• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About 3 days ago, I started noticing we are getting a power surge to our house. It was in increments of one min and then three mins, then one minute and three minute. The lights would surge one time quickly in these intervals, getting brighter and then returning to normal. Now the surge is not super extreme but it is noticeable. I looked up online that it could be power grid, storms, or faulty wiring in the house. House is from the late 60’s and has not had any electrical work or changes in years. Also, when I start the clothes washer, the lights surge constantly like a weak strobe. Does not do it when the dryer is on. I don’t know what is going on. I reset all the breakers and the main house breaker and nothing changed. Any ideas?

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is you HVAC coming on when this happens or any other large load like a water heater?

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Water heater is gas. HVAC coming on does cause a blink but not the constant strobe the washer does and the one to three minute surges still happen when hvac is on or off.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you're on Gulf Powers(FPL) system, give them a call. Once you reach a customer service rep or even the auto system, let them know your power is flickering, you have reset breakers and checked your side. They may ask a few questions to try to handle over the phone but you want a service tech to come out and check their side. It's free and may save you the hassle and payment of an electrician, especially on the weekend.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    One thing to check is the breaker connection. Is it just a certain areas or the entire house?
    If it's the entire house check the main breaker. It could be worn on the backside where it locks in the meter box. Obviously don't put your fingers where they shouldn't be or if you aren't comfortable looking don't. Could be many things but this is the place I would start.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing to check is the breaker connection. Is it just a certain areas or the entire house?
    If it's the entire house check the main breaker. It could be worn on the backside where it locks in the meter box. Obviously don't put your fingers where they shouldn't be or if you aren't comfortable looking don't. Could be many things but this is the place I would
    I reset all the breakers and the main breaker already. It is happening only on certain breakers and not others which is weird. It even skips breakers that are on the same side. I may take off the breaker box and check the connections tomorrow and see if there’s anything obvious. I’m not an electrician but I am handy and feel I could at least do that and check it visually. If I can’t find anything I’m going to call fpl and see if they can send a tech to check their end and go from there.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Could be a loose wire in your panel; breaker connection, or neutral. Or worse it could be where the breaker makes contact with the power buss bar, corrosion. You could, carefully, remove the cover and observe, looking for an arc to pinpoint, it helps if the room it's in is dark. I have a bad spot where it had been arcing, I just abandoned that breaker for now. I'm planning on changing/upgrading my electric to include a transfer switch for a generator, to include isolating ground from neutrals.
    If you're not comfortable with electrical work, hire an electrician. Or ask a friend or neighbor that is.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a similar problem in a house built in 62. Ended up being one of the lugs arcing and burning out in the meter box. Cost about $1200 three years ago

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Earlier in the conversation, I was mostly referring to the ground connection going to "ground", outside, in the dirt. I have had a few problems, over the years, with loose rod clamps and damaged ground wires.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im no electrician but i found it odd that we are told not to use aluminum. Guess what the meter plugged into? Aluminum. And the new one used aluminum also.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Could be a loose wire in your panel; breaker connection, or neutral. Or worse it could be where the breaker makes contact with the power buss bar, corrosion. You could, carefully, remove the cover and observe, looking for an arc to pinpoint, it helps if the room it's in is dark. I have a bad spot where it had been arcing, I just abandoned that breaker for now. I'm planning on changing/upgrading my electric to include a transfer switch for a generator, to include isolating ground from neutrals.
    If you're not comfortable with electrical work, hire an electrician. Or ask a friend or neighbor that is.
    This is exactly what I was trying to get across. Good explanation. The backside of the breaker will "burn out" You can flip them on and off and that won't tell you a thing. Any loose connection will give you trouble.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Im no electrician but i found it odd that we are told not to use aluminum. Guess what the meter plugged into? Aluminum. And the new one used aluminum also.
    The wire coming into the panel is different than what was ran into the walls in older homes. The wire per say really isn't the issue. It's where it terminates. Connection points at wire nuts, outlets, switches, etc become loose over time and build heat. Can 100% start a fire and has.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm sure you're a competent guy and can figure stuff out but I'd hate for you to break something trying to investigate an old breaker panel. I'd call to have a lineman come check the FPL side. We look at these things hundreds of times and it may be something on our side.

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm sure you're a competent guy and can figure stuff out but I'd hate for you to break something trying to investigate an old breaker panel. I'd call to have a lineman come check the FPL side. We look at these things hundreds of times and it may be something on our side.
    This is what you need to do sometimes things just need to be tightened the power company will remove the meter you can then safely look at your connections . Maybe as simple as tightening a few connections.

Top Bottom