• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always wanted a sports bike and finally thinking about it sometime this year. Won't be anything too crazy. Just a good starter sports bike. But I want to buy new cuz I don't really trust the craigslist bikes I see online.

My question is: is buying a bike the same as buying a car? And what I mean is pricing. Of those of u that have bought bikes in the past was there much negotiating or was it simply paying the asking price? Also is there anywhere to test drive bikes. Most of the places around here look at u funny for asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's very rare to find a dealership that will let you test ride the new bikes. The best chance would be to find a dealership that is having some type of factory sponsored test ride event and to get in on it.

The last bike I purchased new was the M109R that I currently own. Dealers in our NW Florida were sticking to the manufacturer's retail price and some of them were even higher (2008). I had a trip down to Daytona Beach and decided to take my trailer with me, just in case I found a bike along the way. I bet I stopped in 20 dealerships on the way down and ended up picking up the bike in Jacksonville on the way back. I saved over $3,000.

All I can say is to make every effort to not get in a hurry when looking.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deals on new crotch rockets are hard to find. They sell too fast. Best bet is good financing deals. I know Honda runs .9% interest from time to time. And Suzuki does sometimes as well.

As far as test rides go, you're best bet is to rent one. I know there used to be a place in PC that rented them. If this is your first crotch rocket I'd steer clear of liter bikes. An R6 or CBR600 would be plenty fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "I've always wanted a sports bike and finally thinking about it sometime this year"

You sir are a brave soul !!!

Rick

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "I've always wanted a sports bike and finally thinking about it sometime this year"

You sir are a brave soul !!!

Rick
    When handled responsibly they are quite fun and relatively safe. My problem is that every time I twist the throttle on one my adrenaline kicks in and my brain shuts down. That's why I own a Harley. If I owned a sportsbike I wouldn't be posting this. But I've never described myself as responsible.

To the OP...if you're a responsible person who doesn't tend to overindulge then by all means buy one and have a helluva time. Question...have you ever rode one before?

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did sport bikes when I was younger, in my twenties. My last bike was a Harley, and I think I'll stick to those going forward.
    The temptation to be stupid on a Harley is about 1% of what it was on the sport bikes.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deals on new bikes are hard to find just because they sell as fast as they come in and are considered recreation, but sometimes you can find them.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When handled responsibly they are quite fun and relatively safe. My problem is that every time I twist the throttle on one my adrenaline kicks in and my brain shuts down. That's why I own a Harley. If I owned a sportsbike I wouldn't be posting this. But I've never described myself as responsible.

To the OP...if you're a responsible person who doesn't tend to overindulge then by all means buy one and have a helluva time. Question...have you ever rode one before?

It's not the riders doing something stupid that's the problem, it's the idiots that pay no attention to other traffic. I don't drive all that many miles yet seem to always have to take some kind of quick evasive action to avoid aforementioned idiot. The lack of respect they show a 5000lb pickup will only be magnified on a 800lb motorcycle.

I'd love to have a bike myself, thought about it hard about 10 years ago. Then there were 4 deaths in 3 bike accidents within 3 miles of my house during a several month period, none the fault of the riders.

Rick

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started on a Honda Trail 50 when I was a wee lad then a Yamaha 100 enduro. My first real street bike was a CBR600. It was a great street bike with plenty of power and low maintenance. I got it used for around $2500 from a private party. I used it for a few years and sold it when I moved for around the same price. I went to a Honda Shadow 1100 after that.

I don't have one now. Too many people around here that don't see motorcycles. Since I've lived here, I've seen 2 bikers dead on the road from cars entering traffic and taking them out. In both cases they didn't see the motorcycle and the rider was unable to evade the impact. One was a sport bike and one was a Harley. One a younger man and the other an older seasoned rider. Both of the drivers that pulled out and struck and killed the bikers were older folks. When I use to ride it was usually with a group (2 or more) . Safety in numbers. When riding, it's about situational awareness and being seen by people that don't pay attention to their surroundings.

On another note, a buddy I use to ride with didn't wear a helmet. One evening going home a deer jumped out in front of him and took him down. He lived through it but ended up with a stay in the hospital because he cracked his skull and they had to scrape gravel out that was impacted into various parts of his body. Dress for the crash.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do lot's of searching online, you'll be amazed at the difference in price. I bought a new bike in 2008, just a relatively inexpensive C50 Suzuki and saved over $1800 by searching online. Went to the Suzuki dealer in P'cola and got a price which was non negotiable and a lot higher than I had seen them going for in my initial searches. He also did not have the color I wanted and would not try to get it, basically take the color I have or forget it.
    Started really looking online and found lot's of lower prices. Only problem was when I would contact dealer with the lower price it would be "Oh we just sold that one, have another but it's more expensive...". Typical bait and switch bullshit. But after contacting 4 or 5 and getting something similar to that I found one that had a price way better than anyone else. I expected to get the same line but was pretty much shocked when the girl I spoke to said yes, that was the price and they had several in stock. Took a 7 hour ride towing a trailer, spent a night in a motel, had a few meals out, saw a part of the country I had never seen before and still came home with $1,200 more in my pocket than if I had bought locally. To me it was worth it, that $1,200 went for insurance, boots, riding jacket etc. and still had money left over.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not the riders doing something stupid that's the problem, it's the idiots that pay no attention to other traffic. I don't drive all that many miles yet seem to always have to take some kind of quick evasive action to avoid aforementioned idiot. The lack of respect they show a 5000lb pickup will only be magnified on a 800lb motorcycle.

I'd love to have a bike myself, thought about it hard about 10 years ago. Then there were 4 deaths in 3 bike accidents within 3 miles of my house during a several month period, none the fault of the riders.

Rick
    I agree 100%. It's just something about me, when I get on a sports bike I get stupid. This isn't to say all people on a crotch rocket are that way. I just lose self control and go way too fast without any regard for my safety.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yipper, they are fun. I saw a fool once going east on I-10 coming of the Esc. Bay bridge, riding a wheelie, doing easy 70-75mph. Even rode it thru the slight curve. Get caught, and I hear tell it's a stiff fine for just bringing the front wheel off the pavement.
    I had 'em back in the day, ride a HD now.
    As far as good deals, after you have decided what you want, you should call each dealership and ask what the bottom out the door price is for that particular bike. You can save a few hundred, to a few thousands, just depends.
    I wouldn't be dead-set against not buying used. Find a good deal, check the bike out, test ride it (if they'll let you). Check underneath the frame, fairing, crashbars, footpegs for scrapes and damage. Good indicator the bike has been laid down.
    Ask if it's been dropped, ask how easy it'll pop a wheelie, and how far has he ridden one with this bike? Ask what's the top speed that it's actually been up to? Ask where do they take it for maintenance/service and the last time it was in?
    If they say No, it's never been laid down, and you see fairing damage or underneath damage, he's most likely raised hell with the bike. Same thing if he says it pops wheelies very easily, and top speed is 1xx mph and easily reached, that he knows this from the last time he out ran the popo. And if there is No maintenance records, even if he did maintenance himself (he should record the work). It's probably not the bike you're looking for.
    Check the mileage, and Know the Maintenance Schedule of the particular bike. Example: Maybe the cam bearings need replacing at 30k miles, and the bike has 33K miles and the service has not been completed. (This could be expensive to you/out of pocket money). This bike may not be the one you're looking for.
    Check the rear tire tread. Ask when was it last replaced? If it worn down and he put it on 1k miles ago, he's raising hell on it. Most rear tires will last 5k with normal riding (pretty slick and maybe cords showing), depending on the tire manufacturer. Other cheap tires may last maybe 3.5k miles or less.
    But there are plenty of used bikes around that have been well cared for, and of course are a lot cheaper than buying new. A good start especially if it's your 1st bike, or not sure if it's the best one for you after you had it for 6 months or more. You won't be out of a lot of money after re-selling it.
    Above all else, while riding, WATCH out for the other drivers. People do not give a rats ass about you on a bike and will pull out in front of you at any given time. They apparently think a bike can stop on a dime, as safe and easily as a car at a moments notice, Be careful and ride safe.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. I consider myself fairly reasonable and responsible. I don't "think" I'd be that guy doing 150 on one wheel. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. I grew up around dirt bikes so I know how to ride. But never really been on anything with a lot of power. I plan on taking the motorcycle endorsement or whatever they call it these days soon, and will kinda go from there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. I consider myself fairly reasonable and responsible. I don't "think" I'd be that guy doing 150 on one wheel. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. I grew up around dirt bikes so I know how to ride. But never really been on anything with a lot of power. I plan on taking the motorcycle endorsement or whatever they call it these days soon, and will kinda go from there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    After the course I highly recommend renting one just to see. Might help you decide between two.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Had an R6 when I was young. Got a Harley when I grew up. I just dont feel like sticking my ass up in the air anymore. Women on sports bike are nice to look at though.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always wanted a sports bike to then I get reminded every time I go drive my truck that I will save my money for something else. The drivers around here have no regard for anyone. No turn signals nothing, but on a side note you can find some nice bikes on craigslist and honestly I wouldn't buy a brand new bike as your first. My friend bought a nice Honda VFR 800 for around 3K and has been flawless the only thing he needed to replace was the back tire. If you do your home work I bet you can get a very nice bike on craigslist. There are a bunch of videos on youtube on what to look for. Tricks that sellers will do to hide stuff on bikes etc. Also don't be afraid to have to guy meet you at a motorcycle mechanic shop that is exactly what my buddy did. Just be patient when getting a bike since it isn't a necessity and you can find great deals just like buying anything else on crigslist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom