• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What was that diner you took me to, Sean? That place had the best EVERYTHING! Even Laurie loved it and she's about as picky as she can be.

Wayne's Diner. Its pretty good. I took you there because it was close to the gun show. I say that because if we had had time we would have gone somewhere better. I normally get the liver and onions there. I also like their spaghetti because I like really thick sweet sauce. Not real Italianish but its good. The veggies suck and that's their specialty. All taste canned to me. You and I had mullet that day. Its OK there but down the list locally for my favorite fish. Momma and I eat there a couple of times a month because its close to the house.

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wayne's seems to be hit or miss lately, but I like the liver and onions too. We REALLY need a good home style restaurant in the 9 mile road area. I think a "Hopkins House" style place would go over good here?? Is that place still open?

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wayne's seems to be hit or miss lately, but I like the liver and onions too. We REALLY need a good home style restaurant in the 9 mile road area. I think a "Hopkins House" style place would go over good here?? Is that place still open?

Hopkins is long gone. It was some good eating back in the day.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After watching some of the shows on the cooking channel, I get the urge to try some new cool cusine. We do not have alot to choose from here in this area other that fast food joints that I can think of. Watching Guy's Diners Drive ins and Dives, they come across some really cool eats, and delicious looking items. Does anyone have any spots that serves some good food items, or interesting menu choices?
    Please post up some ideas to get us away from fast food places.

Here are a couple I have stumbled across and would recomend:
    #1 Garrets Old Burger place on Michigan Ave area just up from mobile hwy, Great Mullet on Fridays and good sandwiches
    #2 Goat Lips Deli on Eli Rd entrance to Ellison off Davis Good Gyro's and sandwich choices

will add as I can think of more
    Thanks in advance.:hungry:

If your looking to get your monies worth of great food I like the Hip Pocket or Side Pocket, can't remember exactly but it's off Barrancas. Awesome food and lots of it.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Article in todays paper says Hip Pocket Deli is being forced to close due to state taking the property thru Emanate Domain for road work.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hopkin's Boarding House was,at one time,owned by my cousin. If I had to guess I would say during the 1962-1964 timeframe. It was great food and served in the TRUE boarding house style. Huge bowls of mash potatoes,collard greens,fried chicken,stuffing,etc.etc. Everything was (of course) homemade. The deserts were mostly pies and/or cookies and cakes or peach cobbler.

I remember that the huge bowls were passed up and down the table that held about 12 people or so. We would go on Sundays and the place would have about 6 different seatings. All the cooks were older,350lb black ladies. That is probably why the food was so darned great.

My cousin was involved in a extremely bad car wreck and went thru a divorce shortly afterward and Hopkin's was sold. It continued to operate for some years after that period of time IIRC.

I remember that this was a place where the old sayin' ..."children should be seen and not heard" was strictly in effect. Adults talked and the kids quietly whispered to their parents if they wanted some more food. That's it ... nothing else. Damn ... wish there was a place like that today. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in the Scenic Heights area. When Hopkins expanded and opened Blanche's at 9th Ave. I found my second home. I was raised by a single dad so he would go buy me meal tickets with punch out spots for 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and the same dinners. I would ride my bike up there and absolutely pig out. Even in high school I would occasionally sneaK off campus and drive there for lunch.

My best memories are of their fried chicken, carrot salad, very rare roast beef and something I can't even come close to duplicating, their amazing fried eggplant. Paper thin and fried to perfection.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I might have to close up and go home early, just got some nice jumbo shrimp from a customer. Think i'll throw on the grill tonight. yuummmm.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Your killin' me. The ONLY way shrimp should be eaten is thrown(whole) into agressively boiling water with some Rex's Crab and Shrimp Boil. Allowed to stay for 2 minutes then emersed in cold water to stop them from cooking. (and makes them easier to peel)

Throw them out on a sheet of paper ..... rollup your sleeves ..... and get to it. ---- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had to go to the Navy Blvd area today and keep thinking about someplace different to eat. Couldn't think of anywhere and ended up at Hong Kong which was good, not great. As soon as I walked out I thought "Crap! I should have hit Charlie's, haven't been there in years." Anyone been lately?

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Charlie Sheen's ?? I went there for lunch one day and didn't leave for a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell, I would hang with that Charlie.

For anyone that doesn't know Charlie's is on the street running North across from Joe Patti's and about a block up. Used to have great food, kind of a small buffet place. Ate there a lot and was never disappointed.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After watching some of the shows on the cooking channel, I get the urge to try some new cool cusine. We do not have alot to choose from here in this area other that fast food joints that I can think of. Watching Guy's Diners Drive ins and Dives, they come across some really cool eats, and delicious looking items. Does anyone have any spots that serves some good food items, or interesting menu choices?
    Please post up some ideas to get us away from fast food places.

Here are a couple I have stumbled across and would recomend:
    #1 Garrets Old Burger place on Michigan Ave area just up from mobile hwy, Great Mullet on Fridays and good sandwiches
    #2 Goat Lips Deli on Eli Rd entrance to Ellison off Davis Good Gyro's and sandwich choices

will add as I can think of more
    Thanks in advance.:hungry:

Goat Lips is a great place. Wife and I have been there a few time. Love it...

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, It is a nice laid back , restaurant/bar/hangout type, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Try the gyro!

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, It is on copter road, the entrance to ellison field, right off davis, near 9 mile

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't know if its been talked about but the place the replaced Garretts burger, Fish n Phils, is not good at all.
    Wife and I went last night and got the AYE mullet. Everything seemed like it was out of a can or store bought. There was nothing special that I couldn't do at home, except not washing dishes.
    Even at home I try to dress up stuff out of a can. This place did nothing to anything.
    Sad to say we won't be back.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And Sean, I love Charlie's. The short stint I did no days, I do go once a week. Great food, cheap, and easy to get in eat and run.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned but Hot Spot BBQ at 9th and LaRua is great. I go there weekly.

Top Bottom