DK Firearms

My home has been struck by lightning 5 times this year, what can I do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemery

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    live in north Jay and had to have lightening rods installed also lived in Gulf Breeze and had rods installed there also. They have worked for us. Also have a surge protector behind meter to stop it coming from the power line. Sounds like a 22 rifle going off but lights do not even blink. Also, don't know at this time installs them. Good luck

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    As had been said, check your grounds, get a whole house surge protector, and use UPS systems on all important electronics. I currently use 5 UPS's as I type this. The modems (2) and router have their own UPS. My computer has its own UPS as well as my wife's has hers. The main TV is on a UPS while the bedroom TV also has it's own. When I built the house we installed grounds around the house and cad welded everything together.

And good luck!
    Which UPS are you using? I have had 2 from amazon and both have been trash.

Budchugger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not really anything you can do, lightning rods really only attract the lightning and send it to ground where it can re-enter your house and still do damage.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    As had been said, check your grounds, get a whole house surge protector, and use UPS systems on all important electronics. I currently use 5 UPS's as I type this. The modems (2) and router have their own UPS. My computer has its own UPS as well as my wife's has hers. The main TV is on a UPS while the bedroom TV also has it's own. When I built the house we installed grounds around the house and cad welded everything together.

And good luck!
    I think I missed it, what is UPS?

Cygnus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We just got struck by lightning AGAIN for the 5th time this year. Each time it does our internet system gets smashed and a technician has to come out. Is there anything we can do to prevent or reduce the impact of lightning? Everything is on surge protectors, but our provider says that lightning tends to hit the broadband cable and there's no protection for that.
    There is protection for that.
    It's called a lightning arrestor.
    Basically it's a device with an air gap to ground, that only completes the circuit if the voltage coming down the line is over a certain amount of volts.

In the case of a lightning strike the high voltage jumps the gap and goes to ground right there instead of traveling miles along telephone, electric, etc lines.

SaltyOne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We just got struck by lightning AGAIN for the 5th time this year. Each time it does our internet system gets smashed and a technician has to come out. Is there anything we can do to prevent or reduce the impact of lightning? Everything is on surge protectors, but our provider says that lightning tends to hit the broadband cable and there's no protection for that.

Create a primary target, maybe? Don’t know if you’re in an HOA-run area, if not string up some type of taller-than-your-home lightning rod with a grounded cable, maybe? Plant some trees, hire a crew (unless you’ve got Hella-tall ladders) and try to use that to entice the lightning to strike it, rather than your home. I’m assuming you already have already installed lightning rods on your home and they aren’t sufficient that is. Or see if there is a better way to shield/ground your home against lightning, your power company should be able to assist you- I’m sure you’ve contacted them by now, or speak to an electrician who does commercial installs, I recall seeing lightning rods on almost every commercial building in FL. Sorry to hear, that’s like Guinness Book type stuff, 5 times in a single year? Have you added something to the home that is creating the attraction? Maybe start there…? Idk, it’s definitely pricey buying mature, grown trees but it’s gotta be worth the investment at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think I missed it, what is UPS?
    Sorry just seen this. A UPS is an Uninterruptible Power Supply. Basically it takes AC power, converts it to DC power for the batteries, then takes the DC power to make AC power. Basically it isolates your computer, TV, etc. from the power company AC power and provides power in the event of a blackout (for a time).

Idoono

Latest posts

Top Bottom