• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know anybody that will do the machine work to modify the Glock slides to the MOS system and where do you get the base plates for the red dots and what do you think this will run? :yo:

Glock says it will add about are around $75.00 from what I have read so far to the cost of the new G4 model 17 & 19 with MOS?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you are talking the machineing to cut the void and the drill and tap,plus supply the screws ....... BIG BUCKS. Sell your guns,take a loss,buy a MOS,... would be alot cheaper. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    MOS is stupid. When trying to have the cut work with all the red dots, it ends up really not working with any.
    JMO, 0.02, etc...
    PTAC Crestview for RMR cut AFAIK, but like any good smith, there's a wait. Buying an already cut slide is also an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mark Housel at L&M Precision has been doing RDS cuts for years. He's done 4 for me and several hundred for friends and students. Like Dan said the MOS system is stupid and not all that good; kind of like a Leatherman is an ok pair of pliers, but not as good as purpose built pliers.

After seeing some of PTACs work on a couple of friend's guns I wouldn't use them and they are the most convenient for me to use. They started out great, but have been having a lot of issues lately.

http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input sawman, that the conclusion that I came to also, but have bumped Glock to see what they say about this process?

If you are talking the machineing to cut the void and the drill and tap,plus supply the screws ....... BIG BUCKS. Sell your guns,take a loss,buy a MOS,... would be alot cheaper. --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Big bucks?? It's $145 for the cut and tap and an extra $20 if you want cerakote over the cut instead of cold blue. It's also a more secure mounting system than the MOS.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, That's not to bad of a price for doing the cut, but the cost of the plate adapters and cover plate on the cut is on your dime, so we're talking $145.00 + the cost of the plate adapters and cover plate, correct?

Would total out over $200.00+ to have this worked done, correct?

Like the sawman is saying better to sell and buy new if a person wanted one of them 17 or 19???

Big bucks?? It's $145 for the cut and tap and an extra $20 if you want cerakote over the cut instead of cold blue. It's also a more secure mounting system than the MOS.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Uhhhhhhh ........... ---> BIG BUCKS ..... at least to me it is. ---

That is just to get ir "ready" for the sight. Your problem to be solved is TARGETING. Depending on the application for the weapons usage,why not have a high powered green laser. Install yourself,no permanient mod to the weapon,no down time for gunsmith and/or shipping,cost of shipping,etc. --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, That's not to bad of a price for doing the cut, but the cost of the plate adapters and cover plate on the cut is on your dime, so we're talking $145.00 + the cost of the plate adapters and cover plate, correct?

Would total out over $200.00+ to have this worked done, correct?

Like the sawman is saying better to sell and buy new if a person wanted one of them 17 or 19???

There are no adapter plates. It's cut for your sight. The adapter plates are a horrible idea for a carry/SD gun. They don't support the sight the way a dedicated cut does. The MOS plates transfer recoil to the #8 mounting screws vs. being a custom cut that prevents the slide from moving and takes the stress off of the screws. I'd grab a MOS for a game /fun/hunting gun, but not much else. I've been running RDS equipped Glocks since 2010 when Mark started doing them and haven't had any issues. I've taught red dot specific classes at the training company I used to work for and seen more of these things in a weekend than most people will ever see.

It's $65 for a cover plate if you want to take the sight off and fill the void. Not sure why a person would do that, but they are sold so someone must be doing it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooo ....... you are advocating a "carry/SD" gun have a dot type sight ?? Do you leave the irons on it ?? I figured ya'll was talkin' hunting and or competition guns.

Personally,I would never have a lighted sight(red dot/green dot) on a weapon that I was betting my life on. Even if it was to co-witness to a great set of tritium type irons. Also IMO a open red dot type sight is not needed at the CCW/SD ranges of 15yds max. At these distances you should be able to hit COM without any sights whatsoever with the carry gun that you have been training with.

And "is cut for your sight" means that it is that particular sight or nothing,right. --- SAWMAN

daehawc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a FNX 45 Tactical which has a similar setup as the MOS. It's wearing a RMR on it and I've had no issues. I'm sure as people say, a dedicated cut for the specific optic is better but at a large cost increase and lack of versatility. Plus, it then becomes much harder to sell the custom slide. I'll consider a Glock 19 MOS when they start hitting the streets just to have the option. I dont see a down side to having the option to slap on any optic you end up deciding on. And if you change your mind you dont have to buy a new slide.

As far as an optic on a carry sight, why not? If it makes you faster and more accurate during competition I'd say thats still a plus for defense. As long as it still fits with your carry style, I'd say go for it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^
    The downside, as Don said, the MOS system will not cowitness with standard tall or suppressor sights. To me, that's a deal breaker.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shop  Glock MOS Sight Sets

Thinking I did get these from Dawson, Got a set of these that fit my G40 and do co-witness with no problems as far as I can tell

We make Sight Buying Worry Free with the Dawson Perfect Impact Policy.
    Dawson Precision Perfect Impact Sights make the great pistols listed below even better.
    All sights listed below are produced by Dawson Precision to fit Glock MOS sight cuts.
    Dawson Glock MOS sights are available for co-witness of red dot scope or non co-witness.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sooooo ....... you are advocating a "carry/SD" gun have a dot type sight ?? Do you leave the irons on it ?? I figured ya'll was talkin' hunting and or competition guns.

Sure, they use suppressor height sights that are co-witnessed.

Personally,I would never have a lighted sight(red dot/green dot) on a weapon that I was betting my life on. Even if it was to co-witness to a great set of tritium type irons. Also IMO a open red dot type sight is not needed at the CCW/SD ranges of 15yds max. At these distances you should be able to hit COM without any sights whatsoever with the carry gun that you have been training with.

They are a myriad of reasons they are suitable for SD/HD, but if you're not comfortable with them nothing wrong with keeping iron sights only.

And "is cut for your sight" means that it is that particular sight or nothing,right. --- SAWMAN

Meaning that particular style of sight i.e. RMR, Vortex, Burris etc.

They aren't for everyone, but for example those with eye issues preventing them from getting a clear focus on the front sight they are a good alternative to spray and pray or giving up shooting all together.
    I'm currently carrying a 1911 with FO front sight and "U-notch" rear sight and it works for me for most applications, but it's not even close to being as precise as a 3.5moa dot. For 5 years my EDC was either a RMR equipped G21SF or G17.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Pardon me but I apparently still do not understand. How "precise" do you have to be at CCW gunfight ranges. IMO 15yds is far. More likely 7yds will be closer to the real distance. Is the dot needed to hit a BG anywhere in COM at 7yds.??

If a dot OR a laser were faster then I could understand the CCW/SD,extra bulk,something else to go wrong,thing. (Kinda) I have a Lasermax in my Glock 32. The app for that weapon is a "around the club" gun. Also a gun to finish off wounded animals or for tracking wounded hogs at night or during the daylight hours in thick brush. I have a Viridian high powered green laser on my Glock 20 but that is a pistol hunting weapon.

If an individual is so inclined as to feel the need for a dot on a CCW/SD pistol that is his/her choice. Please understand that I do not feel that is the wrong choice ....... I still am in the "trying to understand the choice" phase.

A person that has vision problems or any other disability where a dot will make him a better shooter,hunter,or competitor,I can definitely understand their motive. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    He just wants it Bill, that's all there's to it. FWIW, at 7 yds, you don't need sights at all. Lol. A red dot IS faster than lining up than lining up sights. That really can't be argued, but it can be though not really the point of the thread. At all.

daehawc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think it really adds bulk that's noticeable for carry. The location of the red dot on the pistol is in a spot that is already concealed easily.

I agree that in a mugging type close range attack it may not be much of an advantage but I don't think it could be a hindrance either. Now imagine you are at a location that has an active shooter. Say a mall. Ranges may increase that still necessitate your intervention. Just one thought of where it could be a distinct advantage.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pardon me but I apparently still do not understand. How "precise" do you have to be at CCW gunfight ranges. IMO 15yds is far. More likely 7yds will be closer to the real distance. Is the dot needed to hit a BG anywhere in COM at 7yds.??

Is that the only shot that ever has to be taken? I prefer to train worst case not best case.

If a dot OR a laser were faster then I could understand the CCW/SD,extra bulk,something else to go wrong,thing. (Kinda) I have a Lasermax in my Glock 32. The app for that weapon is a "around the club" gun. Also a gun to finish off wounded animals or for tracking wounded hogs at night or during the daylight hours in thick brush. I have a Viridian high powered green laser on my Glock 20 but that is a pistol hunting weapon.

I notice no difference in speed for better or worse with an RDS at "normal" SD distances so it's a wash. I do notice a difference in low light situations where a light isn't needed for PID, but it's too light for night sights and too dark for sights without backlighting.

If an individual is so inclined as to feel the need for a dot on a CCW/SD pistol that is his/her choice. Please understand that I do not feel that is the wrong choice ....... I still am in the "trying to understand the choice" phase.

I don't think either RDS or irons are a wrong choice. Like boxers vs. briefs; it's a personal choice.

A person that has vision problems or any other disability where a dot will make him a better shooter,hunter,or competitor,I can definitely understand their motive. --- SAWMAN

No worries, like I said earlier, I don't think either is a wrong choice. As long as someone is training with their gear and knows how to use it without being a safety hazard all is good.

Top Bottom