• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Last Saturday I went to the gun show in Fort Walton, as me and my buddy "Bob" usually do.
    We go mostly as "therapy" for two old Vietnam vets. We often ponder about how things have drastically changed, and continue to change.
    For example: At one time, maybe 20 years ago, I bought 10 Chinese SKS carbines, in boxes, for $79 each and I gave them all away for Christmas presents!
    Saw one at the show, missing the bayonet, for $600!
    I actually was going to buy my "last firearm": a Ruger Wrangler .22 pistol. I found one displayed on a table with the box etc. and was ready to lay down some money when, upon closer examination, saw powder residue on the cyclinder and the typical (light) scoring around the cyclinder. Somewhat shocked, I asked the vendor why he's selling a used firearm as new? I further inspected the pistol, rotating the cyclinder and it locked up! I locked eyes with the vendor, handed the pistol back to him an walked away.
    At another table I found a "new" western style six-shooter (.22) with both cyclinders and the vender said it was made better than a Ruger. I think it was marked
    "Colt"! (Sure it was!). The vendor allowed me to pick it up declaring that it was even "double action"! I rotated the cyclinder and the whole action locked up!
    Again, I locked eyes with the (speechless) vendor, handed him his "Colt?) back and walked away...Geeeezzz!

I managed to find one at Jay's table, requested online pricing, and finally purchased my "last firearm".

Be safe out there!

Gun shows are traveling medicine shows nowadays, filled with snake oil salesmen.

It is getting harder to find good honest vendors. For the first time, I set up at the last gun show at the Shriner's temple in Pensacola. It was an experience. I try to be as honest as I can about what I sell as I do not want it to come back and bite me in the butt. I have a good reputation and I do not want to ruin it trying to sell something that it is not. As an individual, not a dealer, if I sell a firearm, it is all fine and dandy. If I do not, I will have to bide my time until it sells. It may be days or months, but I keep trying and hoping. Some private sellers are not as forthright. There was a private seller at the gun show at the Shriners' temple that had a Beretta 92X he was trying to sell for $900. I thought that was a bit high. He told me that it was made in the first three years of 92X manufacturing and the wood grips on it were Beretta grips that were on these when they were made during that time period. Something did not sound right, so I did some homework that afternoon when I got home. It turns out that what he told me was false. It turned out that the individual he bought the Beretta from told him that cock and bull story. He said he had $600 in it and that was a bit more than it was worth. You cannot believe everything a seller tells you. You have to be careful and discerning.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    I dunno if anyone in here got burned by the fake Leupold scopes, at the recent Shriners show. According to one of the honest vendors, someone had come through the show on Saturday selling fake Leupold scopes as real items. Apparently, several vendors got scammed. The honest seller told me the story and labeled the fake Leupold that he bought, as a fake/knockoff, and told me the differences. One of the easiest to spot differences was that the magnification lever markings had an “x” after each number. The glass looked clear and seemed nice, but they were knockoffs. I saw several other vendors with these same knockoff scopes on their tables for $500+ price tags….I assume they they had gotten burned by the same original person who sold them on Saturday, but they were still selling them as legit Leupolds. Saw a few other fake items in the show too.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    I dunno if anyone in here got burned by the fake Leupold scopes, at the recent Shriners show. According to one of the honest vendors, someone had come through the show on Saturday selling fake Leupold scopes as real items. Apparently, several vendors got scammed. The honest seller told me the story and labeled the fake Leupold that he bought, as a fake/knockoff, and told me the differences. One of the easiest to spot differences was that the magnification lever markings had an “x” after each number. The glass looked clear and seemed nice, but they were knockoffs. I saw several other vendors with these same knockoff scopes on their tables for $500+ price tags….I assume they they had gotten burned by the same original person who sold them on Saturday, but they were still selling them as legit Leupolds. Saw a few other fake items in the show too.
    Pretty sad. The seller must not believe in karma

Raven

Master
    I had bought a couple things here on the forum over the last year or so that needed a screw here and there, maybe a solvent bath, and an N frame that needed different grips... so I came to the Fort Walton show looking for parts, and I ended up selling them to a private collector with a table who's been a long time gun show circuit friend of mine. I sold them for the grand total of what I paid for them... which included gas to go get them originally, gas to the show and my $10 at the door. That's how I approached it with him. I was happy. He was happy. Win/win. He said he still had wiggle room to mark them up if he wanted to when he got done playing with them. I wish him the best. It's called capitalism and enhancing a private collection, and it's what made America great for the last couple hundred years

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    I usually enjoy meeting up with old friends at those carnivals that they call gun shows. They have become clownish events . Most days you can visit any honest local dealer and get better prices and a lot less bull shit. If you value your time , then the local shop is a better deal all the way around. But as I said I do enjoy the company of old friends while walking around watching the vendors spinning their webs hoping for a uniform buyer to wander in.

joekocon

Marksman
    I agree! My buddy Bob and I enjoy the "walkabout" and meeting like-minded people. The concern that I expressed earlier is that, like everywhere else, hucksters and downright devious people are also taking there place at the show. "Situational awareness" is what we used to call it!
    I once bought a .410 shotgun from an Air Force guy from Hurlburt. I expressly told him I was buying it for one of my grandkids. He assured me on the phone it was in great shape. So when I picked it up in the Target parking lot, we did a quick hello and exchange, and left. When I got the shotgun home I cycled it and guess what? The safety did not work! I took it apart, saw the problem and fixed it with about an hours work and effort.
    Later I sent him an email where I told him I was very disappointed and ashamed of him as a man, and as a soldier! No honor whatsoever!
    Never heard back from him. Lessons learned!

Raven

Master
    I agree! My buddy Bob and I enjoy the "walkabout" and meeting like-minded people. The concern that I expressed earlier is that, like everywhere else, hucksters and downright devious people are also taking there place at the show. "Situational awareness" is what we used to call it!
    I once bought a .410 shotgun from an Air Force guy from Hurlburt. I expressly told him I was buying it for one of my grandkids. He assured me on the phone it was in great shape. So when I picked it up in the Target parking lot, we did a quick hello and exchange, and left. When I got the shotgun home I cycled it and guess what? The safety did not work! I took it apart, saw the problem and fixed it with about an hours work and effort.
    Later I sent him an email where I told him I was very disappointed and ashamed of him as a man, and as a soldier! No honor whatsoever!
    Is it possible he didn't know? Did he admit to concealing that fact? I never use a safety on my shotguns. If I need it safe, I unload it. Reason is to not be mixing muscle memory between half a dozen different models of safeties. I rack it, it goes bang. Per NRA statistics you only got on average of 2.5 seconds to respond to a threat. Do you want 1.5 seconds of your last 2.5 seconds on earth to be trying to undo your safety? That 2.5 second average includes recognizing the threat and then getting your weapon on target too.

Very first shotgun I ever picked out was a 410 pump Mossberg, from the Main Exchange on Camp Pendleton :) I wish your grandkid all the best memories. I never got to leave the store with mine! Even after paying for it! My unit had lost my PCS orders and I couldn't transfer it to my armory without them, so I had to get a refund

Last edited:
    So at what point in this situation have you realized you could have done an inspection of the weapon on your own cognizance before you handed over money?

Or has that fact not crossed your mind yet?

I wouldn't have emailed back either if I got some trash like that from someone, exactly for the reason I stated above. Quick to call someone a liar when you had full control of the situation. This one is on you so the "email" was pure unnecessary harassment.

I inspect everything that comes into my hands before we do the transaction, and expect others to do the same. Once you accept it and money is handed over, leave the area, the deal is over. No need for further.

I recently did a deal with a member on here, bought a pistol he had. Came with 2 magazines, that he adjusted the price up for when he found it because he only had one mag at the time he had it posted. That second magazine isn't for the pistol. It "fits", but it's not for the pistol.

I let him know and made sure to call my Congressman. I have a letter in with the county law and one on the way to the Governor also.

These damn shady people....

Bowhntr6pt

Master

I sold a .22 rifle to a member on here a while back. When the member got it, he said the bolt was stuck and would not pull back. News to me... I told him to keep it and I returned his money.

Pretty sure I fired that rifle previously and all was in working order when I sent it... but I'm not the kind of guy to call another a liar unless I know for a fact, things happen, so I just let it ride as I had no reason to doubt his claim.

IronBeard

Master
    I usually enjoy meeting up with old friends at those carnivals that they call gun shows. They have become clownish events . Most days you can visit any honest local dealer and get better prices and a lot less bull shit. If you value your time , then the local shop is a better deal all the way around. But as I said I do enjoy the company of old friends while walking around watching the vendors spinning their webs hoping for a uniform buyer to wander in.
    The same is encountered/endured at fairs and pow-wows now. I guess maybe I've managed to live/move about long enough to be able to compare how it is to how it could be. Golden years. Ha!

The same is encountered/endured at fairs and pow-wows now. I guess maybe I've managed to live/move about long enough to be able to compare how it is to how it could be. Golden years. Ha!
    Pretty much how I look at it, got what I wanted in the 2016ish time frame and a few small stuff here and there since. Last big order of anything was Jan 2020 when it was low, saw all this current crap coming.

Now if I have $10 to piss away on the over priced entry fee to wander around and look at everything that is inflated beyond rational numbers, I'll go to a gun show. I've found it cheaper to pay my monthly internet bill and peruse the local forums.

Top Bottom