• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This article was published by Northwest Florida Daily News. Matt Gaetz, the open carry bill sponsor in the Florida Legislature, wrote this to convince Miguel Diaz De la Portilla, a Republican from Miami, to allow the open carry bill to be heard in the committee De la Portilla chairs.

Matt Gaetz is what a Constitution-minded politician looks like. This is why I hate when people rail against "politicians" as a singular entity and forget the few who are trying to do what's right. We look at politics in America and think automatically that it's a lost cause, but that isn't true. There is a chance that we can turn things around by electing and supporting true Constitutionalists. When you take a negative stance against "politicians" in general, you are wrongly putting this guy and other guys like him (Greg Evers for instance, who is sponsoring the Senate version of the bill) in that same negative category.

We absolutely DO have some politicians who are trying to do the right thing. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Let's find the right ones who are in and support them and elect more like them.

By REP. MATT GAETZ | Special to the Daily News
    Posted Feb. 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM

The organizing principle of my public service is Constitutional liberty. If government constrains itself to the Constitution, free markets, free enterprise and free people can thrive. Otherwise, we get catastrophic consequences like ObamaCare, lawless executive orders and a government that (often corruptly) picks winners and losers.

In a world of uncertainty, the Second Amendment to the Constitution is undeniably clear: The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Today, Florida is one of only five states infringing on the rights of citizens to "openly carry" handguns. That's right. Open carry is legal in various forms in 45 other states. Florida joins California, New York, Illinois and (oddly) South Carolina as the only states to totally prohibit open carry. Thirty states do not require a license, while 15 do.

Weeks ago the Florida House of Representatives passed a bill I authored allowing Floridians with concealed carry permits to openly carry in a holster. It was a bipartisan 80-36 vote. The bill was endorsed by the Florida Police Chief's Association, Unified Sportsmen of Florida and the National Rifle Association. The Florida Chamber of Commerce helped draft provisions to allow private property owners to prohibit open carry if they choose.

Then, the Senate Judiciary Chairman killed it. He refused to even allow a vote on open carry, likely because the bill would have passed. No one Senator should have the right to unilaterally block critical legislation from even having a vote - especially when constitutional rights are implicated.

There is no constitutional, statistical or rational basis to disallow open carry in Florida. According to the U.S. Department of Justice's own data, in open carry states you are:

23 percent less likely to be the victim of violent crime

5 percent less likely to be murdered

38 percent less likely to be the victim of armed robbery, and

23 percent less likely to be the victim of aggravated assault.

Open carry is not a utopian solution to violence. Many factors impact crime rates. But, reasonable people cannot disagree on the statistical fact that open carry does not increase violence.

I find it compelling that concealed carry permit holders are remarkably law-abiding. According to Florida Department of Law Enforcement crime data, permit holders are six times less likely to commit crimes than law enforcement officers.

If I am elected to serve in the Senate next year, I'll again file much needed open carry legislation. I'll also pursue changes to Florida Senate rules to allow for more transparent debate on the issues facing Florida.

Florida should be an open carry state. The Florida Senate should let the debate begin. I'm ready for it.

Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach, was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2010 and has been subsequently reelected three times. He is the immediate past Chairman of the Criminal Justice Subcommittee and currently chairs the Finance & Tax Committee.

P.S. Let's not turn this thread into a debate on OC. We already know who does and doesn't support relaxing the gun laws in Florida.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pretty cool he chooses to continue in the fight. Not sure I'd ever open carry personally, but man I'd sure like to be able to exercise my rights.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is why I hate when people rail against "politicians" as a singular entity and forget the few who are trying to do what's right.
    Indeed, I've heard it said that folks who advocate the "vote 'em all out and elect all new people" line of thinking will usually also say "except my congressman or senator, he/she is alright". But in this case it's true as I'm happy with my guys Matt Gaetz, Greg Evers and even Jeff Miller.

I also notice that it seems whenever there's any legislation protecting or expanding gun rights in Florida, lawmakers from the relatively small area of the Panhandle are usually in the thick of things authoring or sponsoring the bills. Be nice if some of the other Republican politicians in this big state could get with the program and help out a little more.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Indeed, I've heard it said that folks who advocate the "vote 'em all out and elect all new people" line of thinking will usually also say "except my congressman or senator, he/she is alright". But in this case it's true as I'm happy with my guys Matt Gaetz, Greg Evers and even Jeff Miller.

I also notice that it seems whenever there's any legislation protecting or expanding gun rights in Florida, lawmakers from the relatively small area of the Panhandle are usually in the thick of things authoring or sponsoring the bills. Be nice if some of the other Republican politicians in this big state could get with the program and help out a little more.

I am disgusted with them all, including miller...the republicans have lost their spines and the demoncrats have found it.....we have control of both houses, and the purse strings and we are failing to use the power

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am disgusted with them all, including miller...the republicans have lost their spines and the demoncrats have found it.....we have control of both houses, and the purse strings and we are failing to use the power

I'm not a fan of Miller either anymore. He's buddies with the establishment and when the going gets tough on Constitutional issues, he just sides with the majority of the Rs.

But Evers and Gaetz? They've been fighting the Constitutional fight for years now. They've both done a good job so far and I'm happy with them. There are a few politicians in the country I'm happy with for fighting for the Constitution even when it's not popular. Evers and Gaetz in Florida. Cruz, Mike Lee, Rand Paul (mostly), etc. There aren't many but we have to support the ones there are and get rid of the pieces of garbage like De la Portilla. He should be considered an enemy of Liberty and when the time comes, I hope the patriots remember his actions.

Top Bottom