Patriot Mobile

My home has been struck by lightning 5 times this year, what can I do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    We just got struck by lightning AGAIN for the 5th time this year. Each time it does our internet system gets smashed and a technician has to come out. Is there anything we can do to prevent or reduce the impact of lightning? Everything is on surge protectors, but our provider says that lightning tends to hit the broadband cable and there's no protection for that.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    During lighting we trip the breaker for our AC. After a 6,800 bill for the last hit. The lightning is hitting the cable and riding it into your house. EMP. Static charge is usually what kills everything not the voltage. There is no device that can switch fast enough to protect your electronics. Ymmv.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been in my house thirty years now and have been hit multiple times. Typically it fries my wells submersible pump, so about a $1,000.00 a pop every time, I'd say I've had to replace it about ten times now in the thirty years. The worst hit, took out not only the submersible pump but my heat pump, my computer motherboard, my stove, TV, and refrigerator. Every time the repairmen come to replace stuff I always ask them is there anything I can do and they all say no. One of the pump guys showed me a scar that ran down the back of his neck where he was hit by lightning. Not directly but he said it hit close to him and traveled underground and got him.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    1. Underground utilities
    2. Lightning rods
    3. Large grounding rods and wire
    4. Whole house surge protector

Electricity is like water - it always takes the easiest route to ground- you just need to make something else easier than your house.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    I think this is true statement. Florida has more lightening strikes by a large margin than any other state. All of my outlets near copper water pipes are ground fault. All my sensitive electronics are plugged into a surge protector that I turn off during a storm. I don't know if any precaution will be 100% effective.

Last edited:

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We just got struck by lightning AGAIN for the 5th time this year. Each time it does our internet system gets smashed and a technician has to come out. Is there anything we can do to prevent or reduce the impact of lightning? Everything is on surge protectors, but our provider says that lightning tends to hit the broadband cable and there's no protection for that.
    buy a lottery ticket cause you are do some good luck. Pardon me if I decline to come for supper at your house.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

:)

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My buddy works at one of the largest condos on the beach here. At thier office they have a huge flagpole. It got hit the other day and it went off like a bomb. It blew off a large part of its concrete foundation. It also did something I thought wasn't possible, it fried a nearby company trucks electronics. He sent me a grainy video where when it happened you can see the headlights flash he says. (The video is so poor I took his word for it, it was a poor recording of a video monitor.) Once the lighting left the pole it actually even traveled inside the office nearby. It must have went thru the rebar. Along the way it messed up the wood deck out front. It then went inside and even melted the underlayment for the floating wood floors. Which is insane. It also took out all the internet and anything else electrical nearby. Even the sprinkler systems blew out. So be careful about flagpoles or antennas near the house. If you do, make sure they're grounded properly. Somehow this one wasn't. Luckily it happened at night and no one was there. I'm pretty sure it caused a 100ft death zone or so IMG955794.jpg IMG955801.jpg IMG955794.jpg

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My buddy works at one of the largest condos on the beach here. At thier office they have a huge flagpole. It got hit the other day and it went off like a bomb. It blew off a large part of its concrete foundation. It also did something I thought wasn't possible, it fried a nearby company trucks electronics. He sent me a grainy video where when it happened you can see the headlights flash he says. (The video is so poor I took his word for it, it was a poor recording of a video monitor.) Once the lighting left the pole it actually even traveled inside the office nearby. It must have went thru the rebar. Along the way it messed up the wood deck out front. It then went inside and even melted the underlayment for the floating wood floors. Which is insane. It also took out all the internet and anything else electrical nearby. Even the sprinkler systems blew out. So be careful about flagpoles or antennas near the house. If you do, make sure they're grounded properly. Somehow this one wasn't. Luckily it happened at night and no one was there. I'm pretty sure it caused a 100ft death zone or so View attachment 179789 View attachment 179790 View attachment 179789

Lighting fried our Honda Civic

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Lighting fried our Honda Civic
    I wonder how that works. Typically if lightning hits your car as you drive it don't hurt it. The tires are supposed to ground it out. But like rebel said, maybe the EMP aspect kills them instead

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I wonder how that works. Typically if lightning hits your car as you drive it don't hurt it. The tires are supposed to ground it out. But like rebel said, maybe the EMP aspect kills them instead

It did not hit the car. The car was parked in the carport and the power came into the house there. Lightning struck the line and blew out all our electrics and fried the civic.

The civic was still under warranty so it got fixed but it was never the same. It needed a new computer and a bunch of sensors and other odds and ends.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Put a 1-iron on your roof. Even God can't hit a 1-iron.

Top Bottom