled. The media especially the Navarre Press has never reported on the scoring only that the three commissioners that disagreed with the scoring are wrong and should be chastised by the taxpayers. The system works fine when our elected officials are acting in the best interest of the county, it should be close. In this case the system did not work because these two slammed one of the applicants due to their personal opinions, not what was best for the county. You are right, Pasco is a good guy and I don't blame him one bit for suing the county over this thing. My problem is that the commissioner's that fucked it up are the ones that should be sued yet as is usual the taxpayer will be the one getting screwed.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't kept up with the whole pier debacle. But I will say that Pasco Gibson is one hell of a great guy. The navarre pier has been ran pretty crappy for the past few years, anyone remember a few years ago when mrs slye shut down the pier in the middle of tourist season so that a family member of hers could have a wedding at the end of it? Its time for a change!

Pasco is a great guy from all of my dealings with him as well. He's been a great business owner in Santa Rosa County for a long time.

I learned a long time ago that there is no system out there for rewarding contracts in a way that takes out the human element. There are always ways around the "fairness" aspect of it. And it usually takes courts to figure it all out. Totally normal and happens all too often. I have dealt with governemnt contracting for a while. It's scary what goes on. And all it does is cost those that have nothing to do with the problem at hand.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still, it seems to me that the scoring system is the problem( should be one seat=one vote),,

and we still don't know why the guy who got the contract is suing.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The guy suing because he won the contract in what was basically a 2-3 vote (he had two commissioners vote him 1st, those commissioners also voted the next best contract 4th and 5th which was what caused the results to be skewed). If there is a re-vote he knows that he will lose because it will only be between the top two contracts. To date none of the media have reported what the vote count was, additionally they have made no mention that the Gibson contract was changed to substitute Yolanda Wells (wife) for Clifton Wells (husband) because he is a county employee and ineligible to bid on county contracts per state law. The matrix system the county uses should work and has for 20 years and it should be the equivalent of one seat = one vote when dealing with multiple contracts. The problem is that it relies on the integrity of the commissioners as if one commissioner wants to swing a vote they can by dumping on a bid.

kwright06

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The guy suing because he won the contract in what was basically a 2-3 vote (he had two commissioners vote him 1st, those commissioners also voted the next best contract 4th and 5th which was what caused the results to be skewed). If there is a re-vote he knows that he will lose because it will only be between the top two contracts. To date none of the media have reported what the vote count was, additionally they have made no mention that the Gibson contract was changed to substitute Yolanda Wells (wife) for Clifton Wells (husband) because he is a county employee and ineligible to bid on county contracts per state law. The matrix system the county uses should work and has for 20 years and it should be the equivalent of one seat = one vote when dealing with multiple contracts. The problem is that it relies on the integrity of the commissioners as if one commissioner wants to swing a vote they can by dumping on a bid.

Personally I do not think that Dorthy Slye should be running the pier. She has caused nothing but problems at that pier between the noise ordinances, shutting it down for a personal wedding, allowing tourist to be on the pier during a tropical storm, which could have opened up a lawsuit to the county. She has no one to blame but herself for screwing the pier contract up. She thought she owned that pier when she was just supposed to run it the way the country wanted it ran.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom