• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schick79

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm up to about 6 guns (5 pistols and a rifle). No kids at all in the house, and never will be. None ever come to the house either. Therefore, my only (uneducated) purpose for a gun safe is for protection from theft. My (again, uneducated) thought process is that if somebody was motivated enough, or had the manpower, they could just steal the safe, therefore I don't see much of a point. Plus, why make it harder and more time consuming to get to them if the need arises?

What other considerations are there? What am I not thinking of? I would prefer not to shell out the money for one, but I also realize there is a ton I don't know. Looking forward to the opinions of GCGF.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It is recommended that you bolt it down to the floor from the inside. Most people have other stuff in theirs besides guns, Jewelry, passports insurance papers and so on. I don't think any body with a safe has every gun locked up. Keep your best home defense gun unlocked and ready in a "hidden" location. Always buy a bigger safe than you think you need because collections grow and they never hold what they advertise. I think several places have some good deals on safes tomorrow.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I say go with a gun safe... It will never hurt. Even if you have a little one. I am more concerned about fire than a break in.

I have (3) three and one is an 1800lb fort knox. I also keep a little safe in it for passport, cash, electronics, etc...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?32795-Gun-safe&highlight=buying+safe

I recommend it. Buy and mount a SAFE not a cheapo metal locking storage box. Buy twice the storage size you need, tey fill up fast and mounted accessories ttake up more space. Time needed to break into it or remove it is the deterent. Various levels of fire protection are available. Run a anchored cable lock thru guns so they can't be removed through a small access hole.

I don't like digital key pad type or external hinges. Safe is only as good as the thinnest metal used in total construction. Multiple locking lugs should be present on all sides of door. At your current level, you don't need to spend major money. Like guns you can upgrade as your needs grow. Old/smaller safes can be resold or used for ammo.

There are a lot of vids on breaking into safes, they in turn show what provides the greatest deterent.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A safe is a great way to constantly run a dehumidifier as well for that extra protection. A cheap heat bar works great.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For theft protection - Dog. I've got two, and nobody wants to come inside without being invited. All you need is a good deep bark to keep people out of the house. All else - as you see, plenty of reasons for a safe.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    A must have for all the reasons above...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fishman57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Good advice. I wish I would have got one twice the size of the one I bought.Acadamy has one for 499.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doradohunter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A good safe is also fire and flood protection. Just bought my first safe a few months ago and already am looking to upgrade. There is no way you can fit 20 guns in my 24 gun safe. I have 8 guns in mine and it's crowded. I'm upgrading to a 45 gun safe in a few months. Saving my pennies.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Buy a good one ,it saved me one time had every thing in it guns, papers, money, Just one time is well worth it, Have had two incidents was home for one and not for the other, shot gun helped with one, if you decide not to get one please send me your address, just my 5 cents jj

S_SHELL

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    get one, figure out what size you need then double that and it might be the right size i got one a few years ago that i thought would be plenty big enough and now its crowded and i need another one

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like said...get one, get bigger than you think and anchor it down. A professional thief can defeat a safe...that is not why I have one. Many thefts are local, thefts of opportunity and sometimes by people you know. If a person steals a gun and gets caught, prison time is much greater than that when cash, jewelry and medication is taken. Once you have one, then you have one for life...really a small investment in total when you look at all you may have in guns, ammo, cash, jewelry and important papers. If married, they are great against fires too so you can store important family pictures and heirlooms as well...wedding stuff if your signigicant other balks at the cost. My wife is very supportive and I'll likely get a second one soon.

Also, a thing to note, the safes with the solid steel plate doors are more secure than the ones with the thick looking doors...they tend to be composite and are easier to defeat. The ones with the solid steel plate doors are much more expensive but like many things in life you get what you pay for. My safe is not an expensive one and I'm really guarding against crackhead amatuers and fire/tornado. Your insurance on auto and home is much more than a safe... a decent one that will hold your collection and some ammo with a little room to grow can be had for 700-900 easily. The really good ones run upwards of 3-4K

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best advice given in this thread in order of importance:

1. Get one it can't hurt. Of course it won't stop a professional, but it has many other benefits.

2. Get one twice the size you think you will need.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just purchased my first for $700 not the biggest but good protection. I was long overdue and still need another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had an "OLD TIME" say if you need a safe, that means you have to many and the bad guys may waited till you come home and make you open it for them, just saying :ballchain:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had an "OLD TIME" say if you need a safe, that means you have to many and the bad guys may waited till you come home and make you open it for them, just saying :ballchain:

Thus my safe's placement, other firearms hidden with fast access to me and even the day I brought it home and installed it the deed was done under cover, I was helped by two people I trust completely and never discussed outside of us. My wife is the most closed lipped female I've ever met. Besides, it's not like my collection is worth all that. I know plenty of people that like to brag, have 25 times as many firearms as me and they're much easier targets.

Mine is mostly for short term security and I exercise many more types of home protection.

Top Bottom