Patriot Mobile

Just wondering how many deer hunt with the old boring .308??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    when i used to hunt regularly, it was .243 or 12ga slugs for me.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    308 has always been my favorite, every rifle I ever bought for deer was the 308. My favorite for years was my Steyr Scout, killed many a deer with it. Now my favorite is my Sig Cross that I shoot suppressed. If you have never heard a 308 suppressed ( subsonic ammo) you might be impressed. Plenty of kill power also.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    .308 is my choice. ammo is very plentiful and relatively inexpensive. there may be other, new, rounds that have a bit more going for them,, but that doesnt diminish the .308's time-proven abilities.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I’ve killed deer with many calibers but never a 308 because I’ve never owned one, used to have a 7mm-08 rifle that I killed a nice buck with once but a friend traded me out of it. Still got a 7mm-08 pistol I hunt with occasionally. Those that aren’t too savvy on the cartridge is a 308 necked down to 7mm. I believe I’d choose 308 over the 7mm-08 in the future if I were to buy another rifle because I don’t reload and 308 ammo is much easier to find on the shelves of most stores. Lots of folks I’ve hunted with over the years favor the 308.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m a 308 fan, I tried the 6.5 creedmoor to see if it would be more accurate for me , it wasn’t. About half to three quarters of an inch at a hundred yards was the best I could do off a bench with a rest . The manhood enlarging creedmoor didn’t do any better for me, so I’m likely the weak link in my group size abilities. My only gripe is recoil ,my hunting rifle weighs slightly less than seven pounds loaded and the recoil is a little rough shooting off a bench . I never seem to notice it while actually hunting however.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Glad to see we're not old bitter holdouts. Zapped one today with the hornady black 168 amax. If you haven't tried these you need to. 3-3 DRT not one step. 2 high shoulder, one neck. 7, 8, and doe. This season. Can be had online for $24 a box. $33 in store. Acadamy. Actually that's not a doe, the 308 has so much power it blew the horns off!
    20240210_174542.jpg
    20240204_173918.jpg
    20240122_173710.jpg

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Glad to see we're not old bitter holdouts. Zapped one today with the hornady black 168 amax. If you haven't tried these you need to. 3-3 DRT not one step. 2 high shoulder, one neck. 7, 8, and doe. This season. Can be had online for $24 a box. $33 in store. Acadamy. Actually that's not a doe, the 308 has so much power it blew the horns off! View attachment 270314 View attachment 270315 View attachment 270316
    i am actually trying to decide on a round for my AR10 and my new leupold scope. it has a cds on it and i can send the info with what round i use to get a custom turret made. have to pick a round. going back to the range this week or next to do just that. i was at academy yesterday but didnt see that ammo. the .308 pickins were slim.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    i am actually trying to decide on a round for my AR10 and my new leupold scope. it has a cds on it and i can send the info with what round i use to get a custom turret made. have to pick a round. going back to the range this week or next to do just that. i was at academy yesterday but didnt see that ammo. the .308 pickins were slim.

Hard to go wrong with a 150 grain bullet in a 308.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The Black is made specifically for DI guns. Worth trying at some point. ** my winchester XPR is 1:12 T. don't know if that matters or not.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The Black is made specifically for DI guns. Worth trying at some point. ** my winchester XPR is 1:12 T. don't know if that matters or not.
    before i got the new scope i was finding that regular old hornady american whitetail was shooting just as good if not better than several expensive fancy rounds i was trying out. i will take it to the range this week and try again.

Top Bottom