DK Firearms

My beagles ears are terrible, need advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a two year old female beagle that has disgusting, smelly, nasty ear infections. It is a constant thing, always having to use q tips to clean them out. It's a dark brown type of infection. We have been to the vet (Megan's landing) several times and she has gotten steroids and pills and stuff. We have also tried zymox ointment with cortisone as many places online rave about its ear infection killing abilities. It doesn't work. Our other beagle has no ear issues whatsoever. The one with bad ears tends to get greasy and smelly all over if she doesn't get a bath within two to three weeks. They both eat taste of the wild grain free dog food. Help me out, I feel bad for this dog! Sometimes it seems like she has the same infection on her feet, she always scratches her ears or chews and licks her feet.

Here's a picture of her, she needs your help!

Untitled by milesvdustin, on Flickr

Last edited:

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    no one here will have access to the type medications that your dog needs so my advice to to find another doctor because your dog is at risk of total hearing loose and infection of the brain.
    I recommend the best Vet i have ever known and is one of the greatest most moral men I have ever met and have known for 40 years.

Mike Henderson, DVM - Warrington Veterinary Clinic
    (850) 453-3151
    7197 W Highway 98, Pensacola, FL

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My lab use to get BAD ear infections......50/50 alcohol/vinegar, if you screw up like me and accidentially use hydrogen peroxide----my chocolate lab went to having "highlighted" hair around his ears!!!

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some times food allergies can cause these types of problem. If all else fails (Meds/Vets)try some of the ID food from the vet. I have a dog that has to eat ID only for over 3 years now.

Joe

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We use the peroxide to but our dog is light colored any way. Stuff really works and is alot cheaper than vet. Didn,t think about vinegar.

Baywatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Talk to your vet. We had problems with my malamutes ears. We used some stiff called Odie Smooth. You squirt it in the ears rub the ears and let them shake it out. Make sure you do it outside. You will have ear stuff all over the walls.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We also took her to dr. Spray berry at olive road. We have done the steroids, antibiotics, ear drops, cream, rinses, other pills.... I have a feeling another vet is going to take a grip of cash from me and again do nothing for the dog. I asked here to see if anyone had a good home remedy that works. I guess I'll try dr Henderson.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We also took her to dr. Spray berry at olive road. We have done the steroids, antibiotics, ear drops, cream, rinses, other pills.... I have a feeling another vet is going to take a grip of cash from me and again do nothing for the dog. I asked here to see if anyone had a good home remedy that works. I guess I'll try dr Henderson.

make sure you call and set up an appointment with Mike because he does have other vets working under him and is not at his office every day.
    I always insist he be the one who sees my dogs. good luck , I love Beagles and had them both for pets and hunting when I was younger

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Our weiner dog gets this problem from time to time. We use Epi-Otic Advanced. Made by Virbac.. It is for ear cleanser for dogs,cats,puppiess, and kittens. Cleansing,drying,non-irritating deratolytic antiseptic. Got this from Woodbine vet clinic.

RJ

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Years ago our cat had same issues (stinky, greasy pus)..we tried most of the cleaning solutions available with no results..ended up having several cysts deep n his ear canal..had surgery to remove and never had another problem..i hope this isnt the case with ur pup but thought I would share

adrenaline

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No help here, but my my 13 year old lab "Jenny" had the same problem later on in her life. Took her to a couple different vets and they couldn't solve it. BROKE my heart that she had it and I knew it bothered her and none of the vets knew what to do. SPEND the money to take your pet to a "good" vet and hopefully they can help her out.

Top Bottom