• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yosemite Sam

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Weaver Tactical. I think you should consider it. For what you are looking for it would be a good fit. Never had a problem with it and the glass was good stuff.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think y'll are missing what I have going. I currently OWN many nice scopes under 15x zoom. Im not interested in any advice on with under 18x Max zoom scopes and that don't go below 5x or lower zoom. I Also don't currently needs caliber advise. (PM's) Just personal hands on scope knowledge. Sorry if this comes off rude but I keep getting every thing but what I have clearly stated I'm looking for.

I sit behind a computer for work 10hours a day. Most research that can be done has been. I need ur real life opinion ONLY on things with in my SPECIFIC parameters.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have Kahles and it works for me for the money, it helps to buy used. Any scope with a lifetime warrenty that is transferable is a safe bet.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know that's not much help with the OP but, it from the shooting house window you can see out of Kahles after the VX3 scope and Nikon binoculars cannot see. That was a side by side comparisons at the same time at dusk.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just looked up Kahles and found nothing in my wide zoom parameters. So again back to no help. Thanks for trying.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use both Nikon and Leupold scopes. While both are nice scopes I believe the Leupold is just a touch better. As has been said before, "Can't go wrong with Nikon" but if you have the coin go with a Leupold.

Idoono

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Check out SWFA . They have an optics forum & the Samplelist where one can find trade-ins , salesman samples , discontinued models @ a significant discount . The Euro scopes with Schott glass have the best optics , next up would be the Japanese . Leupold has one of the best warranty departments , but IMHO not the best optics . A scope that's fine for daylight paper punching & one that's got low light & long range performance are 2 entirely different animals .

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Go with the nightforce. I promise you will NOT be disappointed. Glass crystal clear. Turrets are the best positive clicking turrets Ive ever used In my lifetime. Tracking Is dead on. Theres a reason why the military Is swapping out their current scopes to nightforces now. Best of all has a lifetime warranty just like vortex, difference is you will never need to use it.

Buy once, cry once......

Doc

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can't speak for Nightforce as I've never used one . Following scopes I've actually used & I'll start with lower priced & go up .
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 - probably the best value for under $ 600 that fits your requirements . Not the best glass but mechanically sound . Street price around $ 470 .
    Sightiron S3 6-24X50 . Decent glass good mechanics . Street price around $ 850 .
    Sightiron S3 8-32X50 . Ditto the above . Price around $ 900
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 . Decent glass & mechanics . Very tough . Street price around $ 950
    Minoz ZA 5-30 or 6-30X56 . Better glass than the above . Right around $ 1,000
    Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 . Even better glass . Tough . Street around $ 1,700
    IOR Valada 6-24X56 . Euro quality glass . Street around $ 1,950
    Zeiss Victory 6-24X56 . Very good glass . Excellent low light . Street around $ 2,000 to 2,300 depending on options
    March 5-32X52 . Damn good but closer to $ 3K .
    Hensoldt , Schmidt & Bender , Swarovski are top of the line but all in your power range are $ 3K plus .

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have no experience with these type scopes but most of my hunting scopes are Leupold and I like them a lot.
    And the company does stand behind their products.
    Can you keep a scope steady at 20x?

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no experience with these type scopes but most of my hunting scopes are Leupold and I like them a lot.
    And the company does stand behind their products.
    Can you keep a scope steady at 20x?

I hold steady the 27x zoom on my 50BMG just fine. So to answer your question YES!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi Stanley

IMHO "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" applies to answers your looking for. Without bias I think scope A is the clearest with the sharpest contrast. My eyes may be better or worse then yours. When I test scopes in a store I preposition two identical boxes with varing size print at the furthest point with line of sight from the counter (one in the light and the other recessed in the shadows under a shelf). See what you can or can't see. All things being equal or unknow on how clear they will be for your application, I would prioritize by 1st/2nd focal plane and reticle preference over price. MOA click values may figure in also.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Define are explain = 1st/2nd focal plane and reticle preference over price?
    Thanks
    bib

Hi Stanley

IMHO "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" applies to answers your looking for. Without bias I think scope A is the clearest with the sharpest contrast. My eyes may be better or worse then yours. When I test scopes in a store I preposition two identical boxes with varing size print at the furthest point with line of sight from the counter (one in the light and the other recessed in the shadows under a shelf). See what you can or can't see. All things being equal or unknow on how clear they will be for your application, I would prioritize by 1st/2nd focal plane and reticle preference over price. MOA click values may figure in also.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    First focal plane means as scope power increases reticle & target size both increase , second focal plane just the target size increases while reticle stays the same . Many different types of reticles ie duplex , target dot , bdc , & your mil dot & other tactical stuff . If we knew what his intended purpose was it would be easier to make recommendations . He wants a 4 or 5X magnification range . Starting @ 4 or no more than 5X & with at least 18 to 20X on the top end . The big problem is that to be usable @ 20X optical clarity has to be very good . Not something one will find for under $600 , & it'll be hard to find for less than $1,000 . I'm fanatical on this as the cheapest hunting scope I've got is a Leupold VX3 . When you can't see thru it to take a shot , you can with my Kahles or Zeiss scopes with no problem . That's an example of optical clarity . Best lenses & coatings are not cheap .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom