• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know if I posted this in the right place or not so if it's not I'm sorry and you can move it.

I have a AR that I still have a stock plastic rail/fore-grip and I have been wanting to get a new one. My buddy that helped me build the riffle told me he wouldn't get a free-floating rail, It's a Delton 16" M4 Carbine upper. I was told to get a carbine length M4 rail. Can anyone explain the difference between a free floating rail and non-free floating? Do any of you AR Guys have any recommendations of a good quality rail that won't break the bank? I just want a good solid rail that I can mount attachments to if I want for right now, I have most of the parts to build another one so when that time comes I will put this rail on that one and but a nicer rail to replace it. Funds are a little tight right now so that is the reason for a cheaper rail right now.
    Thank You all in advance.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If all you need is more rail space, slap on an FSP rail and call it a day. Troy makes a good, affordable one.
    Free float yields better "theoretical" accuracy, but you'll never see the difference. It also forces you to buy a front sight, when your rifle has a good fixed one, already built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Second what Dan said. Free floaters offer more "variety" for your rifle. Cheaper ones would be UTG "pro" stuff or Midwest industries.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You also end up with an improperly torqued barrel, unless you have the right tools.
    As well as an improperly installed low profile gas block, unless you're willing to at least dimple barrel if not also thread lock the set screws.
    JMO YMMV...

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Second what Dan said. Free floaters offer more "variety" for your rifle. Cheaper ones would be UTG "pro" stuff or Midwest industries.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

For a drop-in railed handguard, Midwest Industries is probably one of the better choices. They offer a variety. You can get a Gen2 series, M-LOK series, SS Series, or Keymod series.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=64

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1299

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1030

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1204

These will allow for a wide assortment of accessories to be used based on the rail system you choose.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    As far as drop-ins, MI is good to go, just don't mount anything that needs to hold zero, like a laser or optic since they do wiggle a bit.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473525086.921577.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473525086.921577.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473525086.921577.jpg
      28.1 KB · Views: 282
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    As far as drop-ins, MI is good to go, just don't mount anything that needs to hold zero, like a laser or optic since they do wiggle a bit.
    View attachment 47320

Correct. It is never a good idea to mount any sort of optic to a handguard whether a drop-in or free-float. Things like aiming lasers (if you have the need to have one), vertical grips, and weaponlights are fine.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the info, Dan are you the guy that lives in G.Breeze like deep almost to the zoo? I used to detail your boat every year until I couldn't do it anymore? We became pretty good friends if this is you and you showed me some badddda****** riffle's.

My buddy that pretty much got me started and built my first riffle teaching me how to I am going to try to get him to help me install it when I order one. If for some reason he can't, he's going through Leo academy in Tallahassee till Nov.-Dec. Would someone be willing to give a hand and show me how it's done?

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't live in GB, never have, and unfortunately, I have to detail my own boat.
    Anyhow, if you order an MI handguard, installation is tool-less and takes 15 seconds. YouTube is always of great help, or I'm sure myself or many guys on here would be happy to pop it into the delta ring for you.

Top Bottom