• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    275 gr Barnes copper in front of the minimum charge weight of H110 Winchester LRM primer is as light as I found.

Last edited:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's the minimum charge?

42 gr for the 275 XPB. Uses a large rifle magnum primer for this load. Should chrony 1950fps or so at 44k pressure. Hogdon has a pretty good online manual for the .500 with a couple of powders

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'll bet that'll make a nice blast of out the 4". Definitely worth a try. Should be smooth out of the 8" Thanks!

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Anyone use the Lee Reloading stand?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/324379/lee-reloading-stand
    Being as how our house sold last week, so well do at least 2 moves before we're in our newly built house, I'm gonna hold off on the gun/work/safe room setup. Looks like a great little portable piece of kit to set up in a closet just about anywhere.
    I'm sitting on 66 de capped pieces of brass, ready to be cleaned and primed while I find bullets. Haven't gotten out to Styx, but Larry at Ammunition Sales said he could cast me some if I don't find them anywhere else. I picked up some Large Rifle Magnum primers, H110 and Win296 (IIRC) from him this evening. Great guy and well stocked for most reloading needs.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've used something similar and it doesn't work very good, you really need a solid table to mount any press too. A friend of mine in AZ has that set up and I don't know how he uses it, he hates it but lives in an apartment for now so he can't do anything else. He's added a 100 lbs more weight to it which made it better, but it's still not the best. One thing you can do to help it if you get it, is to tie the top into the wall. That'll help keep it from wanting to tilt forward.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^
    That's exactly why I was asking. I actually decapped holding the press with one hand and pulling the lever with the other, and saw how much force it actually takes, so I was skeptical that a setup with such a small footprint could provide the necessary opposing force to work properly. I might just have to build something.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone use the Lee Reloading stand?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/324379/lee-reloading-stand
    Being as how our house sold last week, so well do at least 2 moves before we're in our newly built house, I'm gonna hold off on the gun/work/safe room setup. Looks like a great little portable piece of kit to set up in a closet just about anywhere.
    I'm sitting on 66 de capped pieces of brass, ready to be cleaned and primed while I find bullets. Haven't gotten out to Styx, but Larry at Ammunition Sales said he could cast me some if I don't find them anywhere else. I picked up some Large Rifle Magnum primers, H110 and Win296 (IIRC) from him this evening. Great guy and well stocked for most reloading needs.
    What did you lube the cases with??? If you don't lube your case's u run the risk one being jammed in ur sizing/decapping die. And that's no fun removing plus u lose a case. Hobar freight has a good looking work bench for $143.99 with coupon.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^
    I'm really bummed I missed it, but I've got everything I need except for bullets. Gonna try to pick those up today.

How did you have the powder contraption set up? The expander die has a hole up top. I'm wondering if I can get them to work together.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The powder throw I sold u is ment be mounted to bench. Then u have to throw powder for each case at a time. After u have used a scale to set the powder throw to the amount of powder that u want to start with. Start low an work up.

Last edited:

Jherexx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I might try that, is there a household item that can be used?

Mobil1 synthetic 30W is what I use to lube cases, a little goes a long way. I put a light film on my thumb and forefinger and spread it on the outside of the case, once you size the first case you should be good to go for the next 5 to 10 cases. You don't need it for carbide dies but it does make it easier to resize those big cases.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^Brilliant! I have plenty of that. I'll definitely try that. They didn't feel sticky, but I'm very surprised I'm not sore today, lol. Thanks.

Top Bottom