• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, seeing as most of y'all have finished the book, I guess the Mr and I should go ahead and finish it as well and just discuss it as a whole?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, same problem here. My wife thinks I should treat fiction books like a new bag of Oreos. You know, just take a few and save the rest for later. I tend to eat the whole bag in one sitting and then sit there with the asking "is that all there is? LOL

I do realize though that a lot of folks don't have that much free time to burn through a book in a night or two. I watch very little TV and many nights I come home and never even look at the screen. I'm reading when a lot of people are watching their favorite shows. Another thing is when the time changes. I stay active outside till dark and when we Fall Back I suddenly feel like I have 3-4 more hours to burn.

I'm good with continuing any way the rest of the group feels is best.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will post the remaining questions this weekend, then on to the next book. I want to say how awesome it is to hear of some of you reading for the first time in 10+ years. I'm open to suggestions for the next book, I do have one in mind but would like your input. Shall we stick with this genre or venture outside the box a little more?

Clay

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've thought about the genre choices myself Clay. I'm open to anything short of Harlequin romances. LOL

Maybe not the next book but down the road maybe a Western? I have read very few in my life. Don't know why.

Probably best to stay well away from anything politically packed.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BTW- Would any of you be interested in starting a Charcuterie Club? I think this would serve us well regarding prepping, would also be a nice way for GCGF folks to come together FTF. We could plan for it after the holidays, give folks a few months to experiment, then bring their best recipe to a 'dinner club' type evening, sharing the end results with all, swapping techniques and recipes, drinking adult beverages, trading molotov cocktail formulas, etc...=) We could rotate host locations and/or meeting at local pubs/eateries. I'm pitching this here as I feel those cultured enough to participate in a book club, may also be receptive to this as well.

For those that don't know what Charcuterie is, here's a few hints.... Let me know your thoughts, I'm pretty sure the Chiefs and Ian are in.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298

Charcuterie.jpg

Attachments

• Charcuterie.jpg
      Charcuterie.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 224
    Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've thought about the genre choices myself Clay. I'm open to anything short of Harlequin romances. LOL

Maybe not the next book but down the road maybe a Western? I have read very few in my life. Don't know why.

Probably best to stay well away from anything politically packed.

Good suggestion, yes, politics won't bode us well here if we want to stay a cohesive group I feel....

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, about to show my lack of education here but had to do a Wiki search for the term Charcuterie. Sounds really interesting. I'm wide open to trying anything edible and enjoy cooking and food prep.

Another confession here: Please don't laugh. I'll really have to start at the basics because I'm not a hunter. I don't mean I have anything at all against hunting, it's just that the opportunities never really presented themselves in my life. My father didn't hunt and I never seemed to have good friends that hunted either. Just not anything that ever crossed my path, and I sure ain't gonna go with zero knowledge. My next door neighbor hunts every second he can and belongs to a large club. I've been wanting to breech the subject with him and see if he might be open to introducing a newbie. I've been around the firearm end of things most of my life and average about once a week at the range so I don't believe I'd do anything stupid. LOL Sure as hell probably should start learning some skills just in case I ever need them.

I tell that because getting involved in the Charcuterie club I'd have to obtain the meat the regular way.

I've also been interested (another thing not pursued) in preservation and non-traditional ways of preparing fish and seafood.

Yep, I'd be interested in it. I also was thinking that at some point after the hectic holiday season we could all at least have a meet somewhere.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, no reason you could not use store-bought meat, but if you're interested in hunting, we can do something about that.

Last edited:

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One, no reason to apologize for asking questions or 'confessing' that you don't know much about something. I have no idea what that word is that Clay said (I'm on my phone so I can't go back and check it with ease) I do know what a dinner club is and I LOVE to cook! I don't have access to game either, so it would be store bought stuff unless I ordered something online.
    Mr and I have talked about creating a section for survivalist/preppers and also creating a group of people that was trustworthy enough to convene at a predetermined location...OK, now I'm showing my paranoia and should stop typing...

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clay, maybe we could do that next season. I'd like that. I've always enjoyed shooting clays (the round, orange kind, not the book club starter variety) and think bird hunting might be neat. Deer hunting would be interesting too but, one more confession to make here: If I, by some miracle, bagged one I may be a little white skinned and sweaty while cleaning it. I can gut and clean fish all day, dressed out a few squirrels in my life but a deer would be a whole new ballgame. I'm not the weak stomach type, dealt with emergencies (first to arrive at bad car and aviation accidents a couple of times) and blood a good deal. I held together just fine but dressing a deer might be a bit rough the first time. Again, absolutely no misgivings, just lack of exposure.

MsChief, My concern was over the "never hunted" confession, not the remark I made about not knowing what Charcuterie was.

I live in the sticks surrounded by outdoor sportsmen, frequent gun stores, ranges and overall live the country lifestyle. I get asked occasionally where and what I hunt. When I respond I sometimes get the "farted in church' look. Guess I tend to go overboard attempting to explain myself. I try to make it very clear that I am NOT an anti-hunting or a PETA type. Probably conditioning. My NDN looked at me oddly for a long time on those Saturday mornings while loading his firearms and hunting stuff in his truck while I'm throwing model airplane crates, transmitter cases and toolboxes into mine.

Just a twisted defense mechanism I guess. Especially alerted on this forum.

Oh, and on a similar note, a few Christmas lights to spread the holiday cheer...........:whistle:

Attachments

• Hanging-deer-Christmas-lights.jpg
      Hanging-deer-Christmas-lights.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 186
    Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One, no reason to apologize for asking questions or 'confessing' that you don't know much about something. I have no idea what that word is that Clay said (I'm on my phone so I can't go back and check it with ease) I do know what a dinner club is and I LOVE to cook! I don't have access to game either, so it would be store bought stuff unless I ordered something online.
    Mr and I have talked about creating a section for survivalist/preppers and also creating a group of people that was trustworthy enough to convene at a predetermined location...OK, now I'm showing my paranoia and should stop typing

Did you watch last night, the guy who cried after his buddy fired a round in a shooting tower? I almost broke into the Dora potty, I was rolling..".

Top Bottom