• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking for someone who can help me with home security on a home I am considering building. I hope to locate a it back in the woods and think I need something better then just your basic home security system. Thinking about adding cameras and cell notification and anything else that would deter tresspasers and theft. Anyone in the northwest Florida area use a local company or know of a "consultant" who can help me? I have done some research and I am sure I can eventually put something together for myself but you never know what you might find on this forum :) Thanks!!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Take a look at FrontPoint. http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/ I have been very pleased with my system.

Their systems can be customized to whatever you want and offer lots of options. The only downside is that you have to install all the equipment yourself, but everything I've used has been very simple.

You can control everything with an app and get email or text notifications as well. It also uses wireless technology, so you don't have to have a land line.

BeanBry

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Install your own cameras, set up a DVR with a battery backup. Swann makes a good camera system, it will send (email) you a pic when activated or record for about 30 days on DVR before overwriting itself. Battery backups are inexpensive (bigger the better). Swann had an app that allows me to check in on all cameras. All can be done under 1k, setup is moderately easy, install depends on how you want it. No monthly charge either.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a tech manager for a local home security dealer here in Daphne, we do pretty much what every other security company does (alarm systems, home automation, cctv). We have just recently got into the cctv stuff so I am still relatively new to that, we used IP cameras for many years and still use them for indoors but we have stopped using them outdoors for reliability reasons. Let me know if you have any questions

steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I felt cameras were important since catching the guy is just as important as scaring them off. Since the property is well off the beaten path the siren may not run them off before they can do some serious damage to me.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Other considerations -
    Install hurricane windows - virtually bulletproof with good quality locks

Doors - put in substantial frames to attach the door to - use long screws for the door frame and for the dead bolts. Consider double cylinder dead bolts - when locked, need a key to open from either side. And of course metal or solid wood doors for all exterior doors.

Shrubs - only shrubs near the house should be thorny ones like roses or holly. Other shrubs should not be tall (provides hiding places)

Safe room - with solid door and dead bolt lock, plus large window or door to the outside in case of house invasion.

Back up power generation system

Motion sensor external lights

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you are going to use cameras with a DVR make sure the DVR is secured in a safe room or somewhere else that is locked. Also set up an account with Alarm.com. They will send you an email whenever the alarm is activated or deactivated. Also when the system reports a loss of power. You can use Harris Security for monitoring if you travel to areas where you have no cell phone reception.

Idoono

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Subscribed. Interested in this myself and ready to go the nextnlevel on cameras and cell phone interface.

I have a monitored system right now but wanting to get off that.

In the meantime Ill add that motion sensor lighting I believe has saved me a couple of times. I have a total of 12 motion sensor lights around my house. You can't walk up on it from any direction without getting lit. A gang went down my street a couple of weekends ago and went through unlocked vehicles and rummaged in truck beds. My vehicles were locked but I left a bunch of expensive tools in the bed of my truck. Nothing was touched.

Also, I've had amazing luck with those Harbor Freight driveway alarms. I have them down the driveway plus placed at various spots around my yard and shop. Once they're adjusted for best covearge anyone walking around either building sets off the alarms.

steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, any experience with a particular brand of solar light? I haven't had much luck with the standard landscaping stuff.mi guess I should have posted this in the off topic forum but thanks for all the ideas.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, any experience with a particular brand of solar light? I haven't had much luck with the standard landscaping stuff.mi guess I should have posted this in the off topic forum but thanks for all the ideas.

This is what many use on our lease, including Frank (I believe) as he told me about them. I put them up around the house too and they are great, cheap and easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052SF0LO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405778991&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

pumera6u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're looking to have someone do this for you instead of a DIY solution, I would definitely suggest Panhandle Alarm and Telephone. Call Jeremy Caine over there, he is my sales guy and Panhandle installed my alarm with cellular connection and monitors my house, our shop and did our phone system here at the shop as well... Top notch folks.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have experience with the FLIR CCTV systems. I currently have 2 systems running on local businesses.
    We have had some incidents - and here is what you need to know about video systems:
    They will NOT be good enough to identify the PERP ....unless you get someone that KNOWS the person in the video. Even then....it can be questionable. The resolution on most systems just isnt enough to get good clear features. Forget about getting a tag# ....unless the vehicle backs up within a few feet of the camera...at the cameras level.
    There are new systems that can capture much higher resolution....but If you have to ask how much they cost.......
    The camera systems also eat up a LOT of bandwidth while being viewed remotely. ...so it will probably look even worse- and slow - while viewed on your mobile device.
    Lastly....the component costs add up quick ( cameras, wires, power supplies, DVR's, Network switches, ect....) ...and they are prone to damage by power surges and lightning strikes. Even when on battery backups....they still seem to get hit. Its just too easy for static electricity to find a way into that spiderweb of wires....and zap.....there went another $800.
    The good part of cameras: They are always there, and can verify that all is well when checked remotely.
    They also let you know exactly WHEN an event happened....and a record of what happened.
    The point: I love and hate the camera systems equally. Know that it isnt a one time installation, one time cost....but will continue to cost you. Make sure its worth it....and that you dont buy more than you need.
    The easiest and cheapest fix: an IP camera from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/TENVIS-JPT381...UTF8&qid=1406246363&sr=8-6&keywords=IP+camera
    ....and some game cameras placed around the property. They will probably get a much higher resolution pic of a vehicle or intruder....maybe even good enough to make an ID.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your ever interested Garpo shoot me a text and I'd be more then happy to come check out your property and let you know what my company could do for you or give you some advice on what equipment you'd need.

Top Bottom