• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rzrbck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mom just took her Concealed Weapons class in Arkansas. She has never like guns. Dad passed away a few months ago and now she is by herself. She was looking at a 380 bodygaurd, but I havent seen very good reviews on that. Any suggestions on what she needs to look at?

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    A revolver. You will likely never discharge one accidentally, don't require good form and grip to function, don't require strong hand to rack or load. Best weapon for anyone new to guns.

S&W makes a 38 bodyguard too..

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    500smith for a carry gun...
    AOW a 10ga dbl bbl and carry that under her sweater on a leather "whip it loop" 00 buck of course
    For a rifle get her a .338 lapua custom made handi rifle....

She should be good with this...

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You can never go wrong with a simple .38 revolver. If she knows how to handle an auto then a Glock, XD, M&P, or any other striker fired gun in 9mm is also simple. The only thing I suggest is that anyone going to carry an auto knows how to handle various failures like FTF or FTE. Carrying a gun is not only about knowing how to make it go bang, but also how to fix it when it dont go bang.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    every woman i have EVER let shoot a small semi auto has hated them

lcp
    pf9
    bodyguard 380

they just pop too much for most ladies, most ladies i know for defense cant run their gun well enough to make it useful, end up selling a getting a full weight revolver (ultralights "kick" hard to them i guess)

my mom wont shoot anything well besides a Ruger SR22

for defense, novices usually end up buying twice to get the right one, its just not as simple as buying it, taking to the range once and stowing it away, since they are very hard to get hits accurately and limited in capacity

id go out to blackwater tactical and have her take a class, she can shoot 20+ ccw guns and figure out which is the one

iwillnotbeavictim.com

Last edited:

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    500smith for a carry gun...
    AOW a 10ga dbl bbl and carry that under her sweater on a leather "whip it loop" 00 buck of course
    For a rifle get her a .338 lapua custom made handi rifle....

She should be good with this...

x2. If the 500 is out of stock, .50ae de should suffice.

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only way to be sure she will carry a firearm is to find one she will actually carry. If the firearm she buys is too heavy, uncomfortable or any other excuse she finds, she will leave it at home. I suggest letting her handle and fire a variety until she finds one SHE likes. I would suggest a revolver as they are simple, reliable and easy to use. From my experience, females (especially elder) sometimes have a hard time racking the slide on semi autos and are less intimidated by revolvers. My rule of thumb for elder females... small, black revolver.
    Small = One she can comfortably fire
    Black = You don't want perp to see the firearm - only muzzle blast
    Revolver = Reliable, easy to use etc.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My wife has carried a sig 232 for years til i made her start carrying a glock 23.my mom carries a model 19 combat magnum loaded with .38+p. oldest sister carries a glock 23 as well, my youngest sister carries a colt 80 series .45... The small frame keltecs, diamond backs,lcp's, tcp, sig 238's suck they are all like holding a firecracker in your hand when they go off. You can't go wrong with an old metal frame gun sig 232 series, walther ppk/s style with some metal but not to heavy.....

The fastest way to ruin a women carrying a gun is recoil... Start them with a .22 and they will never want anything bigger, start them with a cannon and they will never carry a gun again... Got to blow a little smoke with a metal frame .38 and they will be fine..... A Taurus metal frame .38 is a great starter gun for women as is a kimber solo later model.... That's my observation anyway.....

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I TOTALLY agree with Steves statement. I have had plenty of bigger guns but never carried them full time because they were just that BIGGER GUNS. The guns that we prefer to fight with are more often than not left behind in the car or at home because they were just too bulky to carry on a day in day out basis. I just bought my wife the Ruger LCP .380 and it will fit ANYWHERE and no one is the wiser and you never even know it is there. With the propper self deffense rounds a .380 is plenty of gun, keep in mind more often than not real life or death situations occur all within 10 feet and usually less than two rounds are fired during that time. The LCP carries 7 rounds. Just my .02 worth.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    every woman i have EVER let shoot a small semi auto has hated them

You have not met my wife. She does not like revolvers. She says they just don't feel good in her hand. Give her an LC9, PPS, Shield, etc... and she likes em.

yingzhaoquan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take her to a gun store or gun range and let her see what is comfortable for her to hold and use. If its a revolver then great, but she may not like them. My mother loves revolvers, but my wife loves 1911s in 45. You gotta see what she likes and what she can handle. The new semi autos from ruger are well loved by women of all ages. Even guys like them. Really is no recomending a specific gun for someone unless you know what they like.

Rzrbck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I will suggest the revolver to her and go from there. Hopefully she will come down here (P-Cola) around cobia season and I can take her to the range to try a few out. Sucks not being at home to help :-(

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    +1 on the S&W Bodyguard or a Ruger LCR in 38 special. Start her off shooting cowboy loads and never let her practice with defensive ammo. If she ever has to use it for self defense she will never realize the difference.

Idoono

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The fastest way to ruin a women carrying a gun is recoil... Start them with a .22 and they will never want anything bigger,

Gotta agree here. Started my wife on .22 and she has a mental block for larger calibers. She shoots them fine but when I lay everything out on the tailgate she just shoots the S&W .22A and the 15/22 rifle.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two inch .38 Spl Revolver. Recommend hammerless/DAO, so she does not cock it and later need to drop the hammer. This will reduce snag potential. Also no bulky adj. sights.

Find on that fits her hand not one.

Top Bottom