Patriot Mobile

Help!!! I have 2 Marlin Model 60 rifles that won't eject rounds!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone427

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Help! I have not one, but two Marlin Model 60 rifles that are giving me a fit ejecting shells and loading new ones in the chamber. They are both pretty old and I would like to restore them for sentimental reasons. The first one is older, it's a 1973 Glenfield Marlin and its receiver internals are a little different than the other one which was made in 1994 and is not the Glenfield, but a plain ole model 60. I have disassembled both of these rifles and extensively cleaned them, but they both seem to hang up when the slide is about halfway and then the shell will jam or it will try to load another shell while one is still in the chamber. I was considering purchasing all of the internal parts from brownells unless anyone locally might have any suggestions without killing my wallet. As we all know, these rifles aren't the most expensive guns on the planet. I'd hate to pay someone more than the gun is worth to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks GCGF!!!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep looking until you find whatever you feel hanging up. Shotgunning the parts might make it worse. Not all gun parts are just direct drop in without a little fitting.

Are you sure there is no build-up in the chambers? Someone been shooting shorts in them?

tbone427

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've ran different brands of ammo, but they have all been 22lr. I know on the Glenfield (older one) that the feed throat or at least that is the part on brownells website is split at one end. I just want to get these guns in shape to actually shoot them. sentimental value. Or if I could find a reasonable gunsmith that won't charge me more to fix it than the guns are worth.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of the feeding problems I have encountered are caused by the magazine. You would be wrong to not think of this weapon as having a magazine.....it's just a tubular magazine. In fact the bullet has to follow a more complex route through this weapon than one with a standard mag. The feed mechanism has to present the next round at the right angle, ect. For everything thing to work....so make sure its doing that. I just repaired an old tube fed browning that had a jamming problem. Turned out that the internal feed lips were pushed too close together causing friction on the sides of the case.
    I would polish the bolt and inside of the receivers of both weapons to make sure it's not a friction issue.
    If you have known cracked or broken parts....replace them. I believe there is a buffer in the back of the model 60 assembly...might want new ones.
    Good luck.

T140

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had similar problem, ordered new spring for action mechanism from Brownell's and cured my problems. Still finiky about ammo, will not feed Remington to well. Good luck.

tbone427

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never even thought about the tube magazine being a problem. I will definitely check that out and I'm going to order the internals from Brownell's. I have read up on replacing the feed throat on the older one and everything I've read says that I have to file down one of the pins because the older Marlins only had 3 pins holding it in compared to the 4 pins in the newer ones.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Try the Rimfire Central website. They have an extensive forum for the Marlin 60. They may be able to help.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tbone: You need to address and troubleshoot the guns and their problems separately.
    You say "they both seem to hang up when the slide is about halfway and then the shell will jam or it will try to load another shell while one is still in the chamber"

1. You need to fix this first: "they try to load another shell while one is still in the chamber". This is a extraction problem.
    a. Using appropriated safety measures, Drop a new round directly into the chamber. Let the bolt go forward from full rear position, Pull bolt to rear. Did bolts extractor snap over the rim and allow extraction? Repeat 10 times Should function perfect every time.
    b. Repeat Test a. with a fired (expanded) case. Should work 10 for 10 also.
    c. Hot case test. Single load and fire ten rounds. Did all extract and eject properly?
    d. Any failures
    (1) Reclean recessed area that extractor fits into on rear of barrel/chamber area. Sometimes you really need to scratch these areas out due to carbon and powder buildup. Also clean the bolt groove the extractor lays in.
    (2) Worn, weak, broken extractor or spring.

2. "they both seem to hang up when the slide is about halfway and then the shell will jam"
    a. Does this happen when the bolt is released from full rear position manually?
    b. Does the bolt jam without ammo when cycled (empty)?
    c. Does the bolt jam when feeding one round (only one round in tube, low spring pressure)?
    (1) Ensure assembly is correct.
    (2) Remove action from receiver and cycle bolt feeling for binding. Then remove recoil spring (re-install rod) Check for binding?
    d. If no binding is found (2), assemble action on receiver and repeat tests with and without spring.
    e. Repair binding.
    f. Try someone else's recoil spring in your gun as a test or replace spring due to weakness.

3. The cracked feedthroat (cracked as in split) can be repaired/filled with JB Weld. Clean the part real well then used Electronics cleaner to remove all residue. Follow inst on package, remove all excess before it dries. It is sand-able so you can adjust contour as needed.

Provide feedback if you want followup.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Tube.pdf

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious.. Were you able to fix the problems? I have a marlin 60w and cant make it jam if i tried. Even shot 3500 rounds without cleaning it. It was dirty as hell but still funcutioned great.

tbone427

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't solved the problem yet, I kind of put them on the back burner for a moment. But I am going to order all new internals from Brownell's as soon as I get the chance to do so unless you have any ideas...

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently went through the same thing. Buy the 550-707-185WB Feed Throat Conversion Kit from brownells it will work (did for me at least) I went through everything on the gun several times with no luck until I installed this kit. Depending on how old yours is it might need a new style bolt also read the Q&A on the kit page. Mine did not need it. Also when installing make sure ejector spring goes in right position, very easy to have it installed wrong, I did at first... Good luck let me know if you have questions about doing it.
    Bob

tbone427

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks fv22......I'm going to check that conversion kit out and hopefully it will work on both of my marlins.....although, I will probably have to get a new style bolt for one of them

Top Bottom