How do your friends, family and coworkers feel about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm just trying to gauge how the gun culture in America is progressing and/or declining around here. My dad recently went to the FWB office to apply for his CWP and I had told him he could probably get an appointment the next day, which is how it was a couple years ago for me. I called to make an appointment, and my appointment was the next day. I was in and out in twenty minutes, no one else there. But now? No. My dad's appointment was three weeks later because so many people we getting their permits. Awesome!

My dad will have his for Florida, I've got mine for Florida and Texas, my two sisters husbands both have their Florida permits, and that covers all the heads of households for my group.

My coworkers? I have one female coworker who I will be teaching to shoot soon. Another who recently got his US citizenship (formerly Brazil) who I've already talked into a Maverick 88 and who loves the Glock 19 enough he's buying one soon. I have two liberal coworkers (one is British) who want to go shooting, another eight female coworkers who's husbands are dedicated concealed carriers, a coworker who is looking to purchase either an AR or a Tavor and a supervisor who I suspect has a nice collection of guns in her home. And these are all nurses and techs, and that's just the ones I know for sure. As far as straight up anti-gun people, I can't really put my finger on any I work with. A few liberals but none of them have any truly hard-held anti-gun views.

I routinely run into patients who are pro-gun, far more often than I run into anyone I can easily identify as being anti-gun. Thanks to my previous military training, I've become adept at guiding conversations to ascertain political and philosophical leanings. Even still, I much more frequently discover a pro-gun patient than the opposite.

Aside from all that anecdotal evidence, I also look at the trends in the NICS checks and ownership rates and all that. I see this country as becoming staunchly more pro-2A than it was just a couple of years ago. I am finding it harder and harder to bait the few known anti-gun people around me into debates. I observe less willingness to fight that fight it seems.

Yes, there are still many of the anti-gunners out there in the country and in our communities and they'll of course never stop fighting, but the flow of the 2A seems to be meeting with less resistance now than it has in quite a while.

Those are my personal observations. What say you?

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dont ask, dont care. Im not a Chatty Cathy about my personal shit. No ones business that I carry/own a gun but my own and my family , cause that's all that matters

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My big sister and Granny taught me firearms safety using a 22 revolver and my sister bought me and my brother our first gun's when we were little kids the guns came when my brother turned 13 and I was almost 12. Still have that old Stevens 410 bolt action but the magazine went missing in action years ago and I inherited Granny's H&R 9 shot 22LR revolver as my brother was killed in a car wreck 22 days after his 19th birthday. Big Sis is a retired LPN who carries a 38Spl. snubby that her deceased husband bought her. Pretty much all the guys in the family own at least one if not more and are 2nd Amendment supporters. Lot's of LEO's and military both active and retired in the family.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I only work with about 10 people, and only one is male. He's thinking about getting a firearm this year, hasn't brought it up aside from mentioning it once. However, two of the women are actively searching(I believe one bought hers this weekend) and both want to get thier permit. Another lady unwired with had a permit. There's only one I know that is against firearms(which is odd, she's one of the toughest/strongest women I've met) and another I have worked with probably is. Most are indifferent.

Now, I encounter countless "customers", and about once a day someone either asks me about mine, wants to show me thier new pistol, or tells me i should carry a glock. About once a week someone will express how they think plastic guns or machine guns shouldn't be available for safety reasons. And I spot 2-3 concealed pieces a week(shockingly enough, mostly snubs and micro 9's. I've been able to id a shield before through a guys loose t shirt.) I go ahead and assume dudes in Costas with yeti stickers have at least a truck gun, same with the 5.11 pants and side zip boots. That's another 4 a day.

Of course, this is northwest florida. Most locals grew up around hunting and fishing, there's a boatload of navy/airforxe retires and permanent station, and molle and fde is cooler now than camo has ever been. Firearms are trendy now, thanks to Isis/gwot/walking dead and rumors of economic collapse. Time will tell if it'll stay hip or not.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a lot of it is a regional mindset. I know very few people that are anti gun and I turned at least two of them around. I have one daughter that's anti gun but she still prefers the thug life so she's looked at the issue from the wrong perspective and I agree: I don't think she or anyone she associates with should have a firearm. Idiots, low IQ morons across the board.

Down in this area it's probably hard to find an anti type if they are actually from here. If you were raised in the big cities, especially places like NYC, you probably didn't have any experiences growing up so the concept is foreign.

On that note, I know several LEGAL immigrants from various countries and to a person they are pro 2A. I guess when you grew up in shit like they did then you value and appreciate the freedoms here, and maybe even more than a native they despise seeing this country head the direction they escaped from.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My immediate family is pro-gun, we all grew up in SE Minnesota out in the country, guns were a normal part of life growing up. I'm making sure both my boys grow up pro-gun and trust me it didn't take much convincing!

As far as work goes I work closely with 5 others in my cubicle row & they are all pro-gun. I also know of a lot of other pro-gun employees in other departments, haven't met anyone yet that was straight up anti-gun.

BigC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everyone I work with with the exception of one has their ccp. So the 2a is healthy here!

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of my friends and acquaintances are pro 2A. I know a few that may not like guns per se, but they don't seem anti. I see more and more talk about training or purchasing. Some follow thru. Others wait for whatever reason; time, money etc. Overall, acceptance levels are positive. I always offer to take those who are unsure to the range. One stated "I think I found a new favorite hobby". Good news.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    PM sent regarding a translation request for your ex-Brazilian co-worker.

Thank you,

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was under the impression that everybody in this town carried or had access to firearms especially the criminals. I can only think of one 50yr old person who said he never bought or owned a firearm but he has admitted to shooting with friends in the past and currently owns a bb rifle for squirrels.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2A is pretty healthy in the department I work in. Plenty of people are either married to 2A supporters, carry a firearm, or talk to me at work about guns because I have magazines, mouse pad, screen savers of the 2A, guns etc. And I have converted some very strong anti gun liberals into pro 2A advocates that now see the light...... Won't gain any ground if you don't conversate to the people that believe everything they see.... T

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol

Dont ask, dont care. Im not a Chatty Cathy about my personal shit. No ones business that I carry/own a gun but my own and my family , cause that's all that matters

says the guy on a gun forum to talk about guns lol. Plus post even say "Family" so lets here about how your "my own and my family" feel ????????????????????? Ole Chatty Fupagunt Cathy

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know a few disinterested people but not any anti types...even some of my more liberal aquaintences and family are not anti.

Top Bottom