• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stewart76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Why is it a Marlin mxlr was $799 brand new in 2007, and now there’s less than 5 for sale in the United States and they are asking over 2k for one??? And yes I know about the Remington buyout

srbimmi

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    D4 has these for 1399 but I agree prices went up like crazy. Gun ownership was much cheaper just 5 years ago but so was everything else.
    Looks like they sold out too.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Marlins started going bad in the end, and tanked under Remington. IIRC, the MXLR was also discontinued about that time; no idea if they'll ever come back. 'JM' (original Marlin proof mark) Marlins made prior to about 2008-10 are highly desirable among Marlin junkies, even better if you find older models without the cross-bolt safety, and that desire drives the price up.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Look at what's happening to the prices of H&R/NEF single shot guns! Think back to $75 SKS & $100 Mosins, $100 a case surplus 7.62x51. And don't get me started on K31s...

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Yeah I’ve seen crazy prices of $500+ on the Handi Rifles online. I’ve got 5 of them and like them all. I’ve got one handi rifle chambered in 7x57 Mauser that I was told would be quite scarce.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I reckon Marlins are also a pretty pricey piece to manufacture. In order to get manufacturing prices down, you make a whole buttload of them. I don't think the demand with modern shooters is there to justify making a buttload, so they have to make smaller batches that cost a lot more per unit.

Edit: I think that's how Henry's stay comparatively cheap. Their design isn't overly complex and they sell like crazy. Henry can make a whole ton and be confident they'll sell, so they can keep the manufacturing price down per unit.

Top Bottom